Repairing a Table Damaged by Water and Bleach

How do I repair my wooden table? I accidentally left a cloth that had a mix of water and bleach soaked into it and now there is a white stain. I tried furniture polish, but that didn't work either. It just looks like a white spot. Any solutions that work? Please help.

Best Answer

Try saturating the stain with mayonnaise. Leave a half hour and buff off. If that doesnt work, the bleach damaged the finish and you will have to strip, sand and stain again.

Best Answer

If it is just a stain, you may be able to remove it from the methods described below. Or there are tons of YouTube videos to fix a stain.

The issue is usually much more serious in that it ate the finish and got to the wood. So then you would remove the "stain" but see damage underneath it.

When this happens, at least in my experience, it requires stripping, sanding and refinishing.

When I was much younger, I could tackle such projects with ease and did over several "ruined" pieces--a side table, a night table, and a chair.

Now I would not even venture to try it, especially since the other day when I saw a big news story that the stripper I used to use is poison (I guess I always figured, but I was young).

www.nytimes.com/.../lowes-drops-paint-strippers-blamed...

The article has been around for a while, not sure why my local news picked it up this week.

Anyhow, if the finish is ruined, you may want to price out having a refinisher look at it, I don't suggest DIY now.

Post back what you decide. Best wishes!!

Hi,

I would try vinegar and olive oil and rub this mixture into the grain of the table. Use a clean cloth to gently buff the area, to bring it back to a shine.

Robyn