Wooden Table Damaged By Pine-Sol

My husband cleaned our nice wooden table with Pine-Sol? Now it has white streaks everywhere and looks very dull and ruined. Any ideas on how to remove these? Thanks.

Stacey from Stephenson, VA

This sounds crazy, but try mayonnaise. I was mgr. for a cleaning company and a client asked me if I could fix his table. Said been that way long time. It was watermarks or from heat. Rub in mayonnaise then take a clean soft cloth and clean it until the greasiness is gone. I found this tip in a magazine. Works beautifully!

I tried the mayo and it worked. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Old English makes a wonderful scratch cover. I'm not sure if it comes in a light color, because I prefer the dark color. It "feeds" the wood and makes scratches disappear. I'd try it on the problem you have. I just love this product as it makes furniture look like NEW. It seems expensive, but I have had one bottle for about 30 years. It goes a long way. Be careful as it stains your clothing, carpets, etc. I let it set for awhile after I apply it so it can soak in. Then, I wipe it off.

In the future, tell your husband to use Murphy's Oil Soap which is made for washing wood. But as a rule, wood and water don't mix. lol Good luck

I don't think is the water as much as the quality of the wood. Real wood is almost fool proof, (except fire), but any other "modern" cocktail wood forget it.

The streaks are probably either furniture wax disSOLved (the "SOL" in Pine-Sol), or water damage.

I would try a furniture polish, such as Old English, as mentioned by Carol. Mayo, composed mostly of oil, may also work. Good luck!