Wood Cabinets Damaged By Murphy's Oil Soap

Category Kitchen
If the finish on a cabinet is compromised it is possible for cleaners such as oil soaps diluted with water to seep under it. If this has happed to you there are some ideas for solutions in this guide.

I used Murphy's Oil Soap on my cherrywood cabinets. One was especially dirty around the knob on the cabinet door. I cleaned it multiple times to get the dirt off and now the finish looks bleached. How can I restore it?

Answers

Best Answer

Murphys is famous for doing this to floors....What has probably happened is it has gotten thru the polyurethane on the cabinet door. (it happens to floors a lot as they are scratched easier from all the traffic). You may have to sand it down and restain it and repoly it.

I'm more inclined to think it was the tool you cleaned with that damaged the cabinet, not the soap.

Did you use steel wool or another abrasive item?

You can get some crayons to match your cabinet and cover the damage pretty well.

I have found that Murphy's Oil Soap is an excellent product for cleaning most all types of wood but only if used exactly as directions specify. It is easy to make even little mistakes so do not feel bad or be discouraged as there are probably several ways to restore your cabinet finish.
That said - since Murphy's Oil Soap is such a very old and reliable company - they will answer your questions and they will probably have the best solution. Here is their web site where you can ask for help:

www.colgatepalmolive.com/.../contact-us

Here is also their web site that tells the "only" way to use their product:

www.murphyoilsoap.com/.../how-to-clean-wood-cabinets

I agree that it has gone through to the wood.
What you're seeing is a circle of wear around your cabinet handles where your hand wears off some of the finish. That allowed the moisture to get down to the wood.
I would try a hair dryer on low heat or just not too close and see if you can dry it out a little before using any other product.