Wood Cabinets Damaged By Murphy's Oil Soap

Category Kitchen
If the finish on a cabinet is compromised it is possible for cleaners such as oil soaps diluted with water to seep under it. If this has happed to you there are some ideas for solutions in this guide.

I used Murphy's Oil Soap on my cherrywood cabinets. One was especially dirty around the knob on the cabinet door. I cleaned it multiple times to get the dirt off and now the finish looks bleached. How can I restore it?

Answers

Best Answer

From the photos, it more looks like the sort of moisture damage that comes from using something too wet on wood. Kind of like when you leave a glass and get a moisture ring.

The best cure I've come across for this (and I had some awful ones) is to put mayonnaise on it for 15 minutes, rub it in then take it out.

After, take a 50 50 mix of water and baking soda and rub it on the area. Afterwards wipe it off. It looks amazing

Next time you use Murphy's oil soap just don't dilute it as much and should be fewer problems

Best Answer

Murphys is famous for doing this to floors....What has probably happened is it has gotten thru the polyurethane on the cabinet door. (it happens to floors a lot as they are scratched easier from all the traffic). You may have to sand it down and restain it and repoly it.

I'm more inclined to think it was the tool you cleaned with that damaged the cabinet, not the soap.

Did you use steel wool or another abrasive item?

You can get some crayons to match your cabinet and cover the damage pretty well.

I have found that Murphy's Oil Soap is an excellent product for cleaning most all types of wood but only if used exactly as directions specify. It is easy to make even little mistakes so do not feel bad or be discouraged as there are probably several ways to restore your cabinet finish.

That said - since Murphy's Oil Soap is such a very old and reliable company - they will answer your questions and they will probably have the best solution. Here is their web site where you can ask for help:

www.colgatepalmolive.com/.../contact-us

Here is also their web site that tells the "only" way to use their product:

www.murphyoilsoap.com/.../how-to-clean-wood-cabinets