Browsing: Homemade Furniture Polish Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Furniture Polish Recipes

Use simple ingredients instead of harsh chemicals to keep your wood tables, chairs and other surfaces clean and polished. This page contains recipes for homemade furniture polish.

A hand holding a bright yellow cloth to polish a wood surface.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 14, 2008 Flag

Here is a great tip on saving money on furniture polish.

Combine the oil and lemon juice in the spray bottle. Shake well before using.

Use a clean, dry cloth to buff and polish. Works wonders and saves you money!

By Sabrina from Council, NC

I saw the following recipe on a video:

Cut 5 lemons in half and squeeze all the juice into a measuring cup until you have 1/2 cup pure juice (remove any pulp and seeds). Pour lemon juice into a spray bottle, then add 1 cup olive oil. Shake mixture until well mixed. The acid in the lemon juice will prevent the olive oil from spoiling.

Now you can be environmentally safe and polish all of your furniture eliminating the harmful fumes in the commercial furniture polishes. Source: MSN

By MCW from NY

November 5, 2004 Flag

This furniture polish is easy to make. You'll need turpentine, boiled linseed oil and lemon juice (or vinegar).

Ingredients

Put all the ingredients in a glass jar. Put the lid on the jar and shake until mixed. Then apply to furniture using a lightly damp cloth. Dip the cloth in the furniture polish and apply to your furniture. Let sit for 30 minutes and then polish with a soft, clean cloth. Pretest mixture on an inconspicuous part of your furniture if you have not used this polish before. If you have a big job you can make a bigger batch but don't make more than you need, this mixture doesn't store well.

Do you have a furniture polish recipe? Post it below or submit it to our tip contest.

February 21, 2013 Flag

Can I use vegetable oil instead of olive oil for the recipe that calls for lemon juice and olive oil?

By grandmaninnybug

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, you can.

September 19, 2010 Flag

I would like to get a recipe for homemade furniture polish. I am going as organic and natural as possible.

By Rita

Recipes are listed in the Archives.

I mix together about 1/4 cup white vinegar and a good tablespoon of jojoba oil in a bowl, then apply with a soft rag. Then take a dry corner and buff it to wipe off excess oil. You don't really need much oil to make a good furniture polish and this way it doesn't turn out too greasy. For scent I add a couple drops of cedar essential oil, though lemon would be nice too.

Jojoba oil is light and doesn't go rancid like olive oil. It's also great for the skin so it's nice to have around.

January 8, 2007 Flag

Can I make a homemade recipe with lemon oil and vinegar for my furniture?

Carol from Fayetteville, NC

Try www.prohardware.com. They have lots of recipes for homemade concoctions.

I'd forget the Vinegar(a weak acid) MIXED with Lemon Oil, because I believe it would just partially dissolve the Oil, wouldn't it? I'd use lemon oil straight as I have for an antique Piano I own. It's just great and doesn't bleach at all. The woods love it. At least, the bottle SAYS "Lemon Oil", and it's clear/oily/fragrant and works! What more could you want? How are you getting your lemon oil?

September 11, 2004 Flag

This solution will clean and polish. If your cabinets are pretty dirty, you will probably want to use the Wood Cabinet Cleaner first.

September 11, 2004 Flag

In a screw-top jar, mix equal parts: denatured alcohol (from a hardware store) strained fresh lemon juice (not canned or frozen) olive oil

May 23, 2008 Flag

I ran out furniture polish and need to polish my wood furniture, any home tips anyone can give to me will be helpful.

Thank you!
Priscilla from Texas

Answers:

Homemade Furniture Polish

I used to be a die hard pledge fan until I quit using toxic store bought cleaning products. I tried this recipe from the queen of clean and am hooked.

Fill a clean spray bottle with:

• 1 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar

Shake well. To use spray on clean cloth and use as you would store bought product. I follow up with a clean rag to get any excess product off.

The olive oil conditions wood and gives it that nice shine while the vinegar cleans the surface, I was skeptical before using this recipe but was hooked after the first time using it. My furniture does not get greasy and the vinegar smell isn't bothersome and goes away quickly.
(07/31/2007)

By tthompson

Homemade Furniture Polish

Use 1 cup of olive oil and 1/3 cup of lemon juice.
Put this in a spray bottle and shake well before using. Use a clean dry cloth to apply to furniture. This will give your furniture a beautiful shine ! (02/27/2008)

By barrsbits

September 19, 2010 Flag

This is an excellent furniture polish and most everyone has these two products in their home. Use equal parts of olive oil and vinegar (like 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup vinegar). It cleans and shines at the same time!

By laniegirl from IA

Answers:

Homemade Furniture Polish

I think olive oil can go rancid. I have not heard of other timber oils such as tung oil or linseed oil going rancid. They are natural oils so why not use those oils, a 50/50 mix of turpentine and raw linseed oil is a good outdoor oil for decks that need oiling or outdoor furniture. It is also good for protecting outside working tools such as rakes or shovels with wooden handles.

For inside timber I would use boiled linseed oil as this dries quicker with less smell. I wouldn't use vinegar with the linseed unless the timber needed cleaning, ie. dirt or grime. If the timber is clean I would use just linseed oil. Check whether the original surface was oiled, varnished, or shellaced. Linseed oil will only work on an oiled surface. Definitely get a second opinion on antique finishes as you don't want to damage them or try the oil on an inconspicuous area so that no damage is done. (07/30/2010)

By rustyreks

Homemade Furniture Polish

I tried this and I also tried using lemon juice and regular oil, both left my furniture really shiny and I thought it was great. Unfortunately, a few days later, when I tried to dust, I noticed it was really tacky and sticky. I wouldn't recommend it, but it might work better for you. I live on the humid coast. (07/30/2010)

By eveh

Homemade Furniture Polish

Sorry to put a dampener on this hint, but I had the same problem as eveh a few years ago. It took hours of scrubbing with hand washing dish detergent, like Dawn, to remove the goo. Perhaps I had the same problem, as in the summer, the weather here is very humid. (07/31/2010)

By Cett

July 29, 2010 Flag

I need a homemade recipe for furniture "cleaner/polish" that will not hurt some of my older wooden pieces.

November 16, 2009 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

July 31, 2007 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Furniture PolishOctober 14, 2011
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:15:03 AM on 10.0.2.36 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.