Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather

Category Other
Nail polish remover does a great job of removing polish, but if used or spilled on leather it can damage the dye. This is a guide about fixing nail polish remover stains on leather.

We just had the dreaded nail polish remover stain on leather scenario, and the shoe polish tip has worked a treat. It's a brown leather sofa and I just worked some brown wax shoe polish into the stains, let it dry, then buffed it up. The stains weren't too bad and one application does seem to have done the trick. Happy days :)

I used nail polish remover to remove paint from my brown leather sofa. It took the paint off, but also the color. Any ideas on what I can use to put some color back in? I already tried shoe polish and it did not work. Thanks for your help.

By kimgmv from Dallas, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I used paste shoe polish on my dark brown leather furniture and it covered a spot nicely. Also, they make leather dye for home use. Check with a good leather furniture store.

Best Answer

To do it right, contact a shoe or saddle repair shop, as they will have actual leather dye and can help you put it back correctly. Or a Tandy Leather Store, and it will probably be a two step finish to restore both the color and the shine. Good Luck!

Best Answer

The sofa manufacturer may have a dye you can buy for a perfect match, call them and explain. After this it is a good idea to call them BEFORE attempting to remove any stains, things like this can void the warranty. Good luck.

Best Answer

I just used an instant black polish. I reckon I'm lucky as mine is black, and black is pretty much 'black', some people might struggle with brown and tan shades of sofa.

Anyway it worked a treat and I've gone round covering up every little scratch and it looks great!

I splashed nail polish remover on the leather armrest in an auto. Is there away to cover the discoloration?

Answers

Get the closest colour of a permanent marker and cover it over with it.

There are paints for fabric and leather. You may have to mix colors to get the right shade.

You can get a leather and vinyl furniture touch up pen in a matching colour at an auto parts store or on Amazon.com

I tried to remove blue ink from my black leather car seat using fingernail polish remover and it changed the spot to grayish blue. Is there a way to get the black color back into the leather seat of my BMW?

Answers

The nail polish remover removed the dye from the leather. You can try:
BMW dealers in your area,
leather repair shops in your area,
Black Marker?

If you get nail polish remover on a leather chair then wash it with a hand soap will it still remove the color? I recently was removing nail polish at my desk while sitting in my leather chair, as I was putting the nail polish on my cloth I dropped the nail polish remover bottle on my chair. In a panic I got hand soap from the bathroom and tried cleaning it up, but will it still remove the color from my chair?

By Ginger M.

Answers

I believe leather colored polish and calling a boot repair shop may help. Also a solid marker may help. However remember it should have a reaction when you put nail polish remover on leather. That remover is used to remove fake nails as it eats them up. You can remove any kind of fake nails with it. I know people use it to clean things but it also reacts with any plastics when left on.

My younger sister spilled some nail polish remover and got a few blotches on my leather satchel. Is there any way I can get rid of the blotches? I heard about re-dyeing the leather, but how do I do that? The bag is 100% genuine leather and I assume it is finished.

By Jake S.

Nail polish remover with acetone has been spilled on my medium brown leather couch and it completely removed the color finish. The spill is about 1 inch wide by 1 inch long. Can this be repaired, or do I put a throw blanket over it and just learn to live with it?

By Char Nelson from Madison, WI

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

I used paste shoe polish on my dark brown leather furniture and it covered a spot nicely. Also, they make leather dye for home use. Check with a good leather furniture store. (07/28/2009)

By Judi

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

To do it right, contact a shoe or saddle repair shop, as they will have actual leather dye and can help you put it back correctly. Or a Tandy Leather store, and it will probably be a two step finish to restore both the color and the shine. Good luck! (07/30/2009)

By Gina Johnston

I just recently spilled a bit of nail polish remover on my new light tan leather couch and the color has now gone from light tan to almost white, I was just wondering if there was any way that I could go about fixing this problem.

Trish

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

Get a colored magic marker (or perhaps paste shoe polish that will dry after being applied, after all it is good enough for leather shoes that are used daily and in the elements so it should work on your furniture too!). Anyway, get it to match the furnitures color and then "color away", only you would know where the accident is/was and if you do not tell no one else will know it either. (07/30/2007)

By Paula Jo Carr, Mebane, NC

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

I like the rest of the wives, was struck dumb with fear when I saw the mess I made with polish remover on my $3k leather sofa, but the shoe polish/black marker worked. (03/06/2008)

By dead meat

My daughter has got red nail polish on my black leather couch. I used nail polish remover in a panic and its taken the shine and some of the blackness from the leather. Any ideas on what to do?

Dai from Wales, UK

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

You can purchase this stuff at Wal-mart it is called Goo Gone! it works great but it may leave a small oil looking spot,if so remove the oil spot using Dawn dish detergent.

By natasha

Nail Polish Remover on Leather

Get some black shoe polish, the wax type that comes in a can and put several coats on, buffing between each application. If it has really bleached out a spot, first take a permanent black marker and color in the spot before using the shoe polish. I use this remedy on my leather boots & shoes all the time.

By Anna from Maine