Water Damage on Wood Furniture

I noticed that the towel I keep under my humidifier on my night stand was damp. Apparently, there's a slow leak and the wood has lost its shine and is cracked. It's a fairly new piece of furniture. How can I restore it?

Eileen from Newport, RI

Answers:

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

An old Yankee trick that has worked like a wonder for me on an varnished antique wagon trunk (that my granddaughter forgot to tell me she had used as her watercolor painting table) and a beautiful burled wood sofa table with a perfect water ring on it.

You will need to find find someone who smokes and a piece of soft cotton material. Slightly dampen the cloth and with your finger inside it pick up a small amount of the ashes on your fingertip. Using a gentle rubbing motion go back and forth with grain of wood over the damaged area. Add more ashes as needed until you have rubbed the whole area. They became white and even more damaged looking, but after it dried out both woods looked as they had prior to damage. Hope this helps.

PS. I am a former J-Towner who went to RHS in Newport. I miss "home". (06/10/2006)

By Oumagee

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

My steam iron leaked on my dresser. When I discovered the damage, I took butter and rubbed all over the damaged area and the water mark is now gone. (02/25/2009)

By Joan

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

Try Murphys Oil soap, you may have to work it in several times then rinse and dry, but its really good stuff. (01/12/2010)

By YORKIEPOO