Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture

A colorful wooden dresser.
Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it. This is a page about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this page, click to share your own tip!

When my new coffee table arrived, it had these permanent marker lines (they could have been there for months, who knew where or when it was manufactured). I was afraid to try alcohol, so before buying the Mr. Clean sponges, I tried a regular white rubber eraser. You can see the results, just a very, very teeny remnant of the lines remain (all the black is gone), but you can only see them if you're looking at the correct angle. I polished it all up with Liquid Gold and it's beautiful.

Before:

Marker lines on coffee table.

After:

Table after removing marker.

Thanks for the suggestion!

My son recently drew his Nan a lovely picture in permanent marker on her lovely new wooden dressing table. I went to the nearest Coles and bought a Chux Magic Eraser. It was all off in about five minute, good as new. Thanks Chux, they really are magic!

By jofish from Armadale, WA

21 Questions

I already tried furniture polish to remove on Sharpie marker on my finished wood table. Will that have put a "coating" over the marker, or will nail polish remover still work and if not, what will?

By Cheryl I.

Answers

Best Answer

Goof Off worked when my little sister colored sharpie on it. You could get it from Wal-Mart for less than $3.00.

Best Answer

I was able to get black magic marker off a inside wood log with Goof Off, you can buy it at Lowes.

Best Answer

Antibacterial soap works great and gets Sharpie off without removing the finish!

Best Answer

Don't use nail polish remover it will take finish off.

Answer this Question

How do I clean black Sharpie marker off wooden furniture?

By Sherry from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 86 Tips
Best Answer

I used hand sanitizer to get the Sharpie art work off of my coffee table. My grand drew me a pic. It worked like a charm. Good luck.

Best Answer

I just used regular toothpaste and a paper towel and removed green Sharpie from my 5 year olds white wooden dresser. Worked like a charm! Thank you for the tip!

Best Answer

I removed permanent marker off my hardwood floor with hair spray. Tried eraser, no luck, dulled it but it didn't remove it completely. Tried Awesome, again only dulled it and then finally I tried hairspray and wiped away with paper towel.

My mother found this in an old book of home remedies. It said to wipe away with water and vinegar. I think to take the stickiness away.

Best Answer

I used regular toothpaste to get a large amount of black permanent marker out of my kitchen table and chairs. It took some srubbing, but it worked like a charm! After, I used vinegar and water with a paper towel to get rid of the stickey-ness. It is as if nothing ever happened!

Best Answer

My gosh I have a polished wooden Japanese antique and my daughter's sharpie was on a baggie placed on the wood. Overnight the ink adhered itself to the wood. I thought it was gone forever, and almost fainted with grief (I really like Japan).

I quickly came online to see what would take off Sharpie pen from wood, and saw this. I tried white toothpaste, and lo and behold, it worked! It worked! Thank you thank you thank you!

Answer this Question

My son has got permanent Sharpie markers all over my new gloss, white table. What can I use to get it off?

Answers

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
Best Answer

Spot test if you draw over with dry erase and erase it off. It happened to me but not on a table.

There are other remedies that may be useful: lifehacker.com/.../remove-permanent-marker-from-any...

Answer this Question

I drew a heart on my hand with red permanent marker. Then when I sat down on my chair I (not knowingly) put my hand down on the white chair. I went to go to the bathroom and came back to see it on the chair, I'm so panicky. The chairs are new and my parents will kill me! Please help. And please answer ASAP! I tried Expo over it, but it only made things worse.

By Chrysanthemum J

Answers

Best Answer

Use finger nail poish remover! It works on Sharpie and gets it out or off of anything without leaving any stain or residue.

Answer this Question

Help! My daughter got black permanent ink on my kitchen table. It is medium oak color. Any ideas?

Answers

My 4yr old decorated our wooden stools with black Texta. I tried toothpaste - it didn't work, hand sanitiser - didn't work, hair spray - didn't work (this is great though for Biro on velour), then Gumption.

This is a paste you can buy in the cleaning section of the supermarket. It was great. Bit of rubbing required with a damp cloth and all gone.

My daughter got black permanent ink on my kitchen table. It is medium oak color. Any ideas?

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I know toothpaste gets ink out of fabric. Maybe try it with your table.

Good Luck! (06/06/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I've heard that rubbing alcohol gets permanent marker off. I'd test it on an inconspicuous spot of the table first. (06/06/2004)

By Rennie

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Two products which should be available in stores like Wal-Mart are OOPS and GOO Gone. (06/07/2004)

By Linda

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Thanks for the tip. I used toothpaste to remove black marker off my dining room table and it really works! (06/22/2004)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Alcohol did the trick. Two months ago I refinished our dining room table with Minwax Polyurethane. My daughter got Sharpie permanent marker on it right in the middle of the table.

Formula 409 did nothing, toothpaste did nothing, but rubbing alcohol took it off with minimal effort and did not damage the finish. (09/15/2004)

By Paul Barry

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Toothpaste just got Sharpie off my kitchen table. Wow! (12/30/2004)

By Jaye

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I just tried the toothpaste and the rubbing alcohol after my daughter got black permanent marker all over an expensive desk and my computer screen. The toothpaste works, but takes some effort and did damage the surface. The rubbing alcohol worked amazingly better. It took no effort and didn't scratch the surface. (01/09/2005)

By Angela

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Just used toothpaste to remove permanent marker from my Teak dining room table and it worked a treat. (02/06/2005)

By Andy

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I used Windex to get it off my monitor screen. I had to rub real hard but it came off. (08/11/2005)

By Rob

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

If you have permanent marker (like a Sharpie) marks all over something, you can easily remove it if it is a smooth surface, like appliances, glass, tables, etc, by using a dry erase marker. Take your dry erase marker and write over it, let it sit a minute, then use a dry erase marker, or better yet, a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and erase it. The chemicals in the dry erase marker breaks down that in the sharpie, so it can easily be erased. I work for a Public School, and we are all the time having this same issue happen. Hope this helps! (08/20/2005)

By Jenny

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Didn't know how to execute the toothpaste advise, but the alcohol worked great with a bit of elbow grease. Thanks! (10/27/2005)

By Big muffin

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

My 2 yr. old son just "drawed" on our brand new wooden table with a blue Sharpie permanent marker. I tried 409, Dish soap, and baby wipes. Then I found this site. I didn't have baking soda (just moved into our new house) or rubbing alcohol. I tried the toothpaste. It took 6 or 7 times. I put on Aquafresh Whitening Expressions toothpaste and rubbed it in with a soft toothbrush. I let that sit for about 5 minutes each time and then scrubbed with a rough sponge. After about 6 or 7 rounds of this, our table is clean again. There is just the faintest blue left in the deep cracks, but you can only tell if you're looking! Thanks everybody! (06/12/2006)

By Leah

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Several years ago, when my daughter was one, she got hold of a permanent marker and wrote all over, in big huge swirls, my brand new sofa. I cried hysterically for twenty minutes, then got on the internet. I used rubbing alcohol and that sofa looked brand new in minutes. Same sofa lasted six years and only recently got the boot, only due to too much dog usage.

Today the same daughter used a permanent marker to write on paper and it went through, ruining our wood table. I tried the rubbing alcohol but it didn't seem to do much good. After reading this about "elbow grease", I tried again. Brand new. I also used the alcohol to get some other stains off the table. It worked on two others. Thanks, all. (07/16/2006)

By Annie

Removing Permanent Ink from a computer screen

Thank God for rubbing alcohol. It came right off. (02/18/2007)

By Mary

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

The tip about toothpaste is excellent. Don't worry about needing alcohol. The toothpaste alone took care of our son's handy artwork on our dinning room table. (03/03/2008)

By Turk

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

We couldn't get it to work with just the toothpaste, but the rubbing alcohol and a little elbow grease took the permanent marker right out of my son's headboard. (06/29/2008)

By Cate

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I was cooking my dinner one night after I got home from work and noticed that there was permanent marker ink on my mom's 100 year old dining room table. I immediately got online and found the website which said use toothpaste and rubbing alcohol. It worked GREAT! The marks are out of the table. Thank Goodness! Thank you so much for this great tip! (07/10/2008)

By Hayley

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

You're great, toothpaste really works! You saved my table, thanks! (12/13/2008)

By chris

How do you clean permanent marker off of wood coffee and end tables without ruining the finish?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureNovember 1, 2011
💘
🍀
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Permanent-Marker-from-Wood-Furniture-1.html