Removing Permanent Marker

Category Stains
Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel). Rub it in, then use a damp rag to wipe the toothpaste and magic marker away.

By castleberrycc from Saint Louis, MO

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

By Fun-n'-dorky

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

Read More... Was this helpful? 3

• furniture - milk

• clothes - hand sanitizer

• walls - toothpaste or hairspray

• wood - rubbing alcohol

• carpet - white vinegar
Hope this tip helps.

Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

Accidents happen, such as when you grab a permanent marker instead or a dry erase one to write on your whiteboard. This is a guide about removing permanent marker on a whiteboard.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing Sharpie on kitchen counters. Sharpie permanent marker can accidentally get on your countertops.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker from wood floors. Permanent marker is meant to be just that, permanent. However, there are often ways to remove it from surfaces where it has accidentally been applied.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

The only solution for removing permanent marker on leather furniture is spray on sun tan lotion. Nothing else worked, not 99% alcohol, Goo Gone, leather package - all set the marker stain.

Just get an eraser, get it wet and erase the mark. It worked really good for me. Hope it works for you!

I was able to get permanent black marker off of wood logs with Goof Off.

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

Answers

Linda-
Just a random thought but have you tried that Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean? I havent tried it myself but have heard that it's pretty good at getting things like that out....

Have you tried Nail Polish remover, As for the sticker if it's a paper sticker I would try to soak that part in soapy warm water. Leave it there for a while and it should start to peel off.
Good Luck!

Best thing for removing sticky stuff from stickers/labels is bath oil. I use Keri bath oil, but I'm sure others would work. I actually got this tip from the internet and it was the best advice.

Try OOPS or GooGone for the marker. Sometimes a blow dryer workers to loosen the glue on a sticker and after blowing hot air on it for a minute or so, it will peel right off. The oil suggestion works best if most of the paper is gone.

when my son was small he got perma marker all over his face :) cute.. we used avon skin*so*soft & it came off !
maybe it would also work on your walker

Hi Linda,
For the permanent marker, I recommend using very fine steel wool. You can get it at the hardware store. Get some 000. I think that would remove it, it will take some rubbing but will shine up the surface of the metal.
Susan from ThriftyFun

Hairspray--the cheaper the better--like Aquanet. Ive used it on walls, plastics, desks and whiteboards. a little bit of rubbing alcohol will get rid of the tackiness if you like.

Take the easy way out - just get some cute stickers and cover the label and marking up.

Try Rubbing Alcohol

Looking for the solution for the marker myself, since my 4-yr old marked all over my walls, kitchen cabinets, and solid surface counter tops with a red sharpie :)

Lighter fluid is by far the best thing you can use to remove stickers from any surface.

Mr. Clean Magic eraser WILL remove permanent marker. I've tried it and it works! What a great invention!

i have tried mr clean majic eraser it is not working

WD 40 will remove stickers everytime. It might remove the marker but could not say that for sure since I've never used it for that. Comet might work for the marker.

There is a product called ink away made by goo gone.
The bottle I have is 2 fl.oz. so its a small bottle. My kids got ahold of a permenent marker in my van and it took it off! I was amazed! and so relieved!
I got it at menards or lowes.

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

Answers

I learned this from work. Take your good non permanent white board markers and write or scribble over the permanent marker. It takes it right off.

The white board spray cleaner that most places with white boards should have will also take it off. And then get the jiffy markers AWAY from the white board. If they are left anywhere close by, it is a mistake waiting to happen.

To get permanent marker off any hard surface; go to a craft store and buy a 1/2 ounce glass jar of Testors Enamel Thinner. Dip a qtip into it or dab some on a cotton ball.. then wip off with a paper towel! It works great!
On a white board however, the tip from gondodeb is true! Just go over the marker with a dry-erase marker and it will rub right off :)

Is there anything that will remove stubern markers stains from wooden doors?

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

Answers

Try white chalk while it's wet and dry in the sun. Or if it's canvas wash and apply corn flour and wrap with paper towel, and leave in the sun to dry. When dry, brush with a soft brush to remove corn flour.

Try a very gentle wipe with nail polish remover, don't rub too hard but I know I did that in the 80's with my scuffed pumps!

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

Answers

To cover the black marker, you could either applique a flower shape out of the same fabric as the skirt will be out of else embroider a flower in a matching color.

Try spraying with hairspray and blotting off if its ink marks. worked on stuff when pen got in the washing machine.

I have used tea tree oil to remove both permanent marker and non-waterbased paint from hard surfaces, skin and fabrics. A little goes a long way, use a rag or a cotton ball to saturate the stain and absorb the ink. Once the stain is gone, use Formula 409 or other grease removal cleaner to treat the oily areas, then wash with regular laundry.

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

I want to remove marker pen from my painted front door. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from Bristol, England

How do you remove a name written with black permanent marker from a vintage piece of Tupperware? We have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, finger nail polish, baking soda paste, hair spray, alcohol, Barkeeper's Friend, Comet, and the name still remains. Although dull, it is still distinctly there. Any other suggestions?

By Frances

Please could you help with some advice. I have a fully signed England shirt (in black permanent marker), which is great. Unfortunately at the top it's signed "to all at XXX", XXX being my work place. But I've been given it as a gift from management. Is there a way of removing the "to all at, etc." without removing any of the rest (signatures)? Thanks, much appreciated.

By JamesF

Answers

James, it is called permanent marker for a reason. It will probably never come out though after repeated washings. It will fade.

I need to get permanent marker out of multi-colored comforter. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

By atjojo from OH

Answers

I remove permanent marker and ball point pen ink from leather and other things with hair spray. Spray, let set a second and blot repeatedly until it all is gone. I blot with a white paper towel, so far it works when other things I used to try failed.

This may sound a little nutty. First buy a small bottle shampoo for Oily Hair. I've found that of all brands, Head and Shoulders still makes a shampoo for oily hair, yes a dandruff shampoo. The base ingredient in almost all permanent markers is oil.

Regular Plain Old Vegetable oil will remove permanent marker from any surface, including=lamp shades, antique embroidered chairs, sweat shirts, t-shirts, curtains, pretty much any fabric in my home has had permanent marker on it, when my daughter was between 3 years and 7 years. She was always sorry and it truly wasn't on purpose-well except maybe the lamp shade-she was trying to make it prettier, but all it did was make my hair stand on end, as that shade was in perfect shape, it is silk, and was my grandmother's. Arghh.

I prefer the least yellow oil that I can find. Using just a paper towel, or soft cloth (swiffer cloths work well) Then I set in to scrubbing the area with the smallest amount of oil at a time until all the marker is gone. If it's on clothing, you can just wash the clothing in your washer normally after hand scrubbing the area with the shampoo for oily hair.

With furniture, a very thin mixture of Dawn dish washing liquid & water, mixed with a bit of rubbing alcohol will pull the oily mixture right out of that piece of furniture. Trust me, I must have done this over a thousand times since having my baby-now 21 yrs, and just on Monday, she got a sharpie marker in her khaki work pants, her favorite pair.

Good luck!

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

My 2 year old got a hold of a permanent marker this morning and wrote all over my boyfriend's Xbox 360 controllers. Any ideas how to get the marker off?

By Nataley S.

I just bought a brand new very pale pink blouse from Lands End and my first time wearing it at work today I accidentally got black permanent marker on it. I read some suggestions here and tried hair spray first which didn't work. Then I tried rubbing alcohol and that didn't work. I just threw it in the wash after putting a ton of detergent on it. I doubt that will work. Any other suggestions?

By Jeanie H

I drew with Sharpie on my shoes, but decided I didn't like it. I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

How do I remove marker from a dryer drum?

By Janie De L.

How do I remove permanent pen from leather car interior?

By Margaret

How do I remove Sharpie permanent marker from a door with yellow paint?

By EE from Malaysia

I have purchased several pieces of pottery from various thrift shops over the years and they insist on marking them on the bottoms where they are unglazed with permanent markers. Some of the markings are on a ceramic type of pottery as well as clay. Any suggestions on getting it off? Thanks.

By Jay

I need ideas for removing gold texta (marker) from either a vinyl or leather phone cover.

By JS

My friends left a permanent marker in my dryer and I didn't notice until the dryer stopped. How can I get the permanent marker out of my dryer?

By SDA from Bluefield, WV

I played a practical joke on my girlfriend by drawing a face on her gym ball to discover to my horror that it was in fact her sister's. To make matters worse, the pen that I thought was just a dry board pen was in fact a marker and isn't coming off. I've tried sunscreen, toothpaste, nail polish remover, and my aftershave, and nothing is removing it.

Please help!

By Andy

How would you get out black stains from a black Magic Marker out of nylon?

By J Miller

I need to know how to remove markers off flat painted walls.

By Nasha

I need advise quick! My 4 year old wrote his name with a Sharpie marker. How do I take black permanent marker off my new laminate wood floor? And off a painted wall?

By Bettyjean1 from Cache Valley, UT

Answers:

Removing Permanent Marker

Check for colorfastness in an inconspicuous spot, but rubbing alcohol has always worked well for us. If you don't have any try hand sanitizer, the alcohol based varieties also work. (11/09/2010)

By zoodad

Removing Permanent Marker

I use Aeroguard (the personal fly and insect spray). Not sure if it is sold outside Australia though. It works very well. (11/09/2010)

By krinkle03

Removing Permanent Marker

I just read this in a book yesterday. You can paint over permanent marker on your wall, but the marker will eventually come through. You can get something at a hardware store called Kilz to prime it so the marker can't come through. I don't know how to get it off of a tile floor though, sorry. (11/12/2010)

By tanyamichalski

Removing Permanent Marker

I have used peppermint oil to remove permanent marker from several things! I have not tried it on any fabric, but on the hard surfaces it works great, and it's good for you! Find it in a natural health store with the essential oils. Wonderful stuff! (12/16/2010)

By NanSys

Load More