Removing Permanent Marker

Category Stains
Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a page about removing permanent marker stains.

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off.

I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel). Rub it in, then use a damp rag to wipe the toothpaste and magic marker away.

By carolcoen from Saint Louis, MO

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

By booke

To clean permanent marker (Sharpie) from any non porous surface (table, floor, sink..etc), you can buy a tiny little bottle (1/2 inch square glass jar) of Testors Thinner #1148 from any hobby shop. Not the bigger bottle, it's different! Dip a Q-tip into the bottle and rub it on the marker, then wipe off excess with a tissue!

A bottle of

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

The only solution for removing permanent marker on leather furniture is spray on sun tan lotion. Nothing else worked, not 99% alcohol, Goo Gone, leather package - all set the marker stain.

Just get an eraser, get it wet and erase the mark. It worked really good for me. Hope it works for you!

I was able to get permanent black marker off of wood logs with Goof Off.

I got Sharpie on my school Dell laptop and I tried Expo, it made it worse. Then I tried dish soap which also did not work.

I even tried vinegar and nail polish remover. I have school tomorrow What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Try 1 part rubbing alcohol to 2 parts water.

Best Answer

CLR Cleaner!

Best Answer

I work on computers and have found out that alcohol and water works the best to do this. It seems to be the only solution that will break down the ink that is on the laptop.

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

Answers

Linda-
Just a random thought but have you tried that Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean? I havent tried it myself but have heard that it's pretty good at getting things like that out....

Have you tried Nail Polish remover, As for the sticker if it's a paper sticker I would try to soak that part in soapy warm water. Leave it there for a while and it should start to peel off.
Good Luck!

By Alice (Guest Post)

Best thing for removing sticky stuff from stickers/labels is bath oil. I use Keri bath oil, but I'm sure others would work. I actually got this tip from the internet and it was the best advice.

By (Guest Post)

Try OOPS or GooGone for the marker. Sometimes a blow dryer workers to loosen the glue on a sticker and after blowing hot air on it for a minute or so, it will peel right off.

The oil suggestion works best if most of the paper is gone.

when my son was small he got perma marker all over his face :) cute.. we used avon skin*so*soft & it came off !
maybe it would also work on your walker

Hi Linda,
For the permanent marker, I recommend using very fine steel wool. You can get it at the hardware store. Get some 000. I think that would remove it, it will take some rubbing but will shine up the surface of the metal.
Susan from ThriftyFun

By Rebekah (Guest Post)

Hairspray--the cheaper the better--like Aquanet. Ive used it on walls, plastics, desks and whiteboards. a little bit of rubbing alcohol will get rid of the tackiness if you like.

By (Guest Post)

Take the easy way out - just get some cute stickers and cover the label and marking up.

By Kellee (Guest Post)

Try Rubbing Alcohol

By kp (Guest Post)

Looking for the solution for the marker myself, since my 4-yr old marked all over my walls, kitchen cabinets, and solid surface counter tops with a red sharpie :)

Lighter fluid is by far the best thing you can use to remove stickers from any surface.

By Mary (Guest Post)

Mr. Clean Magic eraser WILL remove permanent marker. I've tried it and it works! What a great invention!

By jessica (Guest Post)

i have tried mr clean majic eraser it is not working

By Brea. (Guest Post)

WD 40 will remove stickers everytime. It might remove the marker but could not say that for sure since I've never used it for that. Comet might work for the marker.

There is a product called ink away made by goo gone.
The bottle I have is 2 fl.oz. so its a small bottle. My kids got ahold of a permenent marker in my van and it took it off! I was amazed! and so relieved!
I got it at menards or lowes.

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

Is there anything that will remove stubern markers stains from wooden doors?

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

How do I remove marker from a dryer drum?

By Janie De L.

I want to remove marker pen from my painted front door. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from Bristol, England

How do you remove a name written with black permanent marker from a vintage piece of Tupperware? We have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, finger nail polish, baking soda paste, hair spray, alcohol, Barkeeper's Friend, Comet, and the name still remains. Although dull, it is still distinctly there. Any other suggestions?

By Frances

Please could you help with some advice. I have a fully signed England shirt (in black permanent marker), which is great. Unfortunately at the top it's signed "to all at XXX", XXX being my work place. But I've been given it as a gift from management. Is there a way of removing the "to all at, etc." without removing any of the rest (signatures)? Thanks, much appreciated.

By jamesf

I need to get permanent marker out of multi-colored comforter. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

By atjojo from OH

Answers

I remove permanent marker and ball point pen ink from leather and other things with hair spray. Spray, let set a second and blot repeatedly until it all is gone. I blot with a white paper towel, so far it works when other things I used to try failed.

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

I drew with Sharpie on my shoes, but decided I didn't like it. I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

My 2 year old got a hold of a permanent marker this morning and wrote all over my boyfriend's Xbox 360 controllers. Any ideas how to get the marker off?

By Nataley S.

I just bought a brand new very pale pink blouse from Lands End and my first time wearing it at work today I accidentally got black permanent marker on it. I read some suggestions here and tried hair spray first which didn't work. Then I tried rubbing alcohol and that didn't work. I just threw it in the wash after putting a ton of detergent on it. I doubt that will work. Any other suggestions?

By Jeanie H

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 19, 2011
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 17:50:28 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️