Removing Permanent Marker

Category Stains
Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off.

I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel). Rub it in, then use a damp rag to wipe the toothpaste and magic marker away.

By carolcoen from Saint Louis, MO

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

By booke

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin.

This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it.

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

Depending on the finish on your cabinets you can try any one or more of the several cleaning solutions mentioned in this guide. This page contains information about removing Sharpie from white cabinets.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you accidentally get marker stains on the inside of your dryer, it is imperative to remove them entirely or they may stain your clothing. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from inside a dryer.

There are many recomenations for different products to use for remedying this mishap. Read on to decide which one sounds best to you. It is a good idea to make sure the product used will not damage the finish; do your research.

This is a guide about removing permanent marker on wood cabin

Accidents happen, such as when you grab a permanent marker instead or a dry erase one to write on your whiteboard. This is a guide about removing permanent marker on a whiteboard.

This is a guide about removing Sharpie on kitchen counters. Sharpie permanent marker can accidentally get on your countertops.

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker from wood floors. Permanent marker is meant to be just that, permanent. However, there are often ways to remove it from surfaces where it has accidentally been applied.

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

The only solution for removing permanent marker on leather furniture is spray on sun tan lotion. Nothing else worked, not 99% alcohol, Goo Gone, leather package - all set the marker stain.

Just get an eraser, get it wet and erase the mark. It worked really good for me. Hope it works for you!

I was able to get permanent black marker off of wood logs with Goof Off.

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

Answers

Linda-
Just a random thought but have you tried that Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean? I havent tried it myself but have heard that it's pretty good at getting things like that out....

Have you tried Nail Polish remover, As for the sticker if it's a paper sticker I would try to soak that part in soapy warm water. Leave it there for a while and it should start to peel off.
Good Luck!

By Alice (Guest Post)

Best thing for removing sticky stuff from stickers/labels is bath oil. I use Keri bath oil, but I'm sure others would work. I actually got this tip from the internet and it was the best advice.

By (Guest Post)

Try OOPS or GooGone for the marker. Sometimes a blow dryer workers to loosen the glue on a sticker and after blowing hot air on it for a minute or so, it will peel right off. The oil suggestion works best if most of the paper is gone.

when my son was small he got perma marker all over his face :) cute.. we used avon skin*so*soft & it came off !
maybe it would also work on your walker

Hi Linda,
For the permanent marker, I recommend using very fine steel wool. You can get it at the hardware store. Get some 000. I think that would remove it, it will take some rubbing but will shine up the surface of the metal.
Susan from ThriftyFun

By Rebekah (Guest Post)

Hairspray--the cheaper the better--like Aquanet. Ive used it on walls, plastics, desks and whiteboards. a little bit of rubbing alcohol will get rid of the tackiness if you like.

By (Guest Post)

Take the easy way out - just get some cute stickers and cover the label and marking up.

By Kellee (Guest Post)

Try Rubbing Alcohol

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

Is there anything that will remove stubern markers stains from wooden doors?

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

How do I remove marker from a dryer drum?

By Janie De L.

Load More