Knitted Purse Patterns
A fun and useful knitting project is a purse. This guide is about knitted purse patterns
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is an easy project as it is a straight piece. There is no shaping involved. I created this pattern so there are no photos from a magazine, sorry. The knitted piece is flat when you get done. It just takes shape when you put it on the bamboo handles.
Approximate Time: A couple of days, depending on how fast you knit.
- tapestry needle
- 8 inch knitting needles
- round bamboo purse handles
- lining the size of your purse (can either be matching or contrasting)
- 1 skein fun fur
- 1 skein Homespun yarn
- sewing machine and thread to sew lining together (opt), can be done by hand
- Use #8 needles or larger if you want a looser knit.
- Cast on 78 stitches with Homespun.
The number of stitches can also be varied depending on the side of the purse you want. If you want it a little smaller, cast on less stitches.
- Knit for 6 inches.
At this point, join in with the fun fur treating the Homespun and the fun fur as one yarn.
- Knit for two inches with the fun fur and Homespun together.
- Tie off the fun fur and then just using the Homespun, knit for 10 inches.
- Again, join in the fun fur and knit another two inches.
- Tie off fun fur and knit for 6 more inches.
- Bind off.
- Lay piece flat and measure it and cut lining the same size.
- Sew up sides of yarn purse to within 5 or 6 inches of top.
This is done so that you can open up the purse after you sew it on the bamboo handles.
- Now starting at the top edge, sew with matching yarn, the top over the bamboo handle.
- Repeat with other side.
Make sure you secure the yarn good at this point so that it holds up when you open the purse.
- At this point you can add a pocket to your lining if you wish and a piece of Velcro to make the purse more secure.
- Sew up side seams of the lining and then turn top down, the top of the lining, so it covers where you sewed the purse to the bamboo handles. You will have to sew the lining at the top by hand.
By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I would like free knitting patterns for a purse.
Bridgette from New York City
March 21, 20090 found this helpful
Bridgette, there are lots of free patterns on the net. You could try Berroco, Lion patterns and there are lots more. Good luck.