Lengthening Children's Clothing

Category Alterations
childrens pants
Children often outgrow their clothing in the length long before they outgrow the waist. This is a guide about lengthening children's clothing.

Parents of small girls, don't throw away those jeans because they're a little short yet still fit everywhere else! I used spare fabric to make this top (just used one of her dresses for a pattern), and then sewed a cuff around the bottom of the pants to match.

The pants were getting short but still fit her in the waist. For the cuffs I cut a piece of elastic the size of the pant leg and then cut material double that so it would gather.

I sewed a casing for the elastic and hemmed the bottom. Then I basted it to the pant leg so that when she does outgrow this I can take it off and still sell or give away the pants. This is definitely a way to make those clothes last longer!

Source: Friend

By Tonya from Louisville, TN

Very good idea. Thanks for sharing.

How crafty. Love the model too!

What a cutie she is!And the outfit too! I did this years ago for my older daughter.I'm trying to figure out a way to lengthen my son's pants in a cool way so he won't be made fun of. He just turned 15 & is 6ft 1 1/2", he keeps getting taller but stays the same waist size for the last 3 years & I can't keep him in pants as fast as he grows!

That's adorable! Way to go! Maybe by summer if you need to alter them again. if the knees get worn out. Cut out the worn section & move the bottoms up to make shorts (?) So cute!