Lengthening a Dress

Category Alterations
Sometimes an outfit needs alterations to suit your own personal preferences. This is a guide about lengthening a dress.

So I found a really cute dress at a super great price the other day. The only problem is it is way too short! I mean way above the knee. Not my cup of tea, but I couldn't find another one. This was too cute to pass up, so I decided I would get it anyway and fix it myself. It was very quick, very easy, and now I get to wear my dress.

*No super sewing skills required.

Total Time: 1/2 hour or less

• short dress :)
  • polyester stretchy lace fabric
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • straight pins

1. Start with a short dress.
  2. The amount of stretchy lace you will need depends entirely on the circumference of the bottom of your dress, also how much length you want to add. Turn the bottom edge of your dress inside out and pin the lace on.
  3. Now you will simply start sewing very close to the bottom edge of your dress hem with a coordinating thread.
  4. When you get back to the spot where you started, you may have too much lace. Now is a good time to trim it so that you have just enough to meet up.
  5. Now you can trim the lace to be the length you want. No need to hem the bottom edge, it will not fray at all. Easy peasy!
  6. Finishing touches now. You have attached the top edge of your lace to the bottom edge of your skirt hem as seen in step 4. You have also now trimmed the bottom edge of your lace to the length desired as seen in step 5.
    You will now join the "sides" of the lace in a vertical seam. You could choose to leave this open to be a long "slit" in your skirt, but I chose to sew it closed.
  7. And that's it!:)