Altering Pants Into Capris

Category Alterations
Give an older or unused pair of long pants a new lease on fashion life by cutting them down into capris. This is a page about altering pants into capris.

I had a pair of casual pants with legs that were too wide and out of style. The pants were almost brand new because I would keep thinking I would wear them, but never did. I decided that they would be perfect for cutting down for capris. You can do this project alone, but it does help to have someone assist with the measuring.

Total Time: 1.5 hours

• tape measure
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • matching thread
  • pins
  • sewing machine

1. First, I measured a couple of pairs of capris that I have to get a general idea of how long they were in the inseam.
  2. Next, I measured the remaining length. I needed to cut off 12 inches to get the length I wanted after hemming.
  3. Advertisement

4. Using a ruler I made marks on the wrong side of the legs at 12 inches.
  5. I connected the marks to create a cutting line.
  6. I cut up the side seam and then cut off the pant legs.
  7. I tried the pants back on and we turned them up and pinned for the finished length.
  8. Advertisement

9. I needed to turn up 2.5 inches to get the desired length. I first turned up 1.25 inches and pinned it. Then I turned up the second 1.25 inches removing pins and repinning as I went.
  10. Finally, I sewed two parallel stitched lines to finish the hem edge. You can finish any way you like.
  11. Here they are, ready to wear.

Videos

You can easily transform a pair of pants that have frayed bottoms into a new pair of capris! Follow the directions in this video to lean how.

Crafts Clothing AlterationsJune 11, 2016
🌻
😷
😎
👔
🎆
🐛

Generated 2020-05-29 11:27:35 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️