Removing a Hemline From Jeans

Category Alterations
Oftentimes, jeans need to be altered to fit correctly but this could leave a discolored or creased hem line. This is a guide about removing a hem line from jeans.

I have a pair of nice dress jeans that I had to hem. I would now like to take out the hem because they shrunk a bit. There is definite 'faded' line at the edge. What's a trick to get rid of the line so the fade line doesn't show?

By Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers

Best Answer

You can't really get rid of a fade line. But you can camouflage it by taking a fine permanent marker in a matching color, then lightly draw little lines up & down on the line. Unless the jeans are dark black, then use the marker to color in the faded area. If it's to dark, rubbing alcohol can sometimes remove (or smear) permanent marker ink. If the jeans are light colored, you can use a colored pencil, but you'll most likely have to do it again after washing. I use a black sharpie on my black pants when I've splattered bleach on them. I've also use a blue colored ball-point pen on bleach spots on blue jeans.

* If it were me, I'd buy a matching color of lace (blue or black) from a fabric store then sew the lace over the faded line! This will look awesome!

Best Answer

Press with steam cloth wet with vinegar,it works on dresses, good luck.

Best Answer

Back in the day we used to hide those by putting embroidery or whatever all around. I can just see it with crystals.

Best Answer

if you can find the same fabric in a fabric store as your jeans are, or atleast close in color, try adding a little length to the jeans to make a wide hem and make a fold up cuff, just enough to cover the hem line.

I am lengthening my jeans and there is white line all around the blue jeans. Do I have dye these to remove the line?

Answers

Best Answer

Sharpies are now made in quite a few colors so you may be able to find a match - or close.

• If you use a darker color you can lighten it some with a cloth dipped in vinegar - just smear it on the line and into surrounding area.
  • You do not say if this is for a male or female but if for a female then you could try adding a strip of lace or other material.
  • If you visit one of the big craft stores in your area, I feel sure they would have lots of suggestions.
  • You mentioned dying... This is not an easy task and there is no guarantee that your line will not still be lighter than the rest of the jeans.
Best Answer

I would be really bold and glue with" Washable Fabric Glue " a 1/2 inch wide piece of ribbon all around the white line, if you like try and match the color of the jeans OR being really daring use a pretty light color ribbon.

I'm quite tall and always have to let the hems down in any pants I buy for added length. Recently, I purchased a pair of cotton twill cream colored pants and after letting the hem down, I can't get the crease out. I've tried all my past tricks i.e. ironing, steaming and white vinegar... nothing is working. Please help.

Eva from Roscoe, IL

Answers

By Pat (Guest Post)

Put lace or some kind of trim along the seem.

By (Guest Post)

Thirty years ago when I was in college and money was tight I use to put really sharp creases in my jeans. While they were still wet out of the washer I'd lay them out with a crease and then use a kitchen knife to gently run up and down the crease and they came out really pronounced. Maybe it would work for you in reverse, to take out creases. Wet the hem, lay it flat and gently run a knife over the seam to try to work it out.

By Judy from Pa (Guest Post)

I have used a pressing cloth with vinegar. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. The vinegar smell will go away. I would give it a try.