Removing "Permanent" Creases from Clothing

Category Laundry
Often the creases in our clothing resulting from sitting and other activities seem to be permanent, and impossible to remove. This is a page about removing "permanent" creases from clothing.

Sometimes when you lengthen a garment the crease line from the previous hem remains. The way to get rid of that is to moisten the crease with vinegar, and iron on the hottest setting allowable for the fabric. I always use a press cloth to protect the fabric.

I've been doing this for years very successfully. This is a great solution when styles change or you want to let your growing child wear clothing a while longer.

I have a sweater that always has an unintentional permanent crease in the ribbing at the bottom. It is always hung dry, but I need to rewet the crease thoroughly and hand stretch it out before I hang it to dry.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

You might want to try to get some iron on seam tape to iron this on the back side of the sweater to keep the sweater laying flat and not creasing when it is hung up to dry. I had an issue like this one before and ended up having to lay the sweater flat on a towel and allow it to dry like this in order to keep the seams flat and not crease. You can also try this one.

Best Answer

Not that it helps your problem but the manufacturer probably had a flaw in their machine that pulled some threads too tight and no one ever corrected it so there are most likely lots of sweaters with the same problem.

I've had this happen with other types of clothing and if I hung them to dry I always had to lay them flat, dampen the area (I sometimes used Wrinkle Release or water/white vinegar mix) and smooth out the wrinkle or even lay something heavy on top to force the wrinkle out.
This is a pain but since it is 'made' into the fabric, it will return after each washing.

Most of the time I lay a towel on top of the dryer/washing machine, lay my piece on top to dry and smooth out that area as it's drying or lay something heavy on top (even my unplugged iron is usually heavy enough if the piece is still damp).
Occasionally, I still have to place a cloth over the area and press with warm iron for a few minutes.

From sitting so much I seem to have permanent creases in my slacks. I need a way to get rid of the creases. They are where the body meets the legs.

Helen from Ontario Canada

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've read that you can spray the creases with white vinegar and the creases will iron out.

Spray clothes with a mixture of vinegar and water prior to ironing to help remove creases. This is a page about removing creases with vinegar spray.

A spray bottle with a fine mist on a black background.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Did you know that there is a very quick and simple way to achieve permanent creases in your ironing. Simply mix 1/3rd of a cup of vinegar to 2/3rds of a cup of water. Using a spray bottle dampen the fabric in the area that you require the permanent crease. Cover with some brown paper or similar and iron.

By Gary S

Answers:

Ironing Permanent Creases

Wow, Gary, thank you! I will try this on lots of things - especially my oxford shirts - for the sleeves. I assume this work on all cotton?

Jennifer (11/23/2004)

By Jennifer Nelson

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJuly 10, 2013
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Permanent-Creases-from-Clothing-1.html