Turning Pants Into Capris

I had a pair of casual pants with legs that were too wide and out of style. The pants were almost brand new because I would keep thinking I would wear them, but never did. I decided that they would be perfect for cutting down for capris. You can do this project alone, but it does help to have someone assist with the measuring.

Total Time: 1.5 hours

1. First, I measured a couple of pairs of capris that I have to get a general idea of how long they were in the inseam.
  2. Next, I measured the remaining length. I needed to cut off 12 inches to get the length I wanted after hemming.
  3. Using a ruler I made marks on the wrong side of the legs at 12 inches.
  4. I connected the marks to create a cutting line.
  5. I cut up the side seam and then cut off the pant legs.
  6. I tried the pants back on and we turned them up and pinned for the finished length.
  7. I needed to turn up 2.5 inches to get the desired length. I first turned up 1.25 inches and pinned it. Then I turned up the second 1.25 inches removing pins and repinning as I went.
  8. Finally, I sewed two parallel stitched lines to finish the hem edge. You can finish any way you like.
  9. Here they are, ready to wear.

Freaking adorable! You did a fantastic job on those and they look really nice! I will need to do this with some of my pants as well... I didn't think about measuring the inseam on another pair of pants to determine the appropriate length, good idea! Thanks for sharing with us :)