SewingCrafts

Lining a Handmade Purse

Lining a purse can be a very intimidating thought. At least it was to me. Then one night a few years ago I sat down and tried doing it as simply as I could. To my shock and delight, it worked! I have lined every purse since. It's quite easy, quick, and really adds a nice finishing touch to your handmade creations. This quick tutorial will show you how to line any sized purse. Have fun!

Total Time: About 1 hour

1. You will take your purse and lay it on top of your folded fabric. You want 2 thicknesses so you only have to cut once! :) Pinking shears work great for this, I simply cut an outline about 1" wider than my purse. As you can see, I like to center the bottom on a fold. One less cut, one less seam. We're going for easy here! :)
  2. Ad
  3. Making sure that the "right" sides of your fabric are facing and on the inside, pin and sew the right and left edges. You may want to trim the excess fabric.
  4. Now you will turn down the top perimeter and sew that.
  5. Ad
  6. At this point, it's good to slip your lining in your purse and see how it fits. If it is too tall, simply sew the bottom up a little higher and then cut the excess. You can do the same with the sides if needed. Very quick!
  7. Now put it back in your purse. Line the sides of the lining up with the sides of your purse. Start whip stitching your lining in. Don't go through the entire yarn portion of the purse when doing this, you don't want your thread showing on the outside. Just grab a bit.
  8. Ad
  9. All done! You're ready to use your new purse!

Wow! That turned out beautiful. Great job!