Making Cooking Oils for Gifts

I am looking for specific ways to make cooking-type oils for gifts at Christmas. I know that you are supposed to steep herbs in the oil and then put into a container. But, what herbs are good? How much of each? What combo of herbs? Can you use dried? Can you leave the dried herbs in there? What about garlic and lemon? How do you use those in making the oils? I know the basics, but I'm not sure about some of those more specific details, and I don't want to mess up someone's gift.

Thanks! Topo Gigio from Baton Rouge

Answers:

Making Cooking Oils for Gifts

Be careful with this one. I believe there have been some problems with botulism growing in the anaerobic environment of the oil and various herbs. (11/17/2005)

By Katie A.

Making Cooking Oils for Gifts

Topo,

You might want to consider some of the flavored Grapeseed Oils from Watkins. They are some of the most favorite products and come in four "flavors", including original (plain), Black Pepper, Citrus & Cilantro, and Garlic & Parsley. Grapeseed Oil is very healthy as is it lower in saturated fat and higher in unsaturated fats than nearly all other oils. It has a high smoke point, making it perfect for grilling or sauteing. I use the Garlic & Parsley with chicken or drizzled over a roast before roasting; it's very good. It comes in very attractive glass bottles as well. I think a gift of a bottle of one of the oils, along with some of the Watkins bread mix for dipping would be a great gift. I'll send you a catalog if you'd like.

Trudy Powell

Making Cooking Oils for Gifts

If you have access to a copy of the Ball Blue Book (the "bible" of food canners and preservers), use their guidance in preparing your oils. Most herbs are fine, but you should totally avoid garlic because of the high risk of botulism. (11/18/2005)

By LanaAnn

Making Cooking Oils for Gifts

I remember watching a cooking show where the chef made various flavored oils. He boiled and included a little vinegar in each bottle. He said it would keep the oil from developing botulism. The main culprit was garlic. I've checked all of my canning books--none tell how to make oils. I'd definitely do some research on the Web before making gifts that may make people sick. E-mail Ball, Kerr, and different cooking sites with the question. I'm sure you'll get some answers and some great recipes for making the oils too. Good luck! (11/21/2005)

By susan