Using Essential Oils

Category Make Your Own
Essential oils can be used in making many products for your home and personal care. This is a guide about using essential oils.

For insect repellent, essential oils such as clover, citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, cedar and lemon grass repel bugs naturally. In a spray bottle, combine 1 1/2 tsp. essential oils per cup of vodka. Apply jojoba oil or almond oil to skin before spraying.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I certainly hope that this formula does repel mosquitoes because we have them so badly in our area that they make being outdoors miserable. We have two seasons where I live (SE New Brunswick): winter & mosquito. I guess if the mosquitoes aren't repelled I can ingest some of the vodka to alleviate my suffering and maybe get the little buggers so intoxicated that they go away to sleep it off!

Top Comment

THANK YOU! One thing I read recently is that soy vegetable oil is a natural effective repellent that works almost as efficiently on its own as the chemical sprays to repel mosquitoes. You can add the essential oils on top of this for super repellent. I don't use soy for eating, but keep a small bottle for this purpose. With concern that mosquitoes are carriers of some of the new tick borne illnesses, it's worth using a repellent.

Instead of spending good money on expensive insect repellent, dab a few drops of tea tree oil on most of your pulse-points like your wrists, behind the ears and knees. Don't forget to dab a drop atop of your cleavage, ladies!

I have used this for years as a repellent and if you forget to use it, it will also heal bad insect bites. I personally love the smell too.

By Jeta from Cumbria, UK

For a spa-like atmosphere in the shower, place a few drops of essential oil on the wall of the shower or tub surround. Do this before turning the water on. It is a simple pleasure I appreciate.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Instead of buying potpourri to use in sachets for drawers, use fragranced sewn or knitted ornaments, etc. Just put a few drops of essential oil of your choice onto some cotton or wool, and place or sew it inside the item.

By Piebald from UK

This is a guide about using lavender essential oil. A fragrant oil made from lavender flowers that has been used in perfumes and for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.

Lavender Essential Oil

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Where is the best place to get essential oils? And can anyone tell me a little about there use?

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

Answers

http://www.best … entialDesc.shtml

My skin is extremely dry. So much that a few parts of my body , has cracked skin. Even though I use creams and lotions for soothing. My hands and feet have wrinkles [ALTHOUGH I AM A TEENAGER] .My palms are also extremely rough.My face is not dry though. I would like you to tell me a Home-made remedy or a cream that is really effective.

THANX
XYZ

dear xyz,you may want to get checked for psorisis this is a skin condition that needs to be treated by a dr and it sounds like you may have it. on the other hand if it is not you can treat your hands and any dry skin with mane and tail conditioner.this can be picked up in most drug stores and is very inexpensive.it was originally used for horses but is now produces for human use also.it works great for dry cracked skin hope this helps

I use Dischem Vitamin E 7000 Cream on my skin (heels also!) and it works wonderfully. Not greasy at all and R30 for a big tub. However, this is South Africa, so I don't know what similar products are available in your country.
Dry skin could also be a symptom of poor blood circulation, so it's worth investigating that as well. Especially if you are diabetic and your feet are affected.

There are lots of places to be thrifty-this isn't one of them. Buying true essential oils is a "you get what you pay for" area. For instance, rose oil is very expensive, like $100/oz or something, so if you find a "deal" at $4.95, you're not getting true rose oil. Most other true oils aren't this expensive, but they aren't cheap. The good news is that a little goes a long way, so you won't have to use a lot in your project. I would suggest the brands Nature's Sunshine and Health Quest.""

I buy a lot of products from http://therapyg … 20/merchant.mvc? to use when making my own lotions, soaps, etc. I love their stuff!

I buy the essential oils that I use (peppermint oil for instance for mouse repellent; works great!) at our local health food store. And Beckie is right: this is one area not to scrimp on; make sure that they are the true essential oil, yes the real oils will be more expensive but you don't have to use very much each time since they're so concentrated; the imitation ones won't work nearly as well (or at all!) for what you're using them for. (If you don't have a good local health food store that sells them, maybe you can find them online.) Good luck!

I buy essential oils at www.craftybubbles.com for $1 each. They are about $5 each locally, so it's worth it for me. How are they used? For us, I use them to scent homemade laundry detergent and cleaners, as a fragrance when I'm vacuuming my carpets to freshen the air. They are supposed to be used for a variety of things, I use the lavendar for scent as well as antibacterial/antiseptic properties.

I swear by Corn Huskers Lotion and Bag Balm for cracked skin. Both are fairly inexpensive. You can still find Corn Huskers at most drug stores, and Bag Balm can be found at most feed and seed stores, also mail order through Vermont Country Store and Lehmans.

With respect to essential oils...this truly is one place you don't want to scrimp. You get what you pay for. Also, essential oils are concentrated and NOT food grade products. DO NOT ingest them or feed them to your pets. I also don't reccomend putting them on your pets skin or fur, especially cats since they groom heavily. Just my personal opinion.

I got some oils for soap but they work great on skin to at "Michael's" for $2.99(Can.). Like these aren't essential oils but they're the same but cheaper.

What oils can I use to prevent bug bites?

Answers

its not the prettiest smelling and rather expensive, take a few drops of TeaTree Oil in palm and rub together and rub over skin area....like garlic to the vampires!! happy hiking.

skin so soft bath oil from avon!

Avon Skin So Soft is a great bug repellant

I use Skin So Soft bath oil also. I put some in a small spray bottle and keep it handy. Works great and smells better than repellants and surely is better for my skin.

Actually regular baby oil will do the same thing as Skin So Soft. Avon just doesn't want you to know this.

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

Answers

I cant handle scent in my laundry detergent..but the only scent that doesnt trigger migraines is a true essential oil. Could you please send me the recipe for your laundry detergent?
That would be great

this is the recipe that i use. it is the best one i have tried so far.. i did not originally make up this recipe, another member did and i just copied it. good luck with it

Liquid Laundry Detergent

3 Pints Water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha or Ivory Soap, Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
Bucket
4 Quarts + 1 Pint Boiling/Hot Water
optional: 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (or whatever EO you prefer)
optional: 10 drops Tea Tree Oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts boiling hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

If essential oils make you ill (I can relate), try boiling several lemon rinds in the water before you add it to your soap mixture. Try to scrape most of the pith out first. I do this to freshen my kitchen. You could even wrap them in cheesecloth so it would be easy to pull them out before using the water. You could probably use any citrus you prefer, but I would be afraid orange would stain the laundry.

What is citric essential oil and where can I purchase this? Will it hurt my plants?

By Andy

I went on holiday to Turkey last September. I bought some essential oils from a shop that was recommended. The problem is I have lost the translation for them even though the shopkeeper was English.

If I give a list of them could anyone please help. They are Esansi Nane Havuc Gul Yagi. I found them still in my suitcase just this morning. Hope I have gotten the right name for these oils.

Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

I have just started to use essential oils for my skincare and have read how to store them. What I would like to know would it be better to store the oils in my fridge to prolong the shelf life or just keep them in the dark bottles in a cupboard. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

Could anyone help me? I am trying to find information (free) for mixing essential oils with carrier oils for skin use. I know about the carrier oils, but I would like a list of what the best oils are and which oils go together best for facial use.

I have tried some sites, but they are not much help apart from recommending their books. Also, what is the dilution? Many thanks.

Helen x

By Helen from U.K

Could someone tell me how to make an after bath splash with essential oils?

By Jae from Kingston, NY

Can I use the liquid form of candle scents to add to lamp oil?

By TJ from central OH