Using Essential Oils

Category Make Your Own
Essential oils can be used in making many products for your home and personal care. This is a page about using essential oils.

For insect repellent, essential oils such as clover, citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, cedar and lemon grass repel bugs naturally. In a spray bottle, combine 1 1/2 tsp. essential oils per cup of vodka. Apply jojoba oil or almond oil to skin before spraying.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

For a spa-like atmosphere in the shower, place a few drops of essential oil on the wall of the shower or tub surround. Do this before turning the water on. It is a simple pleasure I appreciate.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Instead of buying potpourri to use in sachets for drawers, use fragranced sewn or knitted ornaments, etc. Just put a few drops of essential oil of your choice onto some cotton or wool, and place or sew it inside the item.

By gill from UK

Where is the best place to get essential oils? And can anyone tell me a little about there use?

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

Answers

By XYZ (Guest Post)

My skin is extremely dry. So much that a few parts of my body , has cracked skin. Even though I use creams and lotions for soothing. My hands and feet have wrinkles [ALTHOUGH I AM A TEENAGER] .My palms are also extremely rough.My face is not dry though. I would like you to tell me a Home-made remedy or a cream that is really effective.

THANX
XYZ

By denise warner (Guest Post)

dear xyz,you may want to get checked for psorisis this is a skin condition that needs to be treated by a dr and it sounds like you may have it. on the other hand if it is not you can treat your hands and any dry skin with mane and tail conditioner.this can be picked up in most drug stores and is very inexpensive.it was originally used for horses but is now produces for human use also.it works great for dry cracked skin hope this helps

I use Dischem Vitamin E 7000 Cream on my skin (heels also!) and it works wonderfully. Not greasy at all and R30 for a big tub. However, this is South Africa, so I don't know what similar products are available in your country.

Dry skin could also be a symptom of poor blood circulation, so it's worth investigating that as well. Especially if you are diabetic and your feet are affected.

By Beckie (Guest Post)

There are lots of places to be thrifty-this isn't one of them. Buying true essential oils is a "you get what you pay for" area. For instance, rose oil is very expensive, like $100/oz or something, so if you find a "deal" at $4.95, you're not getting true rose oil. Most other true oils aren't this expensive, but they aren't cheap. The good news is that a little goes a long way, so you won't have to use a lot in your project. I would suggest the brands Nature's Sunshine and Health Quest.""

I buy a lot of products from therapygarden.com/.../merchant.mvc? to use when making my own lotions, soaps, etc. I love their stuff!

I buy the essential oils that I use (peppermint oil for instance for mouse repellent; works great!) at our local health food store. And Beckie is right: this is one area not to scrimp on; make sure that they are the true essential oil, yes the real oils will be more expensive but you don't have to use very much each time since they're so concentrated; the imitation ones won't work nearly as well (or at all!) for what you're using them for.

(If you don't have a good local health food store that sells them, maybe you can find them online.) Good luck!

I buy essential oils at www.craftybubbles.com for $1 each. They are about $5 each locally, so it's worth it for me. How are they used? For us, I use them to scent homemade laundry detergent and cleaners, as a fragrance when I'm vacuuming my carpets to freshen the air. They are supposed to be used for a variety of things, I use the lavendar for scent as well as antibacterial/antiseptic properties.

What oils can I use to prevent bug bites?

Answers

its not the prettiest smelling and rather expensive, take a few drops of TeaTree Oil in palm and rub together and rub over skin area....like garlic to the vampires!! happy hiking.

By pammd (Guest Post)

skin so soft bath oil from avon!

By Lois D (Guest Post)

Avon Skin So Soft is a great bug repellant

By Graycrab (Guest Post)

I use Skin So Soft bath oil also. I put some in a small spray bottle and keep it handy.

Works great and smells better than repellants and surely is better for my skin.

Actually regular baby oil will do the same thing as Skin So Soft. Avon just doesn't want you to know this.

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

What is citric essential oil and where can I purchase this? Will it hurt my plants?

By Andy

I went on holiday to Turkey last September. I bought some essential oils from a shop that was recommended. The problem is I have lost the translation for them even though the shopkeeper was English.

If I give a list of them could anyone please help. They are Esansi Nane Havuc Gul Yagi. I found them still in my suitcase just this morning. Hope I have gotten the right name for these oils.

Many thanks.

By helen from U.K

I have just started to use essential oils for my skincare and have read how to store them. What I would like to know would it be better to store the oils in my fridge to prolong the shelf life or just keep them in the dark bottles in a cupboard. Many thanks.

By helen from U.K

Could anyone help me? I am trying to find information (free) for mixing essential oils with carrier oils for skin use. I know about the carrier oils, but I would like a list of what the best oils are and which oils go together best for facial use.

I have tried some sites, but they are not much help apart from recommending their books. Also, what is the dilution? Many thanks.

Helen x

By helen from U.K

Could someone tell me how to make an after bath splash with essential oils?

By Jae from Kingston, NY

Can I use the liquid form of candle scents to add to lamp oil?

By Tj rasp from central OH

Making your own candles, air freshener, scented lamp oil or fragrance can be rewarding. Essential oils can be used to make many different things around the home smell good.

A collection of essential oils.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about tea tree oil as insect repellent. Some people find tea tree oil to be an effective insect repellent. One thing to keep in mind is that it can be toxic to pets, so you should avoid using it for your pet both topically and orally.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about using lavender essential oil. A fragrant oil made from lavender flowers that has been used in perfumes and for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.

Lavender Essential Oil

Make Your OwnMarch 12, 2013
🐛
😎
😷
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Essential-Oils.html