Making Soap Using Melt and Pour

I am going to have a go at making homemade soap bars with Melt and Pour as this seems the easiest way to start. Could I use food colouring instead of buying soap colouring? And would anyone know who is the cheapest supplier of the Melt and Pour? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

Answers:

Making Soap Using Melt and Pour

I would not recommend food coloring. It's the same stuff we use to dye Easter eggs, and you wouldn't want to risk coloring skin that way. When I've colored soap, I've used powdered pigments instead of dyes. It just takes a wee bit to add a good amount of color.

I usually order my supplies online. The company I've ordered from is in the U.S., so I imagine shipping to the U.K. would be cost prohibitive. Here is a link to the place I've used the most, if you want to check. Their site isn't fancy at all, but they've got a lot of information:
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/index.html

Select "colorants" from the left-hand menu to find their pigments and dyes. Select "Bases" and then click "Glycerin Soap" for their melt and pour bases. There is a section for recipes, which might give you ideas. I've also used this website for packaging (lip balm tubes, shrink wrap for the tubes, cello bags for soaps, etc.), and for lip balm and bath fizzies supplies.

I suggest you just do some searching online to find a supplier in the U.K. Even with shipping, I tend to pay less when ordering online (and I get a better selection) than when I buy locally from a craft store. Best of luck have fun making soap! (07/29/2010)

By mrs.story

Making Soap Using Melt and Pour

I hope you find a good source, and that you have lots of fun making some wonderful soaps! I like to put something abrasive in my soaps, to help exfoliate. Several years back I bought a container of strawberry seeds from Majestic Mountain Sage, and I still have most of it, it doesn't take much! So if you decide to try something like that, get the smallest container they offer. :-) Please do share your results! (07/31/2010)

By mrs.story

Making Soap Using Melt and Pour

Try the soapqueen.com She even has her own store. She also shows you how-to-do melt and pour videos that you can watch on line. (08/07/2010)

By castleberrycc

Striated homemade soap in reds, pinks, and blue.
Making Melt and Pour Soap
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄