Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Yarn Easter Eggs

Making decorative yarn or string Easter eggs could become a new family tradition. This is a guide about making yarn Easter eggs.

Debra Frick4 found this helpful

These eggs can be used as a centerpiece on your Easter table or you can cut a hole in them and they can be used as an Easter basket. These are easy enough to make that it can be a family project.

If you are going to have your children help to make these eggs then I would suggest using quick drying glue instead of a glue gun when applying the decorations. It will just make it safer for the kids. What I love about these is that they are delicate and lacy but pretty sturdy when you go to store them. These can also be made from thrift store or yard sale finds on half empty spools of thread, just tie your ends together to make two toned eggs.

These can be made all different sizes by varying how much you blow up the balloons. So have fun and make a dozen. You can display them on your table in a small bowl if you make small ones. One large one filled with Spring silk flowers makes a wonderful display.

Time to complete: 1 hour plus dry time

Materials

Use some white paper or old sheet or table cloth to cover the work area, a old shower curtain would work well here also. I would try to avoid newspaper as the Stiffy or glue mixture can make newspaper ink bleed.

Instructions

1. Blow up balloons to desired size. I just put the starch in a bowl and dip the string in the starch and apply to the balloon.
  2. Wrap the balloon with crochet thread making sure that thread goes in all different directions as if wrapping a ball of yarn. How many times you wrap around the balloon is up to you; the less you wrap the lacier it will look, the more you wrap the sturdier the egg becomes.
  3. Ad

4. In addition to dipping the crochet thread as I put it on the balloon, I put it in small margarine container, the Stiffy Fabric Stiffener or your white glue and water mixture or full strength starch. With your paint brush, make sure that you saturated your crochet thread completely. This can be quite messy so I would cover your table with an old sheet or an old shower curtain. Stiffy Fabric Stiffener and the glue and water mixture or starch are water based so they will wash out.
  5. Set your covered balloon in a margarine container to dry.
  6. When it is almost completely dry, I flatten the bottom by pushing down on a flat surface so my egg will stand up right.
  7. Now pop the balloon.
  8. Wrap wired ribbon around the egg and hot glue a bow to the side of the egg or top your choice.
  9. If leaving the egg whole for a centerpiece, fish out popped balloon with a crochet hook.
  10. If you are going to cut into the egg, take sharp scissors and cut a hole in the side of your egg. Take out your popped balloon. Now glue flat lace around the opening that you have made to cover all raw cut edges.
  11. Now you can decorate the opening with pearls or ribbon roses or rhinestones. You can fill the inside with Easter grass and use as an Easter Basket or you can fill the inside with small figures like a diorama or with silk flowers.
  12. If you would like your egg to stand up rather than lay on it's side you can cover a small container with lace to set your egg into like a base for it. Or use a crystal bowl or silver bowl as the base.

Yarn would be too heavy, too thick, you need to use the white crochet thread and wind it tightly.

Why does no one have a picture of the string Easter eggs? How much string do I use? How much of the balloon should be covered? Does anyone have pictures for this craft?

Barb from Weidman, MI

When I was in elementary school in the 1960's, we also made paper mache made with pretty colored paper or tissue paper over balloons. After it dried, we cut out the side and made a scene inside like a sugar egg.

I purchase a bottle of liquid starch and a ball of crochet string. I fill a Ziploc baggie with the starch and place the ball of string in it and place both in a cereal bowl. I let it sit for 3-4 days and keep turning the ball of string in the bag until it is saturated all the way through to the core. I blow up a balloon to the size I want. Now comes the messy part, place newspaper on the table and the floor, this is going to get real sticky! I wrap the balloon with the whole ball of string, squeezing some of the liquid down the string as I go. I take the ball of string out of the bag and place it in the bowl, stand on a chair and wrap the balloon until the whole ball is wrapped around the balloon. I then place newspaper down where I'm going to set the eggs to dry, this will take 3-4 days. I then place the balloon lightly in the top of a drinking glass (fat side of the balloon in the glass first), so it retains it's shape and as it dries I turn it around and upside down. After 3-4 days I remove it from the glass. You will find that the balloon inside will shrink, just pop it slowly and remove it. You can then draw the shape you wish to cut out on the egg with a marker and cut it out. Hope this helps! I just love to make these! Enjoy.

There are directions for this craft under Lacy Easter Eggs on Thrifty fun. The article has pictures also.

I made these many years ago with sugar water. I wouldn't recommend it. The first year it went great - the next brought 100 bazillion ants. I was looking on here to see if anyone uses starch and I see they do. I will do that. But yes, get yellow, pink, or whatever color crochet thread from a craft store and blow up a balloon to whatever size you want it and start wrapping, criss crossing the thread in every direction (it will look like one of those old string designs people used to make) until you use all the ball, or until you get tired and decide that's the perfect amount. Dip it all in starch - not sugar water (LOL) - and sit it in the bathtub to dry over a pan or whatever. Then when it's dry pop the balloon with a pin and pull it out. Figure out how you want to set the thing on a table as a candy dish and squish the bottom down flat so it sits. Cut out an oval on front. Put glue around the edges you've just cut, and glue on lace and bows if you want. Put Easter grass inside and fill with candy. It's really kind of fun to do with or for kids and looks very pretty.

I made these too years ago when they used sugar water to make them stiff...until...... lol the mice enjoyed them more than I did. Thank goodness they came up with the fabric stiffener or the glue mixture. We made cute smaller ones for Christmas decorations to hang on the tree also.

March 4, 2009 Flag

Could you please send me how to make Easter eggs out of string and balloons?

Judy from Climax, NC

Answers:

String Easter Eggs

Use either liquid starch or cooked starch, blow up balloon, them dip string in starch and wrap around the balloon, let dry them prick with a pin, then cut out center. (03/13/2008)

By kakalina

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 5, 2008 Flag

I am looking for instructions on how to make string Easter eggs. You use embroidery floss, starch, and a small balloon. Can anyone help me with instructions?

Thanks.
Sandy from Moose Lake, MN

Answers:

String Easter Eggs

To make String Easter Eggs, you will need liquid starch, CROCHET thread, a balloon and a pan to catch the starch.

Blow up the balloon to the desired size and tie the top two times. Take the end of the crochet thread and tie it to the top of the balloon. Start winding the crochet thread around the balloon in all directions until you have used up all the thread. Tie the end to the top of the balloon.

Pour the liquid starch on the balloon, making sure you have your pan underneath to catch the dripping starch.
Saturate the balloon and use your hands to make sure all the thread is covered in starch.

Hang to dry for about a day, making sure you have a pan underneath the hanging egg to catch the starch. As the starch hardens, the balloon will shrink some, but it should not pop.The bottom will be the last to dry. When the starch is completely dry, pop the balloon. Gently, press the bottom on a flat surface so the egg will set straight.

With scissors, cut a hole in the side of the egg in an oval shape. Decorate with lace, flowers, etc., using hot glue. Put some Easter grass in the bottom and glue curly ribbon to the top. Enjoy! Happy Easter!

P.S. If your egg "flops", just put another balloon inside, with the top of the balloon at the top of the egg and blow up and re-starch! If you have already cut a hole in the side of the balloon, don't despair, this will work, too! This time, let it dry COMPLETELY!!! (03/09/2006)

By

String Easter Eggs

When I make them I just put the starch in a bowl and dip the string in the starch and apply to the balloon.
A couple of ideas also are:
1. If you draw a circle on the balloon close to the bottom with marker. When you apply the string don't put any in the circle area. When you are done and the balloon is dry, you now have an opening for a small toy or egg.
2. Use a ring from a sealer jar, glue some lace on to it and you have a stand for your egg. (03/10/2006)

By

String Easter Eggs

My mom used to make these years ago. She would use sugar, not starch. Cook the sugar/water mix (maybe look up the ratios on a cooking site) to a soft crack stage. Let cool until just warm, and dip the string covered balloons. She used crochet thread for pretty colors.We always cut the opening after the eggs were dry. We would hang them over a cookie sheet by the balloon tie end to drip. It makes a nice crystalline look. One problem, though. I can remember my little sister licking them. Happy Easter!
MD (03/10/2006)

By mistressdevine50

String Easter Eggs

When I made these with my girls we used Elmer's Glue and just thinned it with a little water. I also used balloons and crochet thread. I still have some we made 20-23 years ago. (03/10/2006)

By Conni.

String Easter Eggs

I just use the plastic eggs that you open to put candy in. When I open them, I insert dental floss, and then close it on the floss. (It stays!) Then I tie the other end to the branches and shrubs and hide candy, small trinkets, and coins inside. Happy Easter! (03/11/2006)

By AMY

String Easter Eggs

THESE ARE ALL GREAT IDEAS...WE JUST DIP YARN IN A GLUE/WATER MIX AND WRAP AROUND A BALLOON.WE USE 2 OR 3 COLORS IN PALE SHADES AND DECORATE A TREE WITH THESE. (03/22/2006)

By ROE

String Easter Eggs

There are instructions for this craft at this link.

http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/egg.html (03/31/2006)

By

String Easter Eggs

Hi, first you wrap your balloon with string usually one ball of string per balloon. You go up and down on the balloon then wrap around sideways, then finish going up and down again that away string is in all directions and sticks well after being dipped. You want to wrap about 5 at a time depending on how many you wanna make.

Then you want to get a big pan and mix your sugar. I use 1 cup sugar to 2 cups of water. Heat your sugar on stove on medium heat till warm and all sugar is dissolved ,sugar should be a thick syrupy texture, let cool then pour in sink or something big enough to roll your balloon around in. Make sure you soak your string wrapped balloon , be careful as sugar starts to crystallize and may pop balloon.

Then you want to hang them to dry for about 24 hours until they become hard. To hang, tie a piece of string under knot on top of balloon. They can be very messy so you have to put plastic down to catch sugar. (11/07/2007)

By shannon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
Peeps Easter basket
10 Fun Easter Crafts
Balloon Bean Bags
Crafts Using Balloons
Crafts Easter DecorationsJanuary 7, 2013
Easter Pin Ideas
Easter Pin Ideas
Peeps Easter Basket
Peeps Easter Basket
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 9:04:53 PM on 10.0.2.29 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.