Making a 5 Point Crochet Star

Category Patterns
array of stars
There are a lot of patterns available for making a crocheted 5 point star. This is a guide about making a 5 point crochet star.

In looking for examples of 5 pointed stars I found this cute star designed by Leonie Morgan as a Christmas star. It and more lovely crochet items can be found on her website: wool and hook.

She recommends that you use light worsted/DK weight yarn or wool and a G - 6 hook/4mm. (I used that for the red and silver stars and a #4 medium weight and a larger hook for the grey star on bottom.)

Stitches Used in This Project:

sl st - slip stitch
ch - chain stitch
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
picot - made in this way: ch 3, sl in top of last sc worked

Instructions:

Chain 4 and join to form a circle.

Round 1: In the ring work, (ch1, sc, ch2) counts as first dc, 2 dc, * ch2, 3dc. Rep * three times, ending with ch 2. Now join to the top of the first dc made. You should have 5 dc groups and 5 ch2 spaces.

Round 2: sl st in next dc. *Skip next dc, in ch2sp work (3dc, ch2, 3dc). Skip next dc, sl st in next dc. Rep * around.

Round 3: Sl st into next dc, ch 1 and sc in same stitch. Sc in next two dc. * In ch2sp work (2sc, picot, sc), sc in next three dcs, sl st in sl st of previous round. Sc in next three dc. Repeat * three times. (2sc, picot, sc) in ch2sp, sc in next three dc. Sl st in sl st of previous round.

Weave in the ends. In order for the star to keep its shape, you can wash and pin to shape. If you want the the star to hang as an ornament or other decoration such as a garland, spray with laundry starch and leave until completely dry.

Here is one example of how to make a five pointed, crocheted star. This one is based on the instructions posted on this site several years ago. I wanted to give it a try and add some photos of my finished stars.

Total Time: 5+ minutes per star

Yield: 1

• Bernat Handicrafter cotton yarn, or yarn of your choice
  • crochet hook size I
  • scissors

1. Ch 3. Work 10 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. Join to form a circle.
  2. *ch 5, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch. Sk 1 hdc of beg ring and join in next hdc.* (First point made)
  3. Rep * to * 4 more times to make the last 4 points.
  4. Weave in ends.
  5. Clip off excess yarn.
  6. Ad

I wanted to post a few examples of five pointed, crochet stars. Thus far I have reworked one posted some time ago by one of our members and one taken from the Wool and Hook website. Today I am sharing an nifty star pattern designed by Melissa Masterton. Melissa has a lovely blog site where you can find many patterns and crochet items: Ruby and Custard. She graciously allowed us to post her pattern to share with our members.

I have only been able to make a few stars. I am hoping in the coming months to use them to craft a project for my home. I am toying with a few ideas and hopefully will be able to share the project here when it is completed. But first the stars, perhaps you will be inspired.

• DK yarn in your choice of color, I also played with the pattern using cotton yarn and a larger hook.
  • 4 mm crochet hook

I followed Melissa's lead and made my ring using "the magic ring" technique.

1. Make your ring using the magic ring technique, or if you don't mind the small hole in the center you can use the more traditional method used when making a pattern such as a granny square. Chain 2, make 9hdc in the ring. Pull the ring closed and slip stitch into the top of the second chain to complete the circle. You will have 10 stitches.
  2. Round 2: Join a new color, if desired, chain 2, hdd into the first stitch. Chain 1, work a bobble stitch, and continue working a chain 1, bobble stitch around the circle. Slip stitch into the top of the first stitch to join the circle. You now have 20 stitches.
  3. Round 3: This round consists of 5 sets of stitch groups, each one is worked across 4 stitches. Again join a new color, if desired. (Sc, hdc) in first stitch, (dc, trb, chain 2) in second stitch, (trb, dc) in third stitch, (hdc, sc) in fourth stitch. You have just completed the first point on your star. Continue these steps across each set of 4 stitches to make the five points on your star.

Stitches used in this project:

single crochet (sc) - insert hook in stitch or space indicated, yarn over (YO) and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook). YO and draw through both loops on hook.

half double crochet (hdd) - YO, insert hook in stitch or space indicated, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook

double crochet (dc) - YO, insert hook in stitch or space indicated, YO and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, YO and draw through remaining 2 loops on hook

bobble stitch - this is the same as a hdc2tog, only worked in the same st, instead of being worked over 2 sts - yo, insert hook through next stitch, yo, pull back through stitch (3 loops on hook), yo and pull through 2 loops (2 loops on hook), yo and insert hook through same stitch yo, hook back through stitch (4 loops on hook), yo and pull through 2 loops (3 loops on hook), yo and pull through all 3 loops

treble crochet (tr) - YO twice, insert hook in stitch or space indicated, YO and pull up a loop (4 loops on hook), YO and draw through 2 loops on hook (3 loops on hook), YO and pull through two loops, (2 loops on hook), YO and pull through two remaining hooks

How do I crochet a 5 point star?

By dee307 from West Bend, WI

http://chezcrochet.com/page74.html

This is a wonderful site that gives you more free patterns than you will ever need. The above link is for the five point stars but this one is for the site itself. Good Luck!

http://www.croc  om/directory.php

Here's the easiest pattern I've found and the stars turn out beautifully.

Ch 3. Work 10 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. Join.

*Ch 5. Sl St in 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next ch. Hdc in next ch, Dc in next ch. Sk 1 hdc of beg ring and join in next hdc.* (First point made)

Rep * to * 4 more times to make the last 4 points.

I just made a project calling for 12 stars and it took me less than an hour to make all 12.