Making a Fleece Scarf

Category How To
Woman wearing a fleece scarf.
A inexpensive, cozy wrap can be made with this material. This guide is about making a fleece scarf.

Go to the fabric store, and buy one yard of pretty fleece, preferably in a neutral color. Ask the sales person to cut it in 12 inch increments. Take one of the cut pieces, lay it out, and trim off the ends. Then make fringe about one inch apart, six inches long on each end. Tie a knot in each fringe. Now you have a nice, pretty scarf to give as a gift. Duplicate your efforts on the remaining two pieces. You now have three Christmas presents to give, at a cost of under 10.00!

By Gloria H.

Read 6 Comments

I have made beautiful red scarves out of the fleece from the remnant bin at Walmart. I thought this pattern and design might be beautiful and I was right!

I dearly love to make fleece scarves, and I wear them all the time because they are so soft and warm. I buy the yard remnants and I was able to make five scarves out of a remnant that cost less than five dollars.

A good tip would be to buy a new pair of scissors each year that you plan to make scarves. The kids wear out my scissors, so it is easiest to buy a cheap but new pair of scissors.

I fold the fabric in half and cut the scarves as wide as I like to have them. They are all a yard long. I like to make the wider scarves. I have made less wide ones, but the wide ones are warmer and more popular!

Then I cut the fringe on each end. I like my fringe to be as long as my index finger at least. I don't really measure, I just estimate it from sight.

The scarves they sell at Walmart are beautiful, but we chose to buy fancy hats and make our own scarves this year. Fleece from the remnant bin is so warm. The scarves for sale at Walmart are not as warm as the ones I make, they are more for fashion.

I saw on here how a reader made a felt flower she planned to put on her fleece scarves. I am going to do that also. Soon I will make pink scarves for Valentine's, although I might have to buy the pink fleece.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

Read 1 Comment

This is a guide about making a no-sew fleece scarf. Because you don't really need to hem fleece fabric it is a good choice for making quick and easy scarves.

No-Sew Fleece Scarf - Finished scarf being worn.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can you tell me how to make a fleece scarf?

By Chris from Fall River, MA

You can also just cut fringe along the ends of the fleece, any length you want and about the width of a finger.

Cut a 7" wide scarf, fold in half lengthwise,cut half inch fringe 3" deep, tie a knot in top 2 pieces of fringe,tie a knot in next 2 pieces on opposite side of scarf repeat until all fringe is tied. These make cute scarves you can dress up or down.

When making a fleece scarf, do you or can you double the fabric?

By Yvonne from Lumberton, TX

I have seen directions for making double layer scarves out of fleese. I used to have a pattern for that. Google making fleece scarves or else look for site called sewing with nancy, I think she might have something like that.

How do you make fleece scarves with loops?

Trish from Indianapolis,IN

There are instructions here for one:

http://www.june … ts_FleeceBoa.htm

Did you know that you can make scarves from fleece, just like you make blankets? My daughter made herself one at college. She used plain white fleece and then bought fringe to put on and the total cost was less than $3. Everyone loves fleece and this is just one more creative way to use it. Also another great thing for those of us who do not sew.

By Robin from Washington, IA

NO SEWING REQUIRED:

Gotta stay warm during the winter. First, determine with your kids the width size, by comparing various other scarves. Next, take them to your local fabric store and let them look through all the fleece fabrics. Even if they like the more expensive fleece prints, it doesn't matter, because it won't take much. A nice scarf these days easily starts at $6. Even the most expensive fleece fabrics will be $6/yard, and you won't need half that much. And don't worry; sometimes fleece is $1/yard. Anyway, ask the sales person to cut the fleece to the width size you're looking for. (It doesn't matter if they have to charge you slightly more; the time and frustration it saves is worth it.)

At home, decide if you want fringe, and if your fabric can handle it. (Notice esp. what the ends look like. Also, if it's a festive print, you probably will not want fringe.) For fringe have the kids (if they're old enough) make fringe, simply by cutting the ends about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch apart. These make warm, pretty scarves. Nobody will know they're homemade.

By Jen from Rock Hill, SC

Answers:

Making Scarves for Gifts

Here are links for patterns:

craftandfabriclinks.com

ehow.com

getcreativeshow.com

Susan from ThriftyFun

(11/29/2005)

By ThriftyFun