Browsing: Making a Fleece Scarf

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Fleece Scarf

A inexpensive, cozy wrap can be made with this material. This guide is about making a fleece scarf.

Woman wearing a fleece scarf.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 3, 2013 Flag

I always find myself looking at fleece at the fabric store, but I can only make so many blankets. So I decided to start making scarves so that I could still buy the patterns I like. They take up less space too! :)

no_sew_fleece_scarf

• 8 in piece of fleece (58"-60" wide)
  • scissors
  • ruler

Related Products:

1. Trim off the selvage edges of the fleece.
  2. fleece
  3. Use a ruler to cut fringe that is 1" wide and 3" long.
  4. cut_fringe
  5. You can either finish the fringe by knotting it or leave it alone as it will not fray.
  6. knotted_fringeunknotted_fringe

January 4, 2012 Flag

Red fleece scarf with stars.I have made beautiful red scarves out of the fleece from the remnant bin at Walmart. I thought this pattern and design might be beautiful and I was right!

I dearly love to make fleece scarves, and I wear them all the time because they are so soft and warm. I buy the yard remnants and I was able to make five scarves out of a remnant that cost less than five dollars.

A good tip would be to buy a new pair of scissors each year that you plan to make scarves. The kids wear out my scissors, so it is easiest to buy a cheap but new pair of scissors.

I fold the fabric in half and cut the scarves as wide as I like to have them. They are all a yard long. I like to make the wider scarves. I have made less wide ones, but the wide ones are warmer and more popular!

Then I cut the fringe on each end. I like my fringe to be as long as my index finger at least. I don't really measure, I just estimate it from sight.

The scarves they sell at Walmart are beautiful, but we chose to buy fancy hats and make our own scarves this year. Fleece from the remnant bin is so warm. The scarves for sale at Walmart are not as warm as the ones I make, they are more for fashion.

I saw on here how a reader made a felt flower she planned to put on her fleece scarves. I am going to do that also. Soon I will make pink scarves for Valentine's, although I might have to buy the pink fleece.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

November 25, 2004 Flag

Go to the fabric store, and buy one yard of pretty fleece, preferably in a neutral color. Ask the sales person to cut it in 12 inch increments. Take one of the cut pieces, lay it out, and trim off the ends. Then make fringe about one inch apart, six inches long on each end. Tie a knot in each fringe. Now you have a nice, pretty scarf to give as a gift. Duplicate your efforts on the remaining two pieces. You now have three Christmas presents to give, at a cost of under 10.00!

By Gloria H.

December 5, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know where I can get a print out for some of these projects? I would love a picture also, so that I know what I am doing. There are a few different kinds I would like the plans for.

By Sandy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google no-sew fleece scarves or whatever other item you want to make. You should find all kinds of ideas. Also go to the Joann fabrics.com site and look for projects, they might have something.

I don't have a pattern for it, but my friend made me one last year.

It is about 6 inches wide, and about 3 feet long. On the ends, she cut into it in 1 inch strips, about 3-4 inches long, making a 'fringe'.

With the 'fringe', she put coordinating beads on each strip, tying a knot in between some of the beads, and with some of the fringe strips, just putting on beads, and tying a knot at the end, to keep them from coming off (looks sort of like the beaded braids women used to wear).

I love it and get lots of comments when I wear it! Best of luck to you, and hope you find what you are looking for!

Try here for simple instructions, pictures, and ideas for more:

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/fl ... jectsandtips/a/SimpleFleeceScarf.htm

Fleece yardage is 56 - 60 inches wide. Cut whatever length you need (I like 12-18 inches wide) across the entire width of the fabric. Mark each end about 3 or 4 inches in and cut strips every 1/2 to 3/4 inch up to the line you have marked. You can tie a know in each strip, or put a bead on each strip, or just leave them be. Easy, warm, fuzzy, and fun!

October 21, 2009 Flag

Can you tell me how to make a fleece scarf?

By Chris from Fall River, MA

If you can find it, buy a quality Non-Pill fleece. Cut strips about 60 inches by about 8 inches long. (you don't need to sew or finnish the ends because fleece doesn't fray) Next, punch holes with a hole punch or make tiny slits with sharp scissors (fto do this, simply fold the fabric in half & make tiny cuts) Put these holes or slits along the bottom half-inch of the scarf for hanging fringe.

Then using a crochet hook pull a matching color of yarn through the holes or slits then tie knots to hold yarn in place (a "lanyard' knot can be used instead of knots with many types of fringe) Lastly, lay the scarf flat & fold it in half so the ends are directly on to of each other & comb the fringe straight with your fingers & take very sharp scissors & cut the fringe straight at about 8 inches (or so) long. If you fold the scarf in half, you can cut both ends of fringe at the same time & at the exact same length.

Easy as Pie!

* Pick a nice matching yarn to use for fringe. The fancy fringe is what will make these scarves really special! ...If it were me, I'd probably mix 2 or 3 different textures of yarn together in the same scarf. If your yarn frays, be sure to knot the ends about an inch or so from the ends so it won't fray all the way up. You can also use a product called "Fray-Check".

One of the best things you can use for fringe (that no one thinks of) is (#18, 3-ply) shiny black nylon crochet twine. Most Walmart's have it & sell it with the yarns. It comes on small spools for just under $5. It's usually used to make purses with. I absolutely love the way the ends fray! You simply cut the nylon fringe to an inch longer that you want it, then knot the ends about 3 inches from the bottom, then you have to un-twist the ends so they will fray. Mix this with several other types of yarn & you'll have a wonderful fringe that can't be beat! This nylon is shiny & looks absolutely fascinating. Kind of Gothic or Victorian. It hangs & moves with a slinky feel. When you tie the knots to hold the fringe, you can place a drop of fray-check or clear nail polish in or on the knot so it won't come undone.

Beads can also be added to your fringe. One trick is to use a piece of fish line that's folded in half to help get the beads on to the fringe. Just fold the fish line in half then insert both ends into the bead, & in the loop of fish line that's at the back of the bead, put the yarn in it & pull the ends of fish line through so it pulls the bead on to the yarn or fiber. If you're putting a whole bunch of beads on, you may want to buy a "big-eye" needle".

It's a needle that opens in the center instead of on the end & it will hold any size of yarn. I like plastic beads (IF you can find nice ones!) because they weigh less that glass. If you use glass, use small beads because of the weight. If your fabric is a solid color, for a fancier scarf, you can sew beads on to the fleece scarf itself. but remember to make the front look as nice as the back. You'll see both sides!

You can also just cut fringe along the ends of the fleece, any length you want and about the width of a finger.

Cut a 7" wide scarf, fold in half lengthwise,cut half inch fringe 3" deep, tie a knot in top 2 pieces of fringe,tie a knot in next 2 pieces on opposite side of scarf repeat until all fringe is tied. These make cute scarves you can dress up or down.

November 28, 2010 Flag

When making a fleece scarf, do you or can you double the fabric?

By Yvonne from Lumberton, TX

I have seen directions for making double layer scarves out of fleese. I used to have a pattern for that. Google making fleece scarves or else look for site called sewing with nancy, I think she might have something like that.

December 8, 2008 Flag

How do you make fleece scarves with loops?

Trish from Indianapolis,IN

There are instructions here for one:

http://www.junetailor.com/Creativit ... tSheets_FleeceProjects_FleeceBoa.htm

Crafts Sewing How ToMay 20, 2013
Recycled T-shirt Scarf
Recycled T-shirt Scarf Ideas
multicolored scarf
Making a Crocheted Ruffle Scarf
woman in scarf
Making a Crocheted Scarf
Making a Scarf
Making a Scarf
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 3:19:33 AM on 10.0.1.124 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.