Making a Layer Cake

Category Baking
Strawberry Layer Cake
Making a perfect layer cake can be more challenging than you may think. This is a guide about making a layer cake.

I love to cook and love to bake and most of the time, I do an excellent job. As I get older I find I have more time to do so. One thing I have never been able to master is a layered cake.

Firstly, I purchased good Wilton pans and I grease and flour, but still can't get the cake to release from the pan. Secondly, once the cakes are layered I can not get it frosted for all the crumbs coming off the cake into the icing. If anyone has any advice or tricks please tell me. Nothing is too small. Thanks.

By Paula from MO

Answer Was this helpful? 3

What you need(and they are hard to find) is layer cake pans that have a lever on them that you slide around when you are ready to take the cakes out of the pans. You slide the lever all the way around and this enables the cake to slip right out of the pan, when you tip it over. This was something I learned from my Mother when I was just a little kid. She wouldn't have any other kind of layer cake pans.

I don't know what to do about the crumbs, we never had much trouble with crumbs getting in the frosting. Maybe you are trying to smooth the frosting out to be too smooth. We always used a table knife to make fancy swirls in the frosting around the sides of the cake and on top. It was never nice and smooth. I think you need a special type of frosting to get a nice smooth finish. Back then the smooth finishes weren't really in,

To find the cake pans with the slider on them you might try looking at vermontcountrystore.com, or go to amazon e-bay and type in cake pans and see what you can find. I know I saw some of those pans advertised someplace in the last month.

I grease my pans, line the bottoms w/parchment paper, then grease again and flour. After they're cooled and out of the pans, wrap them well in foil or plastic wrap and freeze them. The trick to frosting them (my friend is a professional cake decorator) is to brush off any loose crumbs then put a thin coat of icing, this will seal any other crumbs. Then frost as you would normally do. The cold cake makes the frosting adhere better. It helps to have the right tools, which I don't but these tricks helped me. I also stumbled on a great site: baking911.com Hope this helps some. Hope to hear if it works for you.

I was going to post similarly to keeper60, except I didn't know about freezing them. (You learn something new every day!) I use Baker's Joy for my pans, it's a non-stick spray that has flour in it. It's great for Bundt pans, and I've never had any problem with my regular layer pans, either. I think they call applying that first thin layer of icing "crumb coating." That extra step really does help.

I hope your cakes are beautiful. Best of luck!

Grease your pans well, flour lightly - tap out the excess flour. Cool in pans as recipe directs (5 mins-10 mins) then turn out onto racks.

For crumbs, before frosting, rub your hand lightly around the sides to remove crumbs. Also, do not let the bare knife touch the cake when frosting! Always use a sufficient amount of frosting between the knife and cake. Maybe it's your frosting! Make sure your frosting is the right consistency - too dry or thick and it's going to pull the crumbs up off the cake.

Using these tips you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!