Maui, Hawaii - Frugal Travel Guide

Maui, the second largest of the Hawaiian Islands, is known for it's beautiful beaches and is a great travel destination for adults and children. This page has tips, photos and guides for traveling to Maui, Hawaii.

June 19, 2006 Flag
Travel Destination: Maui, HI

Country: United States

Free Things to Do:

Mile Marker 14 incredible snorkeling, also behind Kannapali Shores free beach access has unbelievable snorkeling available. Also this location has a giant sea turtle that calls it home.

Low Cost Things to Do:

Snorkeling - Snorkel Bobs for about $20-$30 will get you all the gear you need for a full week of snorkeling fun.

Expensive But Worth It:

Roy's Restaurant in Lahaina. About $100 for 2, but well worth it. Steak so tender it just about falls apart, and you have to check out their chocolate souffle, prepared to order and served warm with a scoop of ice cream. Definately heavenly. Staff is excellent and tends to every need. Linens and fine china. Awesome experience.

Nightlife:

Nature - sunsets, waves crashing on the beach, no need to go any further

Seasonal Information:

Muggy humid, with afternoon showers in May ... but has rewards right around every corner as you slip into the calm ocean for a dip.

Inexpensive Lodging:

Noelani Condos - about $100 per night, includes a kitchen and laundry area, pools, and 20 feet from the ocean

Interesting Facts or History:

Learn about the native Hawaiian culture.

Additional Comments:

Take and book a trip to Hana with a driver, you won't be disappointed. 50+ hairpin turns and one lane bridges, scenery that you just can't find anywhere else.

By Sheri from Modesto CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

April 21, 2011 Flag

My favorite photo of Maui. Hawaii's beautiful landscape and black sand beach. Oh, how I wish I was there right about now.

By Kim

Black Sand Beach (Maui, HI)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

September 24, 2010 Flag

When taking pictures of the sunset on Kamaole Beach III, I seem to have captured the green flash we so often look for! Beautiful.

By Rita

Flash Of Green At Sunset (Maui)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

September 14, 2010 Flag

Silhouette picture of people while watching the rising of the sun from Haleakala (House Of the Sun).

By Jedidiah

Sunrise (Maui, Hawaii)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 17, 2010 Flag

While taking a drive and looking at the beautiful scenery in Maui, we stopped at a beach and saw a Mynah Bird sitting in a tree. What a chance for a photo op.

By Rita

Mynah Bird in Maui

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

April 19, 2012 Flag

My family and I all went to Maui for a big birthday for my Mom. My husband and I were lucky enough to get a little time to go do a few things without the kids, and snorkeling was one of those things.

Sea turtle under water in Maui, Hawaii

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2009 Flag

On my recent vacation in Maui, we were watching the sunset and I saw this beautiful ray of sunlight coming through the clouds with a ship entering into the light. Had to take a picture.

Sunset in Maui

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 29, 2011 Flag

This was a great warm day in Maui, while checking out the different beaches on the west side of the island. I would definitely go back for more! The water was fantastic compared to our year round cold.

Maui Beach

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2010 Flag

Enjoying the heat of the sun with a cool breeze of the Big Beach at Maui, HI

Big Beach (Makena Beach, Maui, HI)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 9, 2012 Flag

I love this picture, the way the light shines through the clouds is so majestic to me, I hope you all like it too!

Scenery: Ocean (Maui, Hawaii) - waves with the sun shining through the clouds.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 9, 2012 Flag

We saw a beautiful banyan tree on our hike up to the Seven Sacred Pools on the road to Hana on Maui.

Man standing next to very large Banyan tree.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States HawaiiFebruary 7, 2013
Hawaiian Fire Dancers
Hawaii Frugal Travel Guide
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Hawaii Christmas Charities
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:49:00 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.