Natural Remedies for Water Retention

Can somebody out there please tell me a proven, easy and natural home remedy to reduce and/or eliminate water retention? Especially around the ankles and fingers. I barely eat foods with salt or fried foods that are known to cause this. So I'm not sure what this could be from.

By Sadie Lynn from USA

Answers:

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

If you think this could be the case, you should try reducing the amount of salt you consume. As far as cooking goes, you can make a marginal reduction in the amount of salt you use in the food, but you should try to cut down in other areas, for example pickles. In addition, you should drink more water - this might seem like a counter productive approach, but drinking water helps your body flush the excess of salt, ultimately resulting in less fluid retention.

As far as your diet goes, you should also see that you are getting the right amount of vitamins, particularly vitamin B.

If the swelling due to water retention is primarily in your legs, you should avoid standing for long periods of time. Whenever you can, you should also elevate your legs so as to improve circulation. If these measures do not work, you should consult your doctor, as water retention can sometimes be a sign of a serious problem. Good luck. (03/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

Get herbs, or the below:

Water retention may sound like a simple enough problem to remedy - just take a diuretic to eliminate the excess water. But water retention can be a symptom of a serious heart or kidney problem. And leaky capillary walls, malnutrition, bacterial toxins and hormone changes such as PMS can also be the cause of this problem. If your body is retaining water, be sure to see a doctor and find out exactly what is causing this problem before trying to treat it.

If a simple diuretic will solve your problem, dandelion and corn silk are two of the best choices - these are some of the safest diuretics ever to grow in the wild. And they also counter some of the negative effects of commercial diuretics. Most pharmaceutical diuretics pull potassium out of the body, creating a harmful imbalance that requires you to take potassium supplements. But dandelion and corn silk contain high amounts of potassium and even help the body retain this important mineral. Studies have shown that dandelion is as effective as the often-prescribed diuretic drug Frusemide. If you want to collect your own dandelion leaves and roots and corn silk, go right ahead. Just make sure they have not been sprayed with pesticides!

Diuretic Tea:

• 1 quart boiling water
  • 2 teaspoons dandelion root
  • 1/2 teaspoon each nettle leaf, oat straw, fennel seed and corn silk

Pour boiling water over herbs, then steep in a covered container for 20 minutes. Strain herbs. Drink 1 or 2 cups as needed. (03/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

Before you try any home remedy, go to a doctor and tell him/her about this symptom. As mentioned up-thread, you could have something serious like kidney or heart trouble (the latter is the #1 killer of women).

Because it's not normal, not being able to handle even small amounts of salt. That was the first sign of my aunt's congestive heart failure, which was diagnosed too late. So please, see a doctor; early treatment is the best treatment. (03/15/2010)

By WildIrish

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

You should see a doctor or nurse practitioner to make sure that high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease are not the cause of your swollen ankles and fingers. I'm not trying to scare you. The doctor can prescribe medication that isn't expensive but will get rid of the excess fluid. Natural is good, but sometimes drugs are the better solution. Good luck. (03/17/2010)

By tennesue

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

I am also not trying to scare you, but please see your doctor! Swelling in those areas are probably not normal and most likely symptoms/warnings of not only possible kidney, high blood pressure or heart problems, but also could be lung problems. Last Winter my ankles kept swelling and I ignored it. Well, in late March I caught a cold and by April 1st I couldn't breathe and was emergency hospitalized. It was Emphysema and those ankles were a warning sign. It's better safe than sorry!

Whether your doctor gives you a clean bill of health or not, drinking your eight glasses of water daily, greatly helps general bloating/swelling because it aids in removing toxins from your body. Good luck to you and don't be a silly, stubborn goose like I was because I almost lost my life being so. :-( (03/18/2010)

By Deeli

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

See your doctor; perhaps it is high blood pressure or a heart condition; my doctor always checks my ankles for swelling - one time I needed a change of blood pressure medicine and that did the trick. (03/18/2010)

By moravice

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

Make an appointment with your health care provider immediately. Fluid retention's cause isn't something that can be determined by taking or reading anything.

While you're at the doctor's, ask him or her about eating lots of celery which is a natural diuretic. Just don't put off seeing that doctor for anything. Keep us posted. We're wishing you the best. Julia in Boca Raton, FL (03/18/2010)

By PookaRina

Natural Remedies for Water Retention

I agree to see a doctor, preferably an MD with naturopath leanings. Juniper Berry essential oil and dandelion root are cleansing natural treatments that will remove excess fluids along with toxins. However, if you are having a kidney or liver issue to start with, cleansing said organs too harshly can cause problems, so get a diagnosis first if possible, then operate on what you find out. Good luck! (03/19/2010)

By Gina J.

• Comments

Thanks all of you i surely will take her to see Dr

Natural Remedies for Water Retention
    Well water running a in a sink.
    Removing Rust from Well Water
    Water Softener
    Buying a Water Softener
    Onions growing in the ground.
    Growing Onions
    Homemade Vitamin Water
    Homemade Vitamin Water Recipes
    🎉
    🎄