Niagara Falls Frugal Travel Guide

A US and Canadian shared natural resource, these beautiful water falls are a favorite vacation destination. This page is a Niagra Falls frugal travel guide.

March 10, 2010 Flag

I am finally going to Niagara Falls and the "I Love Lucy" museum. I am 47 and this is where I have always wanted to go. I know it is kitch and touristy, anyway got any ideas or tips on cheap eating? Cheaper anything would be appreciated. I figure we will take drinks and dry cereal, etc.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was disappointed at the "Bollywood" atmosphere of the American side. Also the poverty of the town of Buffalo in general. We stayed on the Canadian side. If you go off season things are cheaper and the view of the falls is much better from that side. I am sure you want to at least get your money's worth and I think the Canadian side will do you better.

Best Answer

Definitely go to the Canadian side, and do go before Labor Day--that's when they shut down the amount of water going over the Falls. As you stand by the railing, you can feel the pressure of the water hitting your chest and it makes a much larger impact. After Labor Day, you fail to get the same sensation. I realize this sounds silly, but experiencing the falls is much more than just seeing a nice view.

On top of the hill, across from the rides is a Dominos Pizza--cheap lunch or dinner. Usually casinos have great food prices, but I never went into the one at the falls to know if theirs are cheap. Personally, I'd start a walking program now, it's the best way to get around the tourist area, which is large, and if you're out of shape can be difficult. On top of the hill, there is the Skylon tower, that you can go up and get a wonderful view of the area--it is worth the price. The IMAX theater is educational-- they give an interesting history of the falls.

We always visit a tourist information center on the way there. They will give you a map of the area, help you plan what you might like to see, give you lots of information, and discount tickets. They even called around to find hotels for us. Definitely plan to drive north of the falls. There is a wonderful town named Niagara on the Lake. Close to it is Fort George.

On the way there (west side of the road) is a great fruit stand/orchard/vinyard where you can buy fresh fruit to eat, gourmet jams and jellies, and homemade sandwiches on crusty french bread and cookies to eat. On the way, you'll also pass the botanical gardens (I believe this is where the butterfly conservatory is) and you can see a magnificent floral clock. On the drive north of the falls, you'll pass a small turn-around on the east side of the road, that you'll want to pull into. It is actually where the Aerocar (trolley that goes over the falls) turns around, and is a nice place to see an unspoiled view of the river, not to mention it is free.

Personally, I like to see the tourist museums--they give an interesting feel to the entire experience. If you decide to ride the Maid-of-the-Mist (you really should), do it exactly at noon. The boats are usually packed, but the one at noon is half empty, allowing you to walk around freely. I like to go straight to the front as soon as I get on--you get the best view by far. You will get soaked.

The Journey behind the falls is also nice, but don't be in a hurry. You can get some great pictures down on the platform near the base of the falls. Do be prepared to get wet. Driving south on the Niagara River Parkway, you will see an old barge that got stuck on the rocks and has been sitting there for years. If it ever breaks loose, it will probably go over the falls. You also will see the old water power plants. See as much and do as much as you possibly can, or you'll regret it. This is a wonderful place to go. It absolutely leaves one in awe. Wish I was joining you.

My huband and I visit Niagara every year. The Flying Saucer Restaurant has a .99 breakfast but you have to get there before 9:00 am but I will check with him for sure. It is really cheap. Try to stay away from any restaurants on Clifton Hill, the main attraction area, because cost is high for meals. They are good meals but very expensive. Check online because I see all the time coupons for Niagara falls. I will get some more ideas for you and message you back. I am drawing a blank but my husband is the EXPERT on this. There are plenty of nice nature trails too if you are interested in that type of thing. One thing I may suggest is the White Water Walk. Depending on what time of the year you are going, I don't know if it is only a summer thing. I hope you enjoyed this help and I will get back to you soon.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

January 11, 2011 Flag

My husband and I visited Niagara Falls in September, 2010. This photo was taken from the closest point one can stand at the Journey Behind the Falls attraction in Niagara, Ontario, Canada. It was tremendous! The roar, the mist, the sight of millions of gallons of water spilling over that edge where you can almost reach out and touch the flow.

By Leslie

Horseshoe Falls (Niagara, Ontario, Canada)

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

I have been to the Falls (on the Canadian side) at least a dozen times since I was in my teens (I'm now 53), and I never cease to be amazed at this grand force of Mother Nature!

I posted this photo in December 2010. The Horseshoe Falls are on the other side of the building:

http://www.thri  4222804.tip.html

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

February 7, 2012 Flag

This picture was taken at Niagara Falls.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Niagara Falls

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

That is so amazing! This is a very beautiful picture!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 9, 2010 Flag

I took this photo in late October of the American Falls and the Rainbow Bridge in the distance. It was taken from the walkway bridge over the Parkway that goes between Table Rock, and where the Incline Railway is located.

By Maryeileen

Niagara Falls (Canada)

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Great shot, I know the exact spot you were standing. I was there about 2 weeks before you!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

April 16, 2012 Flag

Rainbow Over the Falls! (Niagara Falls, NY)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

We celebrated 37 years of marriage by going to Niagara Falls, NY. It was a beautiful sunny day and we took a picture of the fall. We visit this site every year on "our" day. We were amazed at the two rainbows!

November 11, 2010 Flag

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

These beautiful pictures were taken when my daughter Lisa and my grandbaby Emma Grace went to the park with me, right in our own neighborhood. We went to have Emmy frolic in the leaves, look at the beautiful falls, foliage and ducks. It was a wonderful time for all us.

March 12, 2012 Flag

Wildlife: Gull (Niagara Falls, Canada)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Caught a picture of this gull at Niagara Falls.

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides North AmericaMarch 24, 2013
Shower
Preventing Slips and Falls in a Bathtub and Shower
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 5:31:27 AM on 10.0.0.134 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.