Nursing Home Gift Ideas

It is nice to give your friends and loved ones of all ages useful gifts. This guide contains nursing home gift ideas.

Elderly man receiving a birthday gift
Filter Sort

Tip: The Best Present Is To Be Present

By HEATHER KNEEAND 15 14

I live in Senior Housing/low income housing. I do not have a car nor do a lot of the people that live here. Although we have a marvelous Council On Aging that has a bus for different trips there are still places that we are unable to go.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Christmas Gifts For Seniors

By April 187 452

We all have someone on our gift list who is hard to shop for because they already have it all, or have limited space, such as someone in a nursing home or assisted living home.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Gifts for Elderly Friends

It is not easy to find a gift for elderly friends and relatives. I give them stationary, a ball point pen and stamps. By Jean Sterling

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gift Ideas for Widowed Grandpa

By april jones 5 9

My grandpa just lost his wife (my grandma) three months ago. I don't know what to get him for Christmas now. When my grandma was alive I usually got them a gift card to go out to dinner somewhere nice. Any ideas of what to get him would be appreciated. Thank you.

April from Henderson

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

Give him the same gift card and make a cute note saying you will be his date when he uses it. He will be thrilled, I imagine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Gift Bags for Seniors

By marilyn 8 2

My sister-cousins and I make gifts bags for the Senior nursing home every Christmas and the seniors love these. We use items from freebies and small items we collect on sale, off-season, or after a holiday.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Nursing Home Gift Ideas

By Kim 1

I need gift ideas for an invalid nursing home resident.

Kim from Oak Hill, WV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By G. Lomax 5 8 Flag

The majority of nursing home residents can no longer see well enough to read, but I found one gift that delights them all. Visiting an antique store during a trip once, I found old magazines from the 40's and 50's and even as early as the 1920's. I bought a stack of them for my Mom, who is also a resident, and she was completely delighted. She can't see well enough to read, but looking at all the old ads took her back to a time of great happiness in her life. She enjoyed many hours of happiness looking through those old magazines.

I have just begun a nursing home visitation program near my home doing room to room visits. I am hoping to find craft instructions to make silk flower corsages for the ladies with pins they cannot harm themselves with. I think that will be a big hit as well.

Visiting with the elderly is highly rewarding and though you go in thinking you will bless them, often is it you who leaves feeling blessed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gift for Patients at Nursing Home

By melissa 1

I really need input ASAP. I work at a nursing home and I really want to make the holidays extra special for all. Not everyone has family so not everyone gets a Christmas gift. I want to get something for everyone. I was going to get a big screen T.V. but the nursing home just bought one. I will be raising the money and I will guess an amount around $800-$900. Please give any ideas. I am looking for one big gift if possible but any input would be great. Thank you! Melissa

Melissa from PDC, Wisconsin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By bubbly 1 Flag

I work in a nursing home and they all fight for the news paper. We have a copy of 3 different local papers, but it seems they are never enough. A years subscription to local papers will be used every day of the year. Better yet, spend some time there every week and discuss the news too! Company is 1st on everyones list.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas

By GrandmaS 1 1

Our Ladies' Auxiliary likes to make little baskets for the Veterans in our nursing homes and have run out of ideas for items. Most of the Vets cannot have candy and lots are in bed most of the time. I am looking for suggestions of small things for them, no sharp objects like pins allowed. All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

By GrandmaS from MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By jill 9 45 Flag

My mom is in a nursing home and they love magazines, books, newspapers and videos. I am taking a bunch of costume jewelry to the ladies. I also take my dogs to visit them and they love that more than anything. She is in a brain unit (dementia, Alzheimer's) and my dogs have gotten some of them that never speak to talk to us. How about arranging for some animal visits. My son takes his guitar and plays music for them. It isn't about things you can give them but things they might enjoy. And take a camera and share pictures on your next visit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 45 303 Flag

We do Christmas baskets every year for our nursing homes. We put lotions, combs, socks, toothbrushes/paste, fruit, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Father's Day Gift Ideas for Nursing Home Residents

By Andrea 1

I work in a nursing home, and I'm in charge of Father's Day gifts this year (for 20 men). I was thinking of gift bags of some sort, but not sure. Any suggestions?

By Andrea from Wildwood, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By sbuttons67 5 7 Flag

Last year money was tight, so instead of buying a fathers day gift for my hubby, I printed off 'certificates', from the children. Some were promises from the children; clean out the rabbit cage, wash the car, from me I gave him 'me make a meal of your choosing'... the list is endless. We even had one for the children to be quiet whilst he enjoyed a whole episode of his favourite programme in peace!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making a Craft to Give to Patients in a Nursing Home

My group, PT Force, is visiting a nursing home. I want to make a craft for them, but I'm "baffled". What should I make?

By Matthew G. from Reseda, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Suntydt 75 877 Flag

Is this something you want to make for the residents or something you want to help the residents make?

My first thought was a hand fan. You could use paper plates and popsickle sticks (tongue depressors are larger and would be easier for them to handle) and staple them together or glue them together. Decorate the plates before adding the handle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Valentine's Day Gifts For Nursing Home

By Sylvia 1

My church group always takes some kind of remembrance to the nursing home locally for Valentine's Day. Can someone give me some ideas that are not too costly. We need about 25 items to take to the home.

Thanks,
Sylvia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How about really frilly, old-fashioned cards with doilies, glitter, lace, whatever you have on hand. Don't do food due to special diets. A scented lotion or hand cream would be nice for the ladies since "hospital issue" is yucky if you can afford that. Check the dollar stores for some2/$1 tubes of pretty fragrances. Or how about plants in pots you decorate that residents can care for.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceSeptember 4, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:26:23 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings