Browsing: Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Drywall can be uneven after wallpaper is removed and need some smoothing. This guide is about painting after removing wallpaper.

Two women removing wallpaper.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2015 Flag

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the wall after wallpaper removal and before painting? Is a paint with primer in it acceptable? The drywall is 10 yrs old and was previously primed and painted.

By Cheri W. from Fond du Lac, WI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my limited experience, if the wall was previously primed and painted there is no need to prime it again after you remove all the wallpaper and glue residue. The only time you need to prime a previously painted wall is if you are trying to cover a colour that is very dark or strong with a lighter colour. Red walls always need to be primed unless you are repainting them red. A very dark brown or grey, for example, would likely require priming if the new coat was off-white.

January 16, 2015 Flag

Once you remove wall paper what do you have to do?

By Rena

I had to spray a texture to match other walls. At big box stores- just a can of texture spray. Then painted. Good luck!

April 4, 2005 Flag

I recently used the fabric softener method to remove old wallpaper and it worked wonderfully. What steps do I have to take if I want to paint the room? Do I need to prime the walls? - Sharon

Yes...prime the walls. I was surprised when I took my wallpaper off in the kitchen and dining room. It had been put directly on the sheetrock wothout a primer, so when we took it off the top layer of the sheetrock came off with it. We ended up texturing the wall, sanding and then we were able to paint. Huge mess, but it was worth it all at the end.

What is the method of fabric softner for removing wallpaper would you share this with us please...

Tonya

First of all,make sure the walls are totally free of any wall paper, paste, etc. Then use Kiltz on all the walls, then use primer(to make paint sticks well) then paint. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it is well worth the effort in the long run, been there done it, had to redo it,then learned my lesson, so trying to save you the work, and expense as well. Good luck

I found another awesome way to remove wall paper and border! Using white vinegar and water works like a charm! The paper just peels right off!

Read More Answers...

June 23, 2010 Flag

How do you get a wallpaper border off the wall so you can repaint?

By Glenda from Belleville, IL

I've taken down patches of wall paper using a wet towel ( paper towels, wash rags etc. work as well ). Soak the towel in some water and place it on the wall paper you wish to remove and then press the iron on there until you see steam coming off the towel. Pull away the towel and with a putty knife or old credit card peel away the paper. I know this may take some time depending on the size of the room and the amount of wall paper but it's all I had lying around the house so I had to get creative. Best of luck and if you find an easier way let me know! :)

Some wall paper borders just pull off. I had a neighbor at one time, that was into borders and whenever she saw one that she liked, as long as it was the right type, she would get it and pull the old off to replace it with the new. I have also seen on some decorating shows where they mix fabric softener and water together and spray it on to loosen the wall paper.

I typically use DIF. You mix it with water and then spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes (but not too long) and then peel away. Here's more: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/stripping-wallpaper.shtml

January 24, 2013 Flag

When you go to repaint a bathroom and after you have removed the old wall paper do you have to sand the walls and what do you do with the seam tape that is partially coming off? Do you have to remove the old tape tototally or just put new spackle over it?

Thanks.

By Marie J

I just completed this task...my bathroom walls were smooth after removing the vinyl wall paper (and the paper backing and the glue - took forever - finally started spraying with pure vinegar and it came off super easy). If there is any tape that needs to be reglued or adhered more thoroughly, I'd go ahead and do that. I had one spot that I used a tiny bit of E6000 glue on.

Then I got some spray texture from one of the big box stores (home fixing) and sprayed it on the walls. This will make the paint look better and you don't have to do anything to any imperfections on the wall. Glossy paint will show every dip and dent if left smooth. It was super easy and quick...didn't even worry about overspray - it wiped off the floor and molding real easy. Waited for it to dry then painted over it all. Looks fabulous! Good luck!

March 31, 2011 Flag

My walls are damaged after years of papering. I now want to paint them. Is there an easy way to repair them is it expensive to get them skimmed.

By Helen from Inverness Highland

We renovated an old house with damaged walls. As we could not get them smooth enough to look good with ordinary paint, we used a sand paint. It did an amazing "cover up" job. Of course you do have to get the old paper and paste off first, as with any paint.

October 16, 2006 Flag

Has anyone had the primer peel off with the wallpaper leaving spots of bare sheetrock? How do you get it smooth again in order to paint? Is it safe to sand and risk ripping the sheetrock paper? I really don't want to use wallpaper again but I think thats the only way to get a smooth look otherwise. Re-sheetrock...help?

Tina from New City, NY

You'll just need to patch it with some mud, smooth it out and lightly sand it before painting. Pretty much like filling in holes from nails but with a little more detailing. If you don't the defect will show through and leave an ugly mark on your wall! You can find the patching material at WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot and its not hard to do at all.

That is awesome

I have another trick for removing wall paper. After perforating it try (if you have one) steaming it with a shark steamer. It is really easy and works like a charm.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 18, 2013
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:35:24 PM on 10.0.0.69 in 994 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.