Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Category Painting
Drywall can be uneven after wallpaper is removed and need some smoothing. This guide is about painting after removing wallpaper.

Wall prepped for painting after removing wallpaper.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Once the wallpaper has been removed the wall will need cleaning, repair if necessary, and prep before painting. This is a guide about preparing a wall for paint after removing wallpaper.

I've removed wallpaper from drywall and am getting ready to texture. Is there any treatment I need to do before I texture?

Don't think this posted...

I hope you have found the spray on texture. That's all you need...easy peasy! At Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement store. Good luck

Once you remove wall paper what do you have to do?

By Rena

I had to spray a texture to match other walls. At big box stores- just a can of texture spray. Then painted. Good luck!

Size and texture a wall after removing wallpaper?

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the wall after wallpaper removal and before painting? Is a paint with primer in it acceptable? The drywall is 10 yrs old and was previously primed and painted.

By Cheri W. from Fond du Lac, WI

In my limited experience, if the wall was previously primed and painted there is no need to prime it again after you remove all the wallpaper and glue residue. The only time you need to prime a previously painted wall is if you are trying to cover a colour that is very dark or strong with a lighter colour. Red walls always need to be primed unless you are repainting them red. A very dark brown or grey, for example, would likely require priming if the new coat was off-white.

I recently used the fabric softener method to remove old wallpaper and it worked wonderfully. What steps do I have to take if I want to paint the room? Do I need to prime the walls? - Sharon

What is the method of fabric softner for removing wallpaper would you share this with us please...

Tonya

First of all,make sure the walls are totally free of any wall paper, paste, etc. Then use Kiltz on all the walls, then use primer(to make paint sticks well) then paint. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it is well worth the effort in the long run, been there done it, had to redo it,then learned my lesson, so trying to save you the work, and expense as well. Good luck

I found another awesome way to remove wall paper and border! Using white vinegar and water works like a charm! The paper just peels right off!

How do you get a wallpaper border off the wall so you can repaint?

By Glenda from Belleville, IL

I've taken down patches of wall paper using a wet towel ( paper towels, wash rags etc. work as well ). Soak the towel in some water and place it on the wall paper you wish to remove and then press the iron on there until you see steam coming off the towel. Pull away the towel and with a putty knife or old credit card peel away the paper. I know this may take some time depending on the size of the room and the amount of wall paper but it's all I had lying around the house so I had to get creative. Best of luck and if you find an easier way let me know! :)

Some wall paper borders just pull off. I had a neighbor at one time, that was into borders and whenever she saw one that she liked, as long as it was the right type, she would get it and pull the old off to replace it with the new. I have also seen on some decorating shows where they mix fabric softener and water together and spray it on to loosen the wall paper.

I typically use DIF. You mix it with water and then spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes (but not too long) and then peel away. Here's more: http://www.oldh  -wallpaper.shtml

When you go to repaint a bathroom and after you have removed the old wall paper do you have to sand the walls and what do you do with the seam tape that is partially coming off? Do you have to remove the old tape tototally or just put new spackle over it?

Thanks.

By Marie J

I just completed this task...my bathroom walls were smooth after removing the vinyl wall paper (and the paper backing and the glue - took forever - finally started spraying with pure vinegar and it came off super easy). If there is any tape that needs to be reglued or adhered more thoroughly, I'd go ahead and do that. I had one spot that I used a tiny bit of E6000 glue on.

Then I got some spray texture from one of the big box stores (home fixing) and sprayed it on the walls. This will make the paint look better and you don't have to do anything to any imperfections on the wall. Glossy paint will show every dip and dent if left smooth. It was super easy and quick...didn't even worry about overspray - it wiped off the floor and molding real easy. Waited for it to dry then painted over it all. Looks fabulous! Good luck!

My walls are damaged after years of papering. I now want to paint them. Is there an easy way to repair them is it expensive to get them skimmed.

By Helen from Inverness Highland

We renovated an old house with damaged walls. As we could not get them smooth enough to look good with ordinary paint, we used a sand paint. It did an amazing "cover up" job. Of course you do have to get the old paper and paste off first, as with any paint.

Has anyone had the primer peel off with the wallpaper leaving spots of bare sheetrock? How do you get it smooth again in order to paint? Is it safe to sand and risk ripping the sheetrock paper? I really don't want to use wallpaper again but I think thats the only way to get a smooth look otherwise. Re-sheetrock...help?

Tina from New City, NY

You'll just need to patch it with some mud, smooth it out and lightly sand it before painting. Pretty much like filling in holes from nails but with a little more detailing. If you don't the defect will show through and leave an ugly mark on your wall! You can find the patching material at WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot and its not hard to do at all.

That is awesome

I have another trick for removing wall paper. After perforating it try (if you have one) steaming it with a shark steamer. It is really easy and works like a charm.

How do I repaint a wall after removing plastic wallpaper?

By Vincent from Dublin, Ireland

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

You need to be sure all glue is off the walls and that the surface is smooth. You can do this by lightly sanding the walls, then wiping them down with a damp cloth. After the walls are dry, you will need to prime then paint them or you could buy one of the new primer and paint combos. (10/20/2010)

By PDG

I removed the wallpaper and I want to use Magnolia to paint the wall. What can I do first? What kind of paint can I use after having removed the wall paper?

By Antonio

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I would lightly sand the walls to make sure all the wallpaper glue is off them, then depending on condition of the wall, you may want to prime them first. Then apply the paint. It should come out good and the primer will insure your paint goes on smoothly and evenly. Good luck. (05/18/2010)

By Amy3e

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Also make sure you've taken off all the thin white paper that was on the back of the wallpaper. It's a pain, but it can mess up your paint job if it's still on there. Use a good primer and a good paint (from a paint store, even though it costs more it will last longer). (05/18/2010)

By Allison5

I have taken down wallpaper and patched the walls, but when I went to paint the wall, it bubbled up in spots. What's the problem?

Sharon

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Give the wall area a good 'sanding' with 000 grit or steel wool. Then wipe off the residue. You could also have a moisture build up there for bubbling. Moisture and paint do not mix. We have an exterior issue with paint not staying on the house due to moisture in the new wood from the get go. (12/01/2008)

By TandT Grandma

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I don't know what the problem could be, but you might try texturizing the walls before you paint. You can find some relatively inexpensive spray-on texture that dries pretty quickly, and it may then give the paint something to stick to. We got our texture product at Walmart. (12/01/2008)

By Kristen

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Wash the glue residue off the walls with TSP. (12/02/2008)

By PICO

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

If the patches were not completely dry, you will get bubbles. (12/02/2008)

By Beth

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Sharon, normally when you take down wall paper, you scrub the walls down with tsp (trisodium phosphate, purchased @ hardware store) and rinse with clear water and sponge until all the paste is off. Let dry and paint. I am not sure what you meant by patching. Hope this helps. (12/03/2008)

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I just removed three layers of wallpaper - the top one was the textured wallpaper and it was painted. I used a combination of my old standby ammonia and hot water and then also tried the newer suggestion of fabric softener. The combination seemed to work well - the fabric softener on the old vinyl type wallpaper and the ammonia on the backing.

I then TSPd the wall with a scotch brite scrubbing pad and rinsed it but noticed I still had a slight film of something, so I went over everything again with a mixture of white vinegar and hot water. Since this is the first time I have used fabric softener, could this be the cause of what appears to be a film of some kind? I plan to start painting tomorrow but don't want my paint to "alligator." (01/26/2009)

By Marilyn K.

After removing wallpaper what is the next step before painting the wall?

Suzette from Linden, NJ

Answers:

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Suzette, I cannot stress this enough. Wash the walls, then wash them again. Then, wash them again. I am only speaking from experience. I stripped off wallpaper from my dining room and washed the walls. Then, I painted them. Within two weeks the paint was peeling. I hadn't washed off all the wallpaper paste like I thought I had. It is a mess to deal with after the fact. Do it right the first time. (12/07/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

I can not agree more with Paula! AND, if you will add a cup of regular white vinegar, to a pail of warm water, it will help to dissolve the old paste, left on the wall. Like Paula says...the paint will peel off, IF paste is left on the wall! (12/11/2006)

By Sharon

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Clean the walls really good, spackle any areas that are cracked let dry sand wipe off and then paint (12/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas