Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Drywall can be uneven after wallpaper is removed and need some smoothing. This guide is about painting after removing wallpaper.

Two women removing wallpaper.
Filter Sort

Question: Removed the Old Wallpaper, Now What?

I recently used the fabric softener method to remove old wallpaper and it worked wonderfully. What steps do I have to take if I want to paint the room? Do I need to prime the walls? - Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I found another awesome way to remove wall paper and border! Using white vinegar and water works like a charm! The paper just peels right off!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Wallpaper Border Before Painting

By glenda dunnigan 6

How do you get a wallpaper border off the wall so you can repaint?

By Glenda from Belleville, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Allison 460 Flag

I typically use DIF. You mix it with water and then spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes (but not too long) and then peel away. Here's more: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/stripping-wallpaper.shtml

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making Sheetrock Smooth for Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Has anyone had the primer peel off with the wallpaper leaving spots of bare sheetrock? How do you get it smooth again in order to paint? Is it safe to sand and risk ripping the sheetrock paper? I really don't want to use wallpaper again but I think thats the only way to get a smooth look otherwise. Re-sheetrock...help?

Tina from New City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That is awesome

I have another trick for removing wall paper. After perforating it try (if you have one) steaming it with a shark steamer. It is really easy and works like a charm.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting After Wallpaper Removal

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the wall after wallpaper removal and before painting? Is a paint with primer in it acceptable? The drywall is 10 yrs old and was previously primed and painted.

By Cheri W. from Fond du Lac, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

In my limited experience, if the wall was previously primed and painted there is no need to prime it again after you remove all the wallpaper and glue residue. The only time you need to prime a previously painted wall is if you are trying to cover a colour that is very dark or strong with a lighter colour. Red walls always need to be primed unless you are repainting them red. A very dark brown or grey, for example, would likely require priming if the new coat was off-white.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting After Taking Down Wallpaper

Once you remove wall paper what do you have to do?

By Rena

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda Lou Whitfield F. 6 31 Flag

I had to spray a texture to match other walls. At big box stores- just a can of texture spray. Then painted. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting a Wall After Removing Wallpaper

When you go to repaint a bathroom and after you have removed the old wall paper do you have to sand the walls and what do you do with the seam tape that is partially coming off? Do you have to remove the old tape tototally or just put new spackle over it?

Thanks.

By Marie J

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda 45 303 Flag

I just completed this task...my bathroom walls were smooth after removing the vinyl wall paper (and the paper backing and the glue - took forever - finally started spraying with pure vinegar and it came off super easy). If there is any tape that needs to be reglued or adhered more thoroughly, I'd go ahead and do that. I had one spot that I used a tiny bit of E6000 glue on.

Then I got some spray texture from one of the big box stores (home fixing) and sprayed it on the walls. This will make the paint look better and you don't have to do anything to any imperfections on the wall. Glossy paint will show every dip and dent if left smooth. It was super easy and quick...didn't even worry about overspray - it wiped off the floor and molding real easy. Waited for it to dry then painted over it all. Looks fabulous! Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting After Removing Wallpaper

By helen campbell 2

My walls are damaged after years of papering. I now want to paint them. Is there an easy way to repair them is it expensive to get them skimmed.

By Helen from Inverness Highland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mary 3 10 Flag

We renovated an old house with damaged walls. As we could not get them smooth enough to look good with ordinary paint, we used a sand paint. It did an amazing "cover up" job. Of course you do have to get the old paper and paste off first, as with any paint.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 18, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:31:23 AM on 10.0.2.196 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings