Browsing: Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting After Removing Wallpaper

Drywall can be uneven after wallpaper is removed and need some smoothing. This guide is about painting after removing wallpaper.

Two women removing wallpaper.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 25, 2016 Flag

I've removed wallpaper from drywall and am getting ready to texture. Is there any treatment I need to do before I texture?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't think this posted...

I hope you have found the spray on texture. That's all you need...easy peasy! At Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement store. Good luck

January 16, 2015 Flag

Once you remove wall paper what do you have to do?

By Rena

I had to spray a texture to match other walls. At big box stores- just a can of texture spray. Then painted. Good luck!

Size and texture a wall after removing wallpaper?

January 25, 2011 Flag

Wall prepped for painting after removing wallpaper.When removing the wallpaper the old paint also came off in many areas. Can I feather, prime, and use flat paint to get a better look?

By Bill from MI

If by 'feather' you mean a light sanding to even everything out before priming and painting then the answer is yes. I suppose if you mean texturing, well, that answer would be yes too. Be sure the rest of those little flakes of remaining wallpaper are gone before priming. ;-)

I agree with removing paper with vinegar. Than wash the walls and paint them with KILZ. Use two coats of the KILZ and than add the desire paint to your walls. Have Fun.

I just did this exact thing. I sanded by hand all the drywall to as smooth as a surface as I could get it. You have to treat the drywall as unfinished at this point. I then had to do some seam repairs, so I did that and sanded those down. Then I used a primer called 1-2-3 and did 2 coats of that. Then I painted. It turned out beautifully. Lots of work, but it's wonderful. Good luck.

April 21, 2015 Flag

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the wall after wallpaper removal and before painting? Is a paint with primer in it acceptable? The drywall is 10 yrs old and was previously primed and painted.

By Cheri W. from Fond du Lac, WI

In my limited experience, if the wall was previously primed and painted there is no need to prime it again after you remove all the wallpaper and glue residue. The only time you need to prime a previously painted wall is if you are trying to cover a colour that is very dark or strong with a lighter colour. Red walls always need to be primed unless you are repainting them red. A very dark brown or grey, for example, would likely require priming if the new coat was off-white.

April 4, 2005 Flag

I recently used the fabric softener method to remove old wallpaper and it worked wonderfully. What steps do I have to take if I want to paint the room? Do I need to prime the walls? - Sharon

What is the method of fabric softner for removing wallpaper would you share this with us please...

Tonya

First of all,make sure the walls are totally free of any wall paper, paste, etc. Then use Kiltz on all the walls, then use primer(to make paint sticks well) then paint. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it is well worth the effort in the long run, been there done it, had to redo it,then learned my lesson, so trying to save you the work, and expense as well. Good luck

I found another awesome way to remove wall paper and border! Using white vinegar and water works like a charm! The paper just peels right off!

You used killzs and then said use primer, I thought killz was primer?

Read More Answers...

June 23, 2010 Flag

How do you get a wallpaper border off the wall so you can repaint?

By Glenda from Belleville, IL

I've taken down patches of wall paper using a wet towel ( paper towels, wash rags etc. work as well ). Soak the towel in some water and place it on the wall paper you wish to remove and then press the iron on there until you see steam coming off the towel. Pull away the towel and with a putty knife or old credit card peel away the paper. I know this may take some time depending on the size of the room and the amount of wall paper but it's all I had lying around the house so I had to get creative. Best of luck and if you find an easier way let me know! :)

Some wall paper borders just pull off. I had a neighbor at one time, that was into borders and whenever she saw one that she liked, as long as it was the right type, she would get it and pull the old off to replace it with the new. I have also seen on some decorating shows where they mix fabric softener and water together and spray it on to loosen the wall paper.

I typically use DIF. You mix it with water and then spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes (but not too long) and then peel away. Here's more: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/stripping-wallpaper.shtml

January 24, 2013 Flag

When you go to repaint a bathroom and after you have removed the old wall paper do you have to sand the walls and what do you do with the seam tape that is partially coming off? Do you have to remove the old tape tototally or just put new spackle over it?

Thanks.

By Marie J

I just completed this task...my bathroom walls were smooth after removing the vinyl wall paper (and the paper backing and the glue - took forever - finally started spraying with pure vinegar and it came off super easy). If there is any tape that needs to be reglued or adhered more thoroughly, I'd go ahead and do that. I had one spot that I used a tiny bit of E6000 glue on.

Then I got some spray texture from one of the big box stores (home fixing) and sprayed it on the walls. This will make the paint look better and you don't have to do anything to any imperfections on the wall. Glossy paint will show every dip and dent if left smooth. It was super easy and quick...didn't even worry about overspray - it wiped off the floor and molding real easy. Waited for it to dry then painted over it all. Looks fabulous! Good luck!

March 31, 2011 Flag

My walls are damaged after years of papering. I now want to paint them. Is there an easy way to repair them is it expensive to get them skimmed.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 18, 2013
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:45:40 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.