Removed the Old Wallpaper, Now What?

I recently used the fabric softener method to remove old wallpaper and it worked wonderfully. What steps do I have to take if I want to paint the room? Do I need to prime the walls? - Sharon

By annie (Guest Post)

Yes by all means prime them. I normally give it two coats of primer. You'll be happy with the results.

By Joanne (Guest Post)

Clean your walls with TSP. Your can find it at a hardware store. It's sort of like a primer too.

What is the fabric softner method for removing wallpaper? I have never heard of it. Appreciate your help.

Toehead

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)

Yes...prime the walls. I was surprised when I took my wallpaper off in the kitchen and dining room. It had been put directly on the sheetrock wothout a primer, so when we took it off the top layer of the sheetrock came off with it.

We ended up texturing the wall, sanding and then we were able to paint. Huge mess, but it was worth it all at the end.

What is the method of fabric softner for removing wallpaper would you share this with us please...
Tonya

Anonymous

Fabric softener was the best and easiest way to remove wallpaper. Use name brand only fabric softener. One cup softener to 32 oz hot water. Spray on wallpaper backing and leave on 20 minutes. Will come right off.

First of all,make sure the walls are totally free of any wall paper, paste, etc. Then use Kiltz on all the walls, then use primer(to make paint sticks well) then paint. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it is well worth the effort in the long run, been there done it, had to redo it,then learned my lesson, so trying to save you the work, and expense as well. Good luck

By Cris - NC (Guest Post)

I found another awesome way to remove wall paper and border! Using white vinegar and water works like a charm! The paper just peels right off!

Anonymous

You used killzs and then said use primer, I thought killz was primer?