Cleaning Wallpaper

Category Walls
It may be necessary to clean your wallpaper periodically. Properly cleaning your wallpaper will keep it looking nice for many years. This is a guide about cleaning wallpaper.

How do you get black marks off wall paper?

By Sandra4397 from Omaha, NE

Answers

Can you give an idea of original cause? Try lifting with scotch tape pressed down on the spot, then lift off, then try to 'clean' with wadded up ball of white bread, also pressed and lifted. If pencil, use eraser after these steps.

Along the lines of what PIKKA said, I've seen on a TV show where they rolled/balled up a piece of white bread and rubbed that on a mark like an eraser. I've also seen them use regular eraser.

I see everyones' answers for removing permanent marker off painted walls. Does anyone know how to remove permanent marker off wallpapered walls without having to replace the wallpaper? The wallpaper no longer exists in any of the local stores.

Answers

There is a product called Spot Shot. It worked when my daughter wrote on our car seats with a sharpie. I would try it in an inconspicuous place to make sure that it doesn't damage the wallpaper.

Will this hurt my washable wallpaper at all? I put in a 1/2 cup of it to a small container of hot water, a small Sun Oxygen tub size. I want to know if it will hurt the paper or the linoleum floor as it drips on it. It looks cleaner by the way!

By Marie W.

Answers

I don't think it will hurt either one. It is a very mild cleaner, and may even make your floor look better! It may leave a little film on the floor, so that you may have to wipe up more than if it was just water only, but it won't hurt anything.
Glad your walls look better~!

How do I clean non vinyl wallpaper? My Mom used to buy wallpaper cleaner in a can, we used it like playdough to clean walls. Any ideas?

By Norma from western NY

Answers

I've heard rubbing gently with bread works but haven't tried it.
Marg from England.

I am looking for old fashioned wall paper cleaner, not vinyl paper cleaner.

By Norma from western NY

Answers

I've heard of using light colored children's modeling dough.

As for the cleaning dough, maybe fire restoration people might have something. They have a hand help "dry cleaner" for removing smoke. Also draftsmen have a bag filled with eraser shavings to take of smudges.

I'm assuming you've used the new new Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I have mixed feelings about it.

Have your tried cleaning with borax? Sprinkle some on a sponge?

Finally have you tried 4 ounces of TSP and 8 ounces ammonia to a gallon of warm water?? Pretty heavy duty cleaner. Rinse of course.
good luck.

I have just papered our sitting room with a black leather affected wall paper. There is wallpaper paste on the paper at the joints. I have tried to remove it with a lukewarm cloth. Can you help?

By Janet

How can I remove dried on wallpaper paste from my newly papered walls, without damaging the paper?

By Jacky H from Devon

How do I get white film off of wall paper?

By Uma

My wallpaper is in good shape, but, there is a lot of smoke film on it. How do I clean this without destroying the paper?

Maddy

Answers:

Cleaning Wallpaper

You can paint over it, or try hiring someone to paint it for you. (02/06/2005)

By Destiny Prince

Cleaning Wallpaper

Try using TSP, this is very inexpensive and works great! Test in small area first for fading. I strongly advise against painting over wallpaper! TSP should be found at your local .99 cent store.
(02/06/2005)

By tiki100700