Paying Child Support

Child support is an ongoing periodic payment ordered by the court for the financial benefit of children. It is typically paid by the absent or noncustodial parent. This is a guide about paying child support.

Win the war in the end! Pay your child support. Non custodial parents: when your children are grown they will respect you so much more if they know you paid your part to get them raised.

If you are married to someone that owes child support, make it your responsibility to see that your step children are taken care of financially. If you owe back child support that means the custodial parent has given you a loan, pay them back.

Of course, the custodial parent is not spending the money exactly like you would spend it and they might appear to have more than you but if you pay you can ultimately hold your head up and your place as their parent (notice this is non gender). If your circumstances have changed since your order, file the necessary paperwork and have your child support revised (you can do this without an attorney), but do you part!

By notwrong

And the Moon is made out of cheese. You have obviously never been on the other end of a vindictive ex who has every evil intention and has lied to the FOC and gets away with it. My case has been alive for just over 25 years and my kids are adults, married and have children of their own and I am still paying "reimbursement". But yet my ex acts like the case started yesterday. I have lost everything and was even homeless for a while. I have filed so many motions with the FOC and have lost every single one of them. My latest motion was Dec of 2015 where I asked to have my payments lowered because I am now disabled and on a fixed income. I attached everything I have from social security disability and my monthly expenses. The FOC referee said that she didn't believe me and therefore I lost again. I had letters written to the FOC from social security, my apt manager, and my bills, but it still wasn't good enough. This entire process has made me see clearly that it does not work and all the FOC cares about is the bottom line... their black and white figures. Now the FOC is going to take $750 of my $1079 monthly disability check. Now you tell me, can anyone live on $329 a month? Things are not always a clean cut as you have made them out to be. You either work for the FOC or you have no clue what it is like to this extent, or you work for the FOC and like everyone else there, you don't care. Change the ending of your post "By notwrong" to "By don't have a clue".

My husband and I pay child support for our 2 kids who family has. He just got on SSI and I still work. Do I still have to pay child support since he receives SSI and family has guardianship of them?

I am sure you will still have to pay child support but you may be able to get it reduced since SSI may not be included in your available income. Only a court order can change this and you will most likely need an attorney to get this done.

Most people who respond to your question will probably state that since these children are your responsibility you should continue to pay whatever support was ordered. Maybe you can still pay that amount - maybe not - only you and your husband can decide what steps to take.

Only the judge can determine, stop or start child support. But, I can tell you from a coworkers experience, just don't quit paying it--the law can serve you for it-also, I know of a person who had their SSI garnished for past child support. So, pay it until the court tells you, in writing otherwise.

These are your children. You have to support them as best you can. Only the court can reduce the support if they agree with you that circumstances have changed.

I know that some Social Security benefits can be garnished for different reasons but SSI cannot. Here is a quote from SS web site:

If you receive SSI, it cannot be taken to pay even child support, student loan payments, or unpaid taxes.

Many people confuse SSI and SSDI and these are entirely different programs. SSDI is based on a persons work credits and can be garnished but SSI can be awarded without work credits and cannot be garnished.

Here is a site that explains the difference:

http://www.disa  om/page5-13.html

The basic answer to your question is still the same. Your support payment can only be changed by the court and your current income will be taken into consideration but may or may not include your husband's SSI. Your wages may be garnished but SSI benefits cannot.

I receive SS disability. I remarried in 2015. We have a marriage contract. Can my husband's ex take him back to court for more child support and include my SS disability as additional income?

Now would be a good time to talk to a lawyer, don't you think?

Anonymous

A lawyer is the smartest move to make. Its usually cheapest in the end.

Anonymous

I believe you should talk to a professional too. Typically when one remarries, the new spouses income is counted.

It depends on your state laws. See an attorney.

Would I be asked to pay child support if I make more money than my ex? However, I have my son 84% of the time.

An answer would depend on several legal factors that you have not presented here: federal & state rules, the particulars of the current child support order, etc. You should contact your attorney and/or the child support agency for an answer.

I adopted 2 kids ages 8-10. My wife left and I now pay child support. Can I get my child support lowered, as she collects survivor benefits for both children in New Brunswick, Canada?

My first response is no, as you did adopt the children. I strongly suggest you discuss your question with an attorney who specializes in child support laws in the US and in other countries. It may be that the your ex-wife conveniently did not tell the Canadian agency provider of the survivor benefits that you adopted the children and are paying child support.

However, again, even if Canada stops paying survivor benefits, you will still be required to provide child support.

Addendum-Child support amounts can be changed if your income has changed or you have had significant medical, etc., expenses. I suggest you discuss your options with an attorney experienced in child support laws.

How can I get off paying child support? I only receive $800 dollars after they take it out. I can hardly pay my bills.

By Elbert from Lake Worth, FL

I have a hunch that won't happen until your youngest kid reaches age 18. You are just as responsible to support the kids as their mother is. Maybe you should consider down sizing your living situation, get rid of some of your toys, etc. In order to find out the right answer you will have to talk to the Office of Child Support Collection, or whatever it is called where you live. I know people that live off $600-$700.00 a month, so you aren't doing too badly. These are people that have learned how to economize.

How long have you been paying child support?

What are the ages of your children? Your support payments could state "until child reaches 18 OR until child reaches 21 or is self supporting OR until child finishes college. What did you agree to?

Payments may only drop as the oldest child reaches whatever you agreed to.

Did you try to "fight" paying this amount when your divorce was in progress?

Has your income changed? Up or down?

Have your expenses changed? This answer is immaterial as the court does not ususally care - unless it is for medical reason?

How often do your children visit you? Hours, overnight or weekends?

Has your ex-wife's circumstances changed? (may not matter)

Do you also pay alimony?

Does child support also cover health insurance for the children?

All of these (or most) questions will probably need to be answered before asking for a change in your payments.

Usually - child support is based on many things other than just your income - but - the theory is usually - to keep the "family" in the same type of living conditions they were accustomed to.

Maybe you could consult your divorce attorney for advice..

Sorry, Elbert, but you're not getting any sympathy as they're your children too. And your responsibility. Grow a pair and get with the program! How do you think your kids will feel knowing you're trying to duck your obligation? Good example?

Economizing isn't difficult when you set your mind to it. Get a roommate? Cut down on drinking (if you drink). If you smoke, quit. Learn to cook (it's much less costly than eating out). Take on a part-time job (something you really enjoy)?

Good luck!

Are these your children? One assumes so. And if so, why would you not feel it necessary to support them? Has their mother married a millionaire? If you all lived together, what would you do? Toss one out in the street so that you could have more money to spend on whatever-- cable TV, internet, iPhone, cigarettes, beer? I'm sorry, no one on this site is going to sympathize with someone wants to "get off of child support". These are your children, and you should provide for them. Period. If you are left with only $800, ask for advice on how to economize. Many of the people on here will be happy to help you out with tips and ways to stretch your dollars.

My son has paid court ordered child support payments every week for many years, without missing one payment. When it comes to filing his income tax yearly, why is it that he cannot claim his children, or deduct the Monterey payments from his taxes?

By dollyddg

Each state is a bit different. But generally a person must pay at least 51% of the child's living expenses in order to claim them & court ordered support is nowhere near that

Each state is a bit different. But generally a person must pay at least 51% of the child's living expenses in order to claim them & court ordered support is nowhere near that.

Best advice-tell your son to talk to his tax preparer. Different states/different laws . and a little OT, why are you asking-seems like your son needs to be responsible for this and for getting his own answers. If you have a relationship with your grandchildren, you have a relationship with their mom, and you don't want to create a rift there.

Child support payments are never enough to raise a child. Have some sympathy for the Mother of the child unless she's unfit and that's a whole different story.

Child support is taken out of my pay twice a month, but some months I get a extra paycheck and child support is taken from that too, when I have clearly met my obligations. What can I do about this? I would have liked to place that money in my kids savings under me.

Thanks.

By Erin S

Have you verified that your employer doesn't divide the amount of child support into three parts, for the months that you get three checks?

Got talk to Social Security and ask them what is going on.

Hi - if you are paying child support through your local court agency then they may be able to help you. I am not really sure they can change the way money is removed unless you go to a one time payment at the beginning of each month.

I would think that would be an HR issue for the people in payroll

I am a single father; I have 4 children in my life. One of my children is disabled and lives with me. Another one lives with his mom. Then I have twins and they live with their mother as well. OK, here is my question. I pay child support for my 3 kids and I was sent info from the child support office that I need to raise my payments for my twins. OK, I know it's 25% for the 2 kids, and I pay a certain percentage for my other child.

Now 3 years ago I got my oldest child and she no longer resides with me. My oldest is handicapped and due to that the mother gave her to me cause she couldn't handle the expenses, ie. medication, therapy appointments, and 5 to 6 medical appointments a month because of her medical condition.

What are my options as far as me getting shafted with tons of money being dished out when I have to spend a lot just to keep my oldest child alive? What will the percentage be instead of 25% plus with my other child that I pay child support for as well?

By Bryan C.

The families that I have known of that are in situations like yours, if the each have one child neither one pays child support. I'm wondering if the mother of the kids had asked for a modification of child support. That being said if she did, you should have been notified of the hearing and then a moderator would decide the case, but it wouldn't be right away. I would go to your child support office and talk to them about it. If nothing else ask for a modification of child support.

-Each state will have its own formula. Call your state's HHS Department.

-Apply for social security disability benefits for your eldest. Speak to the hospital social worker and your child's caseworker for help.

-Visit DrOzshow.com and see what lifestyle changes and nutrition may enhance your daughter's independence from her condition.

My fiance has been paying child support for a child he's not sure is his. He also doesn't know where the mother is located. How does he go about finding out where the money is actually going?

By Machelle from Atlanta, GA

Well, if he is not sure the child is his he can have that tested. It will cost him to have the test but it could be well worth it.

As for where the money goes that would depend on where he sends it. Is it going to a lawyer's office or to the mother?

If it's going to the mother and he wants to know how she is spending it there is nothing he can do for that unless the child is obviously in need from neglect. Meaning the money isn't going to the well being of the child which is mostly what it is for. It could also be used for the mother's rent or utilities because the child needs these as well. But if the mother is neglecting the child ( bad clothes, little or no food, no school supplies) then he could make an attempt to get custody of the child because of the neglect.

I am a retired Child Support agent for the State of Georgia. In Georgia, your fiance would have been served paperwork by the Sheriff's Department to appear in court regarding the paternity of the child in question. This was the procedure at the time of my retirement. If he had appeared in court, he would be given an opportunity to have paternity testing done at no cost to him unless the DNA testing proved he was, in fact, the father. Then he would have to pay the paternity test costs. If served and he failed to appear in court to dispute paternity, a default order would have been written and he would have been declared as Daddy. The address of the child and mother are confidential information and can't be given to the Father. Likewise, his address also can't be given to the Mother either. If his case is in another state, I can't speak for their regulations. Any support payments go through the Child Support Registry and are sent directly to the Mother either into a banking account if she has one or an electronic payment on a card. I hope that this helps you in some way.

Anonymous

Where does he send the money? It must be an agency if he's not sending it directly to the mother. The agency indeed makes sure the money gets to the mother for the child. Unless he goes to family court for child visitation it really isn't any of his business what the actual address of the mother is (and maybe not even then depending on the circumstances). And it's really not any of his business how every penny is spent because the child is living with her and not him and children are expensive! Perhaps if he goes to family court he could demand a paternity test (and she would have to comply) to put any questions to rest about whether the child is actually his or not. No offense meant but he doesn't sound like he really cares about the child but rather his money :-(

OK, I'm having a problem. Legally, if he is current on his child support and has no other issues (like being an abuser, pedophile, etc), he has rights to the child, including visitation. Where was your fiancee when all these decisions were being made? Was he disinterested then? As for the money, it is going to the mother, to spend on the child as she sees fit, whether it be for clothing, food, a savings account, rent to keep a roof over the child's head, school supplies--just whatever. If your fiancee has legitimate questions, he needs to attain legal counsel.