Add to PageAsk a Question

Is Stepparent Responsible for Child Support?

Category Child Support
Typically child support is the responsibility of the parents. However, some states do allow the income of a stepparent to be considered in support cases. This is a page about, "Is stepparent responsible for child support?".


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

April 13, 2012

My ex-husband is trying to have my new husband's wages included in the child support calculations, so he will not owe any child support for his 2 kids. Can he do this?

By Nikki Z.


April 13, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

It is your ex-husband's responsiblity to support his kids, not your new husband. From what I have always heard a new spouse's income can't be figured as income, in order to decrease the responsibility of the kid's birth parent. Call your local child support enforcement office and discuss this with them.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 14, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

What I have heard about spouse's income not being used to decide the amount of child support, comes from people who have had the experience, and that isn't heresay. You don't have to call an attorney all you have to do is call your local child support enforcement office and that is free. Granted things might be different in different states, but I don't think so, because the child support collection rules are supposed to be national.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 15, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

No, he can not. The only way he can get out of paying child support is to sign away his parental rights to your new husband, if the new husband is willing to adopt the children.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

July 18, 2016

I am going to be marrying my soon to be husband and he is on SSI and has kids that he sees once a month. He went to the courts before I met him and they ruled that he did not have to pay child support.


Can his ex come after me for child support?


July 21, 20160 found this helpful
Best Answer

Many state laws are different on this subject so you will need to find out how/what laws will come into play when you get married or maybe even if you are just living together (and how long together etc.).
Some information can be obtained through state agencies but an attorney who specializes in this would be so much better as this is something that could make a very big difference in your lives.

I have heard of a person getting married to someone on SSI that has not had to pay support and the ex returned to court and the judge reevaluated the income AND included the income of the spouse and that included any SS benefits.

As all the respondents have suggested - get an attorney in your state - no matter the cost.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportFebruary 21, 2017
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/10/05 07:58:54 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!