Will My Husband Remarrying Increase My Child Support?

Category Child Support
Generally child support is figured from the husband's income alone. This guide is about will my husband remarrying increase my child support.

My ex-husband is remarrying. Will his new combined income increase my child support?

Elba from Onalaska, WI

Answers

Best Answer

No, I'm a second wife and my husband has been paying child support for years. My income has nothing to do with his child from a previous marriage. Since you and he are the parents you are the only two who's income counts.

Best Answer

I'd look at your divorce paperwork. Each state is different and in some states you would need to go to court to request higher child support. Then it would depend on how it went.

Whether he is remarried or not, may or may not make a difference but as others said, it may depend on only his income, not the family income.

Most men, however, make more and more money as time goes on and the cost of living continues to rise. If your child support agreement was made some years ago, you may be able to get more child support, just because the cost of raising children is more.

Best Answer

Like everyone stated, at least in Colorado, the new wife's income does not play into the support. Just as if you had remarried it won't go down, because your new husband would not be responsible.

Best Answer

I was the second wife, and my late husbands ex-wife and her husband took us back to court, we live in Massachusetts, to have my income added to his income. They wanted more in child support. We, my late husband and I both worked and we also had two children of our own in addition to his two daughters from his first marriage. The court system had us fill out two (2) financial statements, one for him alone, and the other with our combined incomes. Thankfully the court here in Massachusetts only used his income. We were living week to week as it was and any additional child support really would have been a total burden on us.

He was a wonderful father, paid his child support, and never missed a visitation day, which was 2 days a week and they stayed over 1 weekend a month. I love my stepdaughters dearly, but, their mother's income was not even factored at all. In the end we had custody of the older daughter and the child support was not lowered, and my late husband's ex-wife did not have to pay any child support for the daughter we gained custody of. This all happened back in 1986, I'm not sure what the standards in Massachusetts are today.

If my ex-husband remarries will it increase my child support? I live in Joliet, Illinois.

By Diane from Joliet, IL

Answers

Best Answer

No. The child support is determined by the court, based on his earnings. If he married a woman with a million dollars his support will stay the same.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Unless she happens to be wildly wealthy beyond imagination her income will not be counted in Illinois. Be careful about even going down the slippery slope of trying for an increase when he remarries because, depending on whether you get any kind of state or federal assistance (including food) for you and/or your children or you have a boyfriend or fiance, his payments can actually be reduced.