Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I just discovered some black cat urine stains on my hardwood floors (hidden under a box for weeks!). These topnailed, red oak floors were refinished and coated with polyurethane (Varathane) about 25 years ago, so I guess there are gaps or thin areas in the polyurethane that let the urine through. (Despite the fact that this is in an area that gets little foot traffic or wear, and we are a shoe-free household.)

I read the archives here, and so I tried the peroxide soaked paper towels for a day and overnight, without sanding/ removing the polyurethane. Will I have to sand the polyurethane finish off to have any real chance of removing these stains myself?

To those who successfully lightened or removed such stains with peroxide: were your floors finished with polyurethane, with another sealer, or with lacquer or just wax? If you have personal experience with removing stains, I'd appreciate any tips you can offer!

By Dina from CA

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try using a Magic Eraser; see if that doesn't do the trick for you! And be sure that the hydrogen peroxide that you are using is NOT the "topical solution" which is simply an extremely watered down version of the real thing that is out on the market now! I found the real thing at Walmart Pharmacy; that's the only place I found it! (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I am one of the people who recommended the peroxide. I use the ones that can be found everywhere and it does the trick. I don't think that you need to get the other one.

Anyway, I think that you will find with repeated applications of the peroxide, it will lighten up a lot more. (09/21/2010)

By kathyj311

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Clean+Green: Wood and Tile Cleaner, Odor Eliminator and Stain (10/14/2010)

By MRSCCB

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄