Preserving Fresh Cilantro

They have a great deal on cilantro right now. What is the best way to preserve fresh cilantro in your refrigerator? I may dry some but I want to use some fresh as well, but it always seems to go bad on me so quickly.

Answers:

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

We use a lot of cilantro in cooking and I buy it fresh and then break the leaves off and place in a clean ice tray and finish filling with water and freeze. After they are good and frozen I pop them out of the trays and store in freezer bags in the freezer until they are needed. That way when I need a little cilantro for beans, stews or whatever I have it on hand. (06/11/2004)

By Kelley

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

I have found a quick and easy way to freeze cilantro. Wash it very well, pat dry and divide the bundle in half, turn half of the cilantro around so leaves are sitting on stems. Place into a plastic bag and roll fairly tight, then secure with a couple rubber bands.

When I needed cilantro I just roll back the plastic and with my scissors cut off as much as I want for my recipe, then I close the bag replace the rubber band and put it back in the freezer. Even though the cilantro has been frozen it works in fresh salsa. (07/09/2007)

By BABBIE

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

Chop Cilantro up into the size you prefer, then put the Cilantro into individual ice cube tray cells. You should add a bit of water (or tomato sauce instead of the water). When cubes are frozen, take them out of the trays and put the cilantro into labeled & dated zip-lock type bags.

When you need cilantro: Simply take out the amount of cubes you need, thaw them out & add them to your recipe.

If you need to freeze a much larger amount, I would use old yogurt, or cottage cheese containers with lids instead of the ice cube trays. Don't forget to label & date your containers. This method works for all fresh herbs, chives & green onions too! Fresh chopped garden tomatoes are great to add with the Cilantro. Make your own herbal mix. (07/09/2007)

By Cyinda

Preserving Fresh Cilantro

I noticed nobody responded to Eve's question. Well Eve, before finding this site, I found another one that said you can grind them with olive oil to preserve it. I just finished doing just that, and placed it in my fridge. I hope it works and lasts. I have only used it once for a recipe, and I love it. I plan to find more dishes to use it as well. :D (12/09/2007)

By Lisa

Fresh Cilantro
Preserving Fresh Cilantro
Homemade Salsa
Salsa Recipes Without Cilantro
Dried Carrots
Drying Vegetables
dried cilantro
Drying Cilantro
Preserving Fresh Chives
Preserving Fresh Chives
🎄