Preventing Jewelry from Tarnishing

Category Jewelry
Tarnished Jewelry
It is very disappointing to reach into your jewelry box for your favorite silver earrings or necklace to find them gray with tarnish. This is a guide about preventing jewelry from tarnishing.

To keep all your silver jewelry looking like new and keep it from tarnishing, keep it locked in a zip lock bag in your jewelry box. The air will not get to it and you will not have to worry about tarnish and cleaning!

Source: This tip was from a jeweler in Montana, on my vacation

By Sandy from Munroe Falls, OH

To save any of your jewelry from tarnishing, pop a length of chalk inside your jewelry box. I have no idea how this works but it does! So if you buy a box full of chalk, give a stick each to your girlfriends and female relatives for their jewelry! A simple thrifty tip that you can share.

By monique63 from Somerset, U.K

How can I store my silver jewelry so that it won't tarnish?

By Vicki from AZ

There are anti-tarnish strips made by 3M. I think other companies make them, too. Store your pieces in a plastic zip bag with an anti-tarnish strip. They have to be replaced periodically. I make jewelry, and I use the strips. Alternatively, you could put a piece of chalk into the zip bag with your jewelry. That should slow down the process, too.

I've used my system for years and rarely have to repolish my silver.

Ziplock makes some food storage bags that you use a pump that comes with them to suck all the air out. I put my newly polished silver in one of these and remove all the air. I use as many bags as needed. For large pieces I used my electric vacuum sealer and "created" bags to fit them by cuttng and sealing seams, then sucked all the air out. After all the silver is in bags, I put the whole shebang into a black plastic bag. There are 2 things that will tarnish sliver: air and light. This blocks both. And can be re-used over and over.

Now when I use my silver, I just pull it out of the bags, use it. Then I wash it thoroughly. IF there are any spots that need a little polish (usually there's not) then I polilsh what's needed and re-bag them.

I've kept silver this way for years and didn't need to polilsh any of it when I needed it next.

The antitarnish strips work really well. If you have a storage box for your silverware that keeps it from tarnishing, you could keep your jewelery in there, if you don't wear it very often. You might also try those bags of silica or whatever it is that always comes with assorted things like electronics that absorbs the moisture. They might also work; however, the anti tarnish strips which you should be able to get at a jewelery store (or likely WalMart) are made just for this job, and last for a long time in my climate.

I clean my silver jewelry, store with anti tarnish strips and within a few days it is tarnished again! I make and sell jewelry so I have hundreds of pieces, what can I do?

By Jackie

How do you store? In an airtight container or ziploc bag of some sort? It's being out in the air that causes the tarnish.

Can I use nail polish to stop my silver ring from tarnishing?
Thank you.