Protecting Food from Off-Gassing in the Cupboard

Protecting Food
Unfortunately foods stored in your kitchen cupboards can pick up odors and tastes from the chemicals used in manufacturing the cabinets. This is a guide about protecting food from off-gassing in the cupboard.

The food in my cupboard tastes like varnish. An open box of crackers takes on the taste of varnish even when the box is closed properly. The cupboards were put in new in 2006.

By Ginger N.

I have a house with older cupboards, but have had this problem too. If anything sets in the cupboard too long, even if unopened, it gets a strong chemical taste. I think it has to do with the packaging; I've found foil packages the worst. But the last box of crackers I opened (plastic wrapped), had to be thrown out. It gets extremely hot here in the summer; I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. Or maybe the chemicals used in processing the food. I've had problems with food sealed in glass jars tasting off too. Maybe it is the chemicals used to finish the cupboards that seem to permeate everything.