Puppy Has Cherry Eye

What's the best surgery for Cherry Eye in a pup?

Lorelei from OH

Puppy Has Cherry Eye

My Chihuahua had one, our vet removed it, he has been fine, the other eye never developed one. The surgery was a one day deal. Good luck. (04/04/2008)

By Sally

Puppy Has Cherry Eye

Depends on the vet's option. Around our neck of the woods, it costs around $175.00-$100.00 to have it done. It's not a difficult surgery for the vet. The best surgical option I've learned about is to have a pocket formed under the eye and the third eyelid placed in it and sutured over. This is suppose to be the type of surgery that will prevent re-occurrences versus the fold and tuck which might have to be done again later.

Not good to have the gland totally removed as problems down the road will happen. Dry eye and lots of drops for remainder of pet's life as this gland (third eyelid) helps in producing tears to keep eyes moistened naturally.

My pet Cocker is a pup and was teething at the time of her one eye becoming a cherry eye. I put some good eye drops from the vet in it and within two weeks time, the eye was totally clear and it has not come back. It is possible a sibling from the litter scratched her eye and it was inflamed, but the drops took care of any infection if that was the case.

So, cherry eye happens from bacteria (environmental issues), teething, and weak eye muscle.

If this reoccurs in the future, I will be more knowledgeable as to deciding the type of surgery that will correct and hopefully prevent a re-occurrence. Thanks to all who have replied.

By Lorelei

Puppy Has Cherry Eye
red stuffed lobster toy with an eye patch
Making a Stuffed Animal Eye Patch
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)