Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

I have a pair of black jeans that have faded in colour. I would like some advice on how to bring the black back in them.

By Linda from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Probably the only thing that can be done is to buy some RIT dye for your faded black jeans. (06/06/2010)

By MCW

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

As MCW wrote, you need to dye them. I do this in the washing machine. I use the liquid version of Rit Dye (the powder has to be dissolved first). Use the hot water setting on your washer.
In order to make sure the clothes stay in the dye solution long enough, you need to keep resetting your wash cycle back to the beginning several times so the solution won't automatically drain out. I do this by setting a kitchen timer for 10 minutes to remind me.
Then just set the washer back to the beginning and reset the timer. You'll have to do this several times. While you're at it, throw in any other black items that can stand hot water and need a little refreshing. (06/07/2010)

By Southern Saver

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

RIT dye works like a charm. But the last time I did it, I didn't read the package and they said to use 2-3 packets, if I remember correctly.

I used black and one package and it made a difference, but next time I'm using more packets.

Be really careful reading the instructions on cleaning your washing machine afterwards. That is, if you're going to use your machine to dye. I think the RIT box said something about putting things in a pot on a stove. No way for me.

Good luck! (06/07/2010)

By metroplex

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Also remember to always turn them inside out before washing. It helps the color last longer. (06/08/2010)

By dusty6788

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

In the future, you should use a detergent that says it will not remove the color from black garments. Alternately, you can accept the fact that jeans fade, and just go with them the way they are. Faded blue denim is always in. Why not black? (06/10/2010)

By louel53

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
🎉
🎄