Recipes Using Imitation Crab

Category Seafood
Imitation crab is actually made from fish and flavored to taste like crab. This less expensive substitute for crab can be used in many recipes calling for crab. This page contains recipes using imitation crab.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This is a favorite of mine! Love even the imitation crab meat. Fairly low calorie dish, too. Very good!

• 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 10 oz. imitation crab meat
  • 2 oz. grated cheese
  • 2 tsp. margarine

Directions:

Make a white sauce by microwaving flour, milk and margarine 2 minutes on high. Microwave 2 minutes more, stirring after 1 minute. Add cheese and stir. Add crab and microwave 2 minutes. Serve over 2 cups cooked pasta.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Crab au gratin being spooned out of a casserole dish

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about crab bake recipe. Many Chinese buffet restaurants serve a baked dish made with imitation crab, cheese, and a sauce.

I use Zatarains crab cake mix and a package of imitation crab meat when I make crab cakes. I just use the basic recipe on the box. The imitation crab meat substitutes really well for real crab and the crab cakes taste really good.

By Betty from Philadelphia, PA

I picked up a package of fake crab meat at the store and am not sure what to do with it. Recipe anyone? Thanks.

By Judy from IA

Best Answer

I like the flaked imitation crab meat on nacho chips. Or if you have the sticks, cuts them into small pieces. Distribute the meat evenly over nacho chips. Then your favorite shredded cheese (cheddar, colby jack, motzerella) on top and lightly melt on a lower power in the microwave. Do not over cook. The cheese gets hard, MMMMMMM good!!! Seafood Nachos.

Best Answer

I cook spaghetti until done. Set aside. Saute chopped onions and green pepper until soft. Add garlic chopped fine. Add imitation crab meat chopped up to pan. Warm ingredients and put in baking dish. Put in 350 oven for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle on mozzarella cheese and brown. Delicious.

Best Answer

I make a seafood salad with the crab meat. I use two packages of the imitation crab and put it in a bowl. Add:

1 cup diced celery

1 can black olives drained

1 small bottle of Spanish olives

salt

garlic powder to taste

canola oil

lemon juice to your taste

My family really like this dish. I sometimes put in small shrimp.

Best Answer

I have an easy and tasty one.

1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened

1 soup can about 3/4 full of milk

Combine in pan over moderate heat. Feel free to add pepper or garlic powder if you like. Once it's bubbling slightly, add imitation crab meat and a 10 oz box of frozen peas that have been thawed. Cook until the peas are heated through.

Usually I serve this with cooked rice mixed in, but it is also good with pasta. A great way to use up leftover rice or pasta. Very creamy and tasty. My cousin's fiancee, who is a picky eater, even loves this!

Best Answer

I mash it up mix with a block of cream cheese put a small scoop into wonton wrappers, close up and deep fry, look up recipes for crab rangoon to find different versions of this.

Best Answer

I have made crab cakes with fake crab, and they were very good. Just follow a crab-cake recipe from the internet or your favorite cookbook. Another favorite "recipe" of ours is seafood salad, a tossed salad from the grocery with fake crab added. There's no cooking required with that one--it's our go-to recipe when I have time to go to the store on my way home from volunteer work, but no energy or time to cook.

Has anyone used imitation crab to make crab cakes? And, also, do you have a good recipe to make the crab cakes with the imitation crab?

By Donna

Answers:

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I have done this, and we really liked them. I am not sure where I got the recipe I used, maybe from Savingdinner.com. (03/01/2010)

By Tooz

I purchased an 8 oz. pkg. of refrigerated imitation crab meat. Could any advise me on a quick and simple recipe to use this? Doesn't matter, could be appetizer, salad, lunch, or dinner.
Thanks.

By monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

Answers:

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

Well, just my personal opinion, but imitation crab is a waste of money because doesn't even taste like crab. For only a bit more per ounce you can have the real thing.

Here's my own tangy cocktail sauce to serve it with and it's quick and easy and will stay fresh in a closed container in the fridge for about a month.

• 1/3 cup catsup
  • 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbls lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • Garlic salt
  • Tabasco sauce

Combine first five ingredients and then add garlic salt to taste and then add Tabasco sauce to taste.
You could also add the crab in a simple crab salad (simply a bit of lettuce topped with the crab and cocktail sauce) or in an omelet. (09/14/2009)

By Deeli

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

Here is my favorite recipe for imitation crab. Use two plump tomatoes and dice them, finely chop a green jalapeno, finely dice a quarter of a onion. Flake the imitation crab. Mix all the ingredients and finally add the juice of two to three decent sized limes. Add salt to your liking. This is a healthy, light and refreshing salad. By the way you can eat it on tostadas found on the Mexican aisle or with crackers. Enjoy hope you like it.

Sabrina (09/14/2009)

By tomnsaby

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I have an easy and tasty one.

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 soup can about 3/4 full of milk

Usually I serve this with cooked rice mixed in, but it is also good with pasta. A great way to use up leftover rice or pasta. Very creamy and tasty. My cousin's fiancee, who is a picky eater, even loves this. (09/14/2009)

By linguistmarcie

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I mash it up, mix with a block of cream cheese and put a small scoop into wonton wrappers, close up and deep fry. Look up recipes for crab Rangoon to find different versions of this. (09/15/2009)

By micksgirl

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I like to use it for crab salad. Chop the crab and add some chopped celery and onion then mix with just enough mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to hold it together. Season as desired. This is good on a sandwich or with tomatoes and cucumber. Enjoy. (09/15/2009)

By Joankay

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

My fave recipe for imitation crab is as follows:

Saute some onion till soft and a little caramelized (about 5 minutes) add flaked crab and saute another 2 minutes. Scramble some eggs and add to pan. Cook to you liking. Top with shredded or sliced cheese (I prefer Monterrey Jack) cover to let melt (about 1 minute). Ta da, pure yum! Add some toast (I like English muffins), and fruit. A BLD meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner). Of course I would prefer real crab, but this is really a good substitute. Enjoy. (09/18/2009)

By katklaw777

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

Oh, I forgot, if I happen to have a ripe avocado I will make my eggs more like an omelet style and put the cheese and sliced avocado on one side, then fold the eggs over it. Healthy and delish. (09/18/2009)

By katklaw777

We like the taste of imitation crab. One of our local stores sells packages of it for $1.00 for a 12 oz. or so package. We buy several packages at a time and freeze them till ready to use. Sure makes for a cheap meal.

One dish that I make with it is Crab Salad (mayo, chopped celery, some seasoning: your choice, maybe some pickle relish, no certain amounts, just till it looks and tastes good). Don't overly mix or your imitation crab won't stay in chunks. Chill till ready to serve. I serve it with saltine crackers. You can put it over a bed of lettuce and serve with other salad fixin's.

I make another dish, that's ready in just a few minutes, it's one of my fastest meals (when in a hurry): I'll pull the imitation crab apart, toss in a heated non-stick skillet with a dab of butter and a lot of dried dill and lemon pepper. Heat quickly, toss till a little browned and serve (this one can be made and served in no time hardly at all.) Both these dishes are quick to make.

Source: The crab salad recipe I got from an ex-co-worker, whose brother worked in a restaurant (she just gave me a list of the ingredients, not the measurements). The last recipe, I thought up myself.

By Terri from NV

Answers:

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I like the flaked imitation crab meat on nacho chips. Or if you have the sticks, cut them into small pieces. Distribute the meat evenly over nacho chips. Then your favorite shredded cheese (cheddar, colby jack, mozzarella) on top and lightly melt on a lower power in the microwave. Do not over cook. The cheese gets hard, mmm good. Seafood Nachos. (05/27/2008)

By LITTLE SUZY

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

I cook Spaghetti until done. Set aside. Saute chopped onions and green pepper until soft. Add garlic chopped fine. Add imitation crab meat chopped up to pan. Warm ingredients and put in baking dish. Put in 350 oven for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle on Mozzerella cheese and brown. Delicious. (05/27/2008)

By Marjorie

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

My family really likes this dish. I sometimes put in small shrimp. (05/27/2008)

By Tina

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

Here is my super simple recipe for imitation crab meat.

Heat in a sauce pan on medium heat until bubbly.
Serve on hoagie buns with chips.
We love it.

Idea came from Oprah show they had barbecued cat fish sandwich. They used catfish because it was a firm fish
(05/31/2008)

By Joe

Tips and Recipes For Imitation Crab

Mmm this is a great snack.
What I do.
Buy one package of imitation crab. Open package. Take a piece out. Put in mouth, chew and swallow. Yum. (07/17/2008)