Shelf Life of Imitation Crab Meat

Category Food Safety
The shelf life of imitation crab varies depending on packaging and storage. Unopened vacuum sealed packages are typically good in the fridge for two months or the "use by" date. Once opened, use within 3 days. If frozen, use within 6 months is recommended. This is a guide about the shelf life of imitation crab meat.

So I'd put some crab out to make crab salad or something. In the next couple days I had to rearrange the fridge and freezer. I had couple other packages in freezer now I don't know which ones are which. I live on disability and $16.00 month food stamps I'm very smart shopper. Also because of my health I have to eat certain things. If I see it on sale I'll usually get more than one. Recently my doctor told me I was anemic, which is why I had the fake crab. Since crab isn't really real crab what your opinions?
Thank you so very much.

Answers

Best Answer

You treat it just like you would treat fresh fish so two to three days max.

"Fake" crab meat is actually white fish. If it is bad, you will know it by the smell.

In the future, you may want to do like I do. I take a wax pencil and write the date on it that you put to thaw. I do a T and the date, or a F and the date, for thaw or freeze.

For fish, 3 days in the fridge is plenty after you already thawed it.

Fake crab has long shelf life. I guess it'd be hard to tell now since they're all frozen again.. Perhaps if you open it up and it smells bad after thawing or sour then that must be the bad one.