DecorRecycled Crafts

Reinvented Character Pillow Chair

contest winner icon

I wasn't so thrilled when my husband brought home this brown pillow chair from a discount retail store just because it was cheap. I didn't really care for how it looked. One day I gathered a few scrap items from my kitchen and my handy glue gun (I'm not so great with sewing) and spruced it up to look like my favorite popular Japanese cartoon icon. All my friends adore it. It's a great way to give kids a favorite seat!

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• pillow chair
  • large plastic bottle caps
  • old white towel
  • small scraps of black cloth
  • scrap of red cloth
  • hot glue gun

Instructions:

1. Cut black scraps into circles a bit larger than your bottle caps (I used large sports drink caps that measured almost 2 inches across). Make sure the cloth covers the caps all the way. Take your glue gun and glue the cloth on to the bottle caps. Press down to seal. Let dry.
  2. Cut a square from your red cloth about 10 inches wide and 8 inches high. This will be the red mouth. Glue it on to your pillow chair. Press down to seal. Let dry.
  3. Cut out zig zags from your white towel (or white cloth) 10 inches wide and 2.5 inches high. I used the ends of the towel for the top and bottom of his mouth so it didn't fray and was perfectly straight.
  4. Glue teeth down on to the red cloth square. Press down to seal. Let dry.
  5. Put a generous amount of hot glue on the cloth covered bottle caps (under side) and press onto the pillow chair above the mouth. Press firmly for a good 30 seconds. Let dry.

Voila! Iconic monster chair! You can, of course, spruce up your chair to look like any character. This just happens to be my favorite little guy. :)

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA