Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog, a Newfoundland and Border Collie mix, spends a lot of time biting his feet. The vet recommends Benadryl and Prednisone to stop it. I would like to find a natural and healthier solution to the problem. Can anyone help?

Marylee from PA

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try peppermint oil rubbed in good. I would think a natural lip balm would work too, because in reality they are "chapping" their paws. Might consider something they won't lick 'cause it tastes good. (02/11/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I heard that if a dog is doing that they have an allergy to their food. (02/11/2009)

By Amberina

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Seeing that you are in PA, its winter and there is a good chance that the dog is having problems with ice melt solutions ie: salt, calcium chloride and or other melting solutions that may cause irritation to the skin. I would wash the dogs paws off at the door, very gently, remember that the animals paws are sensitive and rubbing them may cause more irritation. Use a cooling cream like aloe or from the plant itself, or a ointment for burns. Have your carpets professionally steam cleaned and make everyone take the shoes off at the door so you don't track it on your clean carpets and vac once a day until winter is over with. We have a rabbit that starts to clean her paws from the salt tracked in our home. Good Luck!
Mark (02/12/2009)

By Supreme Care

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Salt and sometimes things outside are very alkaline. Try rinsing with a solution of vinegar and water. I would start off with maybe a 10 or 15% solution, because the skin can be chapped or sore (that's like 1-1/2 tsp white vinegar and 8-1/2tsp water, will give you a 15% solution). After the skin is well, then you can go to 50%-1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and then straight vinegar, but I have used this stuff on myself. Sometimes when I go out and garden and sweat really badly, my arms start to itch really badly and I'm not ready to shower yet. Well keep a bottle of prepared mix and pour it on, rub a little to spread it and then dry it off and it is amazing. It even stops the itching from plant irritations. (02/12/2009)

By Chris t.

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Prednisone, no good. It's a great short term remedy. I had the same problem with my mini schnauzer and after Prednisone and a couple of cortisone shots I changed her food. After the food change, the itching of the feet stopped, the hair loss stopped. I switched her from Beneful (which she loved) to Natural Life Allergy and then to Hill's Science Diet. Both worked and she enjoyed both foods. I know some say dog food is dog food and they're not spending the money for more expensive. I'm here to say, dog food is not dog food, just like fast food is not a home cooked meal.

Also what Supreme Care said is true; it could just be irritation from the elements or chemicals or salt. Here in the south, I put paw wax, which I get at WalMart or Petsmart, on her paws to protect her feet from the very hot pavement. The container also says for cold weather. It's good stuff and seems to provide a barrier against hot or cold, just like lip balm. (02/12/2009)

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Smelly Dog Paw
Remedy for Smelly Dog Feet