Browsing: Remedies for Pet Anxiety

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Pet Anxiety

Whether your pet is new to your home or gets upset during storms, there are rescue remedies and creative ways to calm them. This guide contains remedies for pet anxiety.

Remedies for Pet Anxiety
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 5, 2014 Flag

My dog goes nuts especially if a storm is coming, he paces and paces, sticks his face in yours so you can't watch TV. He cries so I give him some Bailey's approximately 1 tbsp or less. It settles him right down so he can relax. Am I hurting my dog? My mom used to give me hot toddies as a baby, but Bandit likes either Bailey's or Amaretto. Anyone else do this with their dog?

By Debbie T.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Alcohol can be deadly for a dog. It depends on the size of the dog. In small amounts it is damaging to the liver and kidneys. In larger amounts it can be, and often is fatal. Try a "thunder shirt" for an anxious dog in a thunder storm.

Just when I thought we had heard it all this one takes the "championship" Have you never heard of a person called a Veterinarian who can prescribe mild tranquillizer by Dogs weight to help him. Alcohol will affect his canine heart / lungs / kidneys the same as it will humans.

April 6, 2013 Flag

Dog on back of couch.My house dog is 4yrs old. She has not been crate trained and to be honest I did not do a good job at house training when I got her when she was 6 months old. Right now when I leave the house for work, usually gone for more than 11 hours, I leave puppy pads out for her to use which she does sometimes. Sometimes she will use the pad and also jump on the sofa and will urinate there as well. I leave toys out for her to play with. I give her a treat every day first thing when she as been good (used her puppy pad). I take her out everyday as soon as I get home from work as well. She is very attached to me and I believe she may go through separation anxiety when she's alone. I make sure her bedding is very comfortable before I leave for work as well. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong? She does not urinate on the sofa every day, but one time is too many and I'm not sure what do do. I discipline her by rubbing her nose in it and I tap her on the ass. Any suggestions?

By Tute

I have a dog who looks a lot like your puppy. We have 3 dogs total, but I think your puppy would be less lonely if you got another dog. If you don't want to worry about house training another dog, you could adopt an adult dog from a local shelter-who is house trained-and your puppy will also learn from (him/her).

My dachsund had major back problems and we had to do a lot of therapy with him (got him to walk again)-but I think what made him want to walk again was playing with his older (brother) and seeing him get so excited when it was time to go for walks.

Some people have had success with doggie daycares, or taking the dog to someone who can watch him in the daytime (perhaps a stay at home mom who could use a few extra bucks?) maybe even post an add for someone who wouldn't mind watching your pup while you are at work. That or finding a job close enough so you could come home at lunch and give her a potty break. We work a lot too, and at least I know when I am gone my boys can cuddle up together. Good Luck!

11 hours is a LONG time to be alone. Since she is such a small dog, I would confine her to the bathroom. I would put her bed in one corner, a bowl of water and food in another, piddle pads in another. All her favorite toys, etc. If your bathroom is too small, I would use a room with a washable floor; tile, linoleum, etc.

You're wasting your time rubbing his nose in it. It's after the fact and he has no idea why he's being punished. I agree that if he's still young, 11 hours alone is too much. I have a 5 year old dachshund and it was the easiest thing to housebreak him. The only time he ever pooped in the floor was right after back surgery while he was healing. You have to be consistent. I started out at 6 weeks putting him on a pee pad and the vet told me to stop that and pick him up, take him out on the grass and all the while saying "potty". After awhile, he'll get the message and walk to the door himself. He is the cutest thing! Don't give up on him because he needs you to be patient.

You got some good advice here. I agree, 11 hours is too long to leave a young dog. With someone coming in to walk the dog, it might be better. Also a pal is a great idea. You didn't say if you walk the dog daily. That is essential, and quite a commitment. And yes, rubbing the dogs nose in it is pretty old fashioned and cruel in my view. The animal has no idea what you are punishing them for. They learn nothing from it. But they are confused and hurt. You might try ways to keep the dog off the couch. All that jumping can be hard on a dachsy's back. I kept my cat off the couch by laying a strip of aluminum foil on it for a few days. Good luck with your puppy. She is adorable.

May 24, 2012 Flag

package of Rescue Remedy sprayI received the spray today from drsfostersmith. It is a small bottle, it cost me 20 dollars or so with shipping included. It has made Bruno, my dog, relax during a storm and he acts so much better.

It is also for humans too. You spray two sprays in the mouth of the dog or the person.

The only problem would be if the dog didn't want to have you spray its mouth. So far he is letting me without complaint. There are drops also, but I bought the spray.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

February 17, 2011 Flag

I just recently rescued a 5 week old puppy. We've had him for a week and he has developed severe anxiety whenever anyone leaves (even so much as to freak out when you are on the couch/bed and he is left alone on the floor).

He used to love his crate and now he hates it because he now knows it means he will be separated from everyone. I want him to grow up happy and independent! And I also need him to love his crate like he used to so I can housebreak him.

I try my best to ignore him, but he has begun this awful "scream" bark to get my attention. It's not only heartbreaking, but very obnoxious (for my household and I'm sure for my neighbors!). It needs to stop. What is the best way to approach derailing his severe anxiety over being left alone?

Help!

By Brewster from CA

Answers:

Helping a Puppy Going Through Separation Anxiety

Congratulations that you rescued puppy, but because they should never leave their mothers and litter mates until eight weeks they can develop lifetime problems. Try finding an older female "from your vet/animal shelter" to foster mum him. Nature will take its course and the older animal will be his security when left alone. Dogs are pack animals and need canine company. (11/22/2010)

By FARSTAR

Maybe get him a soft, cuddly stuffed dog and a soft 'blankie' for his crate and put it close to your couch, so he's close to you when he's in it, just until he gets bigger. A wind-up alarm clock also helps, because the ticking helps soothe, but now they also make those things for babies that make a heartbeat sound, so if you could get your hands on one of those it would be really good. And don't just put him in his crate when you are going to leave or go to bed, or he'll learn that you leave when he is in it.

Good luck, he's still such a little baby and probably very frightened, poor little thing! (11/22/2010)

By lyonpridej

November 22, 2010 Flag

My 6 month old German Shepherd/Beagle cross suffers from terrible separation anxiety. Once we leave him, he whines then barks uncontrollably before destroying stuff. He is left alone in our kitchen/dinning area only for 3 hours, twice a day. He is a rescue dog, therefore I understand why he gets like this, but have no idea how to help him get over this. Can anyone please advise me?

By Stuart from Aberdeen, Scotland

Answers:

Here is a great link to get you started. The main thing you will need to do is to go slowly. Your dog needs to know you will always come back. Start by letting him know you are leaving. Sneaking out the door will just create more anxiety. I use "be back" whenever I go out for ANY amount of time. It doesn't matter if I am stepping out to get mail or leaving for the day, I always let them know.

You can train by mimicking actually leaving for the day by grabbing the keys, your coat, coffee, etc. like you are heading out for the day and step outside for only a few minutes. Use this numerous times during the day increasing the amount of time you stay on the other side of the door. Leaving a special goody just for the longer periods of time will help. We use the white sterilized bones stuffed with a soft smelly treat like Solid Gold's Turkey Jerky. The bone cannot be destroyed for some time and the smell keeps your dog interested in it. I know this sound like a long process but it will net you a more confident and calm dog when you are gone. :) (01/12/2010)

By caninecodependent

Sorry I forgot the link: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/separation_anxiety.html (01/12/2010)

By caninecodependent

He needs a buddy. Believe me, 2 is always easier than 1. Lots of exercise helps as well. (01/13/2010)

By muttmom

He needs a friend. (01/13/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

February 11, 2010 Flag

Dogs are social animals, and some dogs experience separation anxiety when their people aren't around. In some dogs, the feelings they experience are mild....

January 12, 2010 Flag

I have a new 11 week blue brindle pit bull named Kai. I understand that puppies go through separation anxiety, but for the next 2 weeks I will be working and going to school. What can I do to ease this transition for him and my family (and neighbors), and also for the next two weeks when he is home alone?

June 5, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets AdviceMay 31, 2012
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
Calming Your Pets
Calming Your Pets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 3:47:42 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.