Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs

These insects enjoy aphids, but there are other things they may like. This page is about feeding and caring for pet ladybugs.

I am a science coach with our school district and our first graders are going to be raising and caring for ladybugs in the classroom. We need to know what to feed them other than aphids? Hopefully we can find a food that is "classroom friendly". Can you help?

Pam from Midland, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I did a little research, and the adults do eat aphids, and what I found suggests you keep adults in captivity no more than several days, (they suggest feeding honey water), since their nutrition will not be adequate. If you are purchasing from a supplier that regularly supplies schools, they may be able to offer a more complete diet. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Here is a website for keeping pet ladybugs and their diet which raisins and bananas and other sweet non acidic fruits are recommended with a moistened paper towel kept sprayed with water for them to drink.

Here is the website I found: www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

I put out any fruit that has a high sugar content and is soft-fleshed to eat. I also figured that a fruit with a high water content is also a good choice when considering appropriate fruits to feed a ladybug, as opposed to putting water out for it to possibly drown in. If you choose a fruit with a high water content, it takes care of both hunger and thirst.
A fruit that I'm currently trying is persimmon (peeled and very ripe). I left little segments out for the ladybug and it's going crazy for it!

Top Comment

That sounds good but what if it drowns from eating that fruit?

PS bananas are most probably the best for softness

Top Comment

I feed mine blueberries and juice from cooked oatmeal.

What do they eat besides bugs? What fruits can they eat?

By Luna

Answers

Best Answer

Ladybugs are very hardy little creatures, they can eat any food really, or at least mine do. I feed mine mostly globs of honey, raisins soaked in water for a few minutes, lettuce, and wilting broccoli. :)

Best Answer

I have a lady bug right now, and I know that ladybugs can eat grapes but you have to peel the skin so they can eat it because they also eat raisins. My ladybug Stewart also has a few drops of water and some soil and grass.

What do ladybugs need to live? What do they eat? How much water do they drink?

By Makala C.

Answers

Best Answer

Just wet a little paper towel or something and give it too your ladybug.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Get a bottle cap and fill a quarter with water and put it with your lady bug.

Anonymous
Best Answer

It is not good to leave standing water for any insect to drink. It is best to use a cotton ball, sponge, or paper towel soaked (but not drenched) in water.

Otherwise, the insect would drown.

I see what we are suppose to feed ladybugs raisins, but there is a problem with that. I only have chocolate yogurt raisins. My ladybug doesn't enjoy honey or bananas too much, but I have to keep him/her captive because he/she can't fly. Would it be safe to give her/him chocolate yogurt raisins? Also, what are other foods can I give to my ladybug?

Answers

Best Answer

Only feed Ladybugs plain raisins socked in water for a few minutes. Do not leave standing water, they will suck on a wet paper towel or a cotton ball soaked in water.

Load More
Pets AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-08 12:31:30 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️