Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs

These insects enjoy aphids, but there are other things they may like. This guide is about feeding and caring for pet ladybugs.

I am a science coach with our school district and our first graders are going to be raising and caring for ladybugs in the classroom. We need to know what to feed them other than aphids? Hopefully we can find a food that is "classroom friendly". Can you help?

Pam from Midland, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I did a little research, and the adults do eat aphids, and what I found suggests you keep adults in captivity no more than several days, (they suggest feeding honey water), since their nutrition will not be adequate. If you are purchasing from a supplier that regularly supplies schools, they may be able to offer a more complete diet. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Here is a website for keeping pet ladybugs and their diet which raisins and bananas and other sweet non acidic fruits are recommended with a moistened paper towel kept sprayed with water for them to drink.

Here is the website I found: www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

I put out any fruit that has a high sugar content and is soft-fleshed to eat. I also figured that a fruit with a high water content is also a good choice when considering appropriate fruits to feed a ladybug, as opposed to putting water out for it to possibly drown in.

What do ladybugs need to live? What do they eat? How much water do they drink?

By Makala C.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

It is not good to leave standing water for any insect to drink. It is best to use a cotton ball, sponge, or paper towel soaked (but not drenched) in water.

Otherwise, the insect would drown.

I see what we are suppose to feed ladybugs raisins, but there is a problem with that. I only have chocolate yogurt raisins. My ladybug doesn't enjoy honey or bananas too much, but I have to keep him/her captive because he/she can't fly. Would it be safe to give her/him chocolate yogurt raisins? Also, what are other foods can I give to my ladybug?

Answers

Best Answer

Only feed Ladybugs plain raisins socked in water for a few minutes. Do not leave standing water, they will suck on a wet paper towel or a cotton ball soaked in water.

What do they eat besides bugs? What fruits can they eat?

By Luna

Answers

Ladybugs are very hardy little creatures, they can eat any food really, or at least mine do. I feed mine mostly globs of honey, raisins soaked in water for a few minutes, lettuce, and wilting broccoli. :)

I have a lady bug right now, and I know that ladybugs can eat grapes but you have to peel the skin so they can eat it because they also eat raisins. My ladybug Stewart also has a few drops of water and some soil and grass.

Anonymous

Thank you for this answer I found a hurt lady bug in my room and my cousin and I used your idea and got better

Anonymous

thank you.My ladybug is healthy now!

Anonymous

cute!!!

Anonymous

I like that name!!!Stewart!

Anonymous

My ladybug Spot eats soft raisins and water.

Anonymous

they can eat raisins,apricots,and peeled grapes.

Can you feed them maple syrup?

Anonymous

Stewart is a great name!

Anonymous

My grapes wasn't peeled and now that I have my ladybugs is is going to them more often

I am having a ton of ladybug trouble right now. I kept a ladybug overnight, and I think she layed eggs. They look yellow orange-ish and are kind of like tiny jellybeans.

I need to relocate her because the habitat she is in now is cracked. I don't know how to move the eggs and I am kind of worried. Please help!!!!

yes!you can also feed them honey

Anonymous

move the stuff the eggs are on.

Load More