Ladybugs in the House

Category Bugs
This is a guide about ladybugs in the house. While ladybugs are beneficial in the garden, you may not appreciate having them inside. Here are some tips for keeping them out of your home.

I'm using petroleum jelly (generic brand) and baby oil instead of caulking to keep ladybugs out of my home. The petroleum jelly is used around the window sills and openings. The jelly is easily applied with a Q-tip, Popsicle stick, hand-held plastic plastic disperser, or whatever is handy and won't damage surface during application. These ladies can't get a grip or penetrate the jelly.

Also, I use the baby oil (generic brand, of course) to squirt on the windows internal string rods that raise and lower windows, just to keep these bugs from being able to climb up through. Ta Da! Good Job!

By ccgl from PA

I have a problem with ladybugs! I am staying in a cabin up in Tennessee with my family and just today I noticed something, one tiny little ladybug. Then, I saw another, then 3 more, then 5 more, then 20 more!

We are only in the cabin for a few days, so we can't tape the doors or anything. There are so many! I'm not sure if they came from the Christmas tree or the windows, or whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

By nikki from TN

Answers

Best Answer

They are a pest aren't they? Beings it is winter time, you may not feel like crawling under the house to set insect repellant bomb sprays around, but that has worked for us over the years. In the meantime, get pour a bit of PineSol into a glass jar with lid (so they can't crawl out) In a few seconds, the beetles die. The PineSol is strong enough to cover the odor the beetles release and when you get enough beetles in the jar, just flush the contents into the commode and start all over again. It's a bit of a nuisance, but you will do better at getting more of them if a lamplight is left on as this type of beetle heads where there's more lighting.

Best Answer

Lady bugs are harmless and beneficial as they eat other bugs. They come in the house looking for a warm spot for the winter.

I just sweep them up and toss them out side. Do not crush them. They give off an odor if crushed.

Best Answer

They might not be ladybugs, they could be Japanese beetles. The ladybugs are red, Japanese beetles are more orangey red. They do bite and when smashed they stink. They are very hard to get rid of. I even find one in my house now and then and it is in the middle of winter.

Best Answer

Ladybugs will get up into the attics and walls of structure to sleep out the winter. Warmth from the cabin has gotten them active, in turn they found their way inside the home, they are not helping by eating any insects around the cabin and they are not looking for a warm spot, they found a cold spot out of the harsh outside that now turned warm.

What people call Asian beetles, Chinese Beetles or Japanese beetles are as much of a ladybug as what we grew up with, just a species from Asia, they actually are better eaters than our native species. One other thought, you described them as tiny, which is usually not used, there is a tiny ladybug shaped beetle, but it is not red / orange, called Varied Carpet Beetle.

Lar-licensed PCO

Best Answer

Lady bugs, (Lady beetles) are not the same thing as Asian beetles. Asian beetles bite and stink when you swat them or vacuum them up. Lady bugs are beneficial and don't swarm like Asian beetles. They are getting a bad rap because of the Asian beetles.

Does anyone know how to limit or eliminate the constant ladybug infestation (they come inside and die) that occurs every winter in our southern windows? I am not sure if there are nests in the walls, does anyone know?

The main house is 100 years old, but the infestation seems particularly bad this year and each day we have upwards of 50 ladybugs in the same windows. Thanks. Any help appreciated.

By rustica from Lusby, MD

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

You have to spray the outside of your house where they come in. Around windows and doors, where the house meets the foundation and anywhere else you can find cracks. Find a spray that uses the ingredient "cypermethrin". The insects will die when they come in contact with it. (02/16/2010)

By Patricia Eldridge

How do I get rid of ladybugs from my bedroom?

Bonnie from Lascassas, TN

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

Ladybugs are harmless to humans. Sweep them up and deposit outside. Then look for the entrances they come in through and seal them. (02/19/2009)

By Harry

Ladybugs in the House

I don't know why people get upset about Ladybugs, they're supposed to be lucky. Why not gather them up, if they're still alive, and put them out in the yard. They're good for eating bugs. I feel that it's wrong to kill them since they are a "good" bug. Now if you were talking about roaches, that's another story. Think about getting them together and put them on a plant, please. (02/20/2009)

By Dee

Ladybugs in the House

You actually can put a clean vacuum bag in your vacuum, vacuum them up, then put a Ziploc baggy over the hole of the vacuum bag and allow them to go into the Ziploc baggy and sell them to farmers or on eBay. You can also freeze them then thaw them later and sell them. They are harmless and they kill aphids on plants. (07/12/2009)

By canyon

Ladybugs in the House

Just sweep em up and let them go.
Here's why: pestcemetery.com (10/23/2009)

By Jerry

Does anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? We have lots of them in our house! Thanks!

Tricia A. Farnham, VA

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

These beetles can be controlled using an insect bomb I've found at dollar stores, about 3 or 4 cans approx. $5.00 and put in the crawl space of your house several feet away from each other. This also kills the spiders. What few beetles that do get indoors, I put in a glass jar with lid half filled with PineSol and water. It kills them instantly and if you use a vacuum, their odor lingers and is unhealthy and you can smell it when you use your vacuum again. The beetles linger on the sunny side of our home and come in that way and are attracted by lamp light.
(01/11/2008)

By Myrna

Ladybugs in the House

I got some spray from Wal-Mart called Bug Stop. I think that they have it at Lowe's too. I sprayed it on the outside screens where they were coming in, and on doors. It has kept them away for 2 years. It's the only thing that I've found that works. (01/11/2008)

By Elizabeth

Ladybugs in the House

I used a circle of duct tape with the sticky side out on a long stick, pole or mop handle. This will reach many places. Touch it to lady beetles. Don't push real hard or tape will stick in tough places to get off.
When done or to reload, fold tape with bug inside. Don't squash-they stink.
Good luck (01/11/2008)

Ladybugs in the House

Everyone really has a real problem with these. I get maybe 20 ladybugs during the winter. You guys are going to hate me, but I just leave them alone, poor things will die on their own. Now, none of mine have ever bitten. That is something new to me! Maybe I just have plain old ladybugs. (01/12/2008)

Ladybugs in the House

I had the same problem while living in an apartment in Riverdale in The Bronx (believe it or not) some years ago. I found my windows covered with them. I contacted the Bronx Botanical Gardens and they suggested that I collect the bugs, put them in a safe container and place them in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for the winter. I did and one morning late in the following spring, I released them onto the window sill (outside) and, lo and behold, if they didn't revive and fly away! (01/12/2008)

By Sheila Hendricks

Ladybugs in the House

You could make money and sell these ladybugs to greenhouses.The ladybugs work great for aphids on plants.
I wish I had lots of ladybugs for my greenhouse.:) (01/30/2008)

By smilingfaces88

Ladybugs in the House

I contacted a bug expert about these pests and I was told that they are not ladybugs. They are Japanese beetles that were introduced in our area to control a type of larvae. Since then, they have bred with our common ladybug and YES THEY DO BITE! They are an orange color rather than red like our ladybug. Anyway, the expert said to use bug bombs in the attic where they nest. So I did and it worked! (02/11/2008)

By Gramma Jan

Ladybugs in the House

We have a big infestation. We don't know what to do, we have caught over 200 ladybugs and put them in a bug box. We are going to the forest and letting them go. Is there an easier way than all this catching about 200 a day and then letting them go? I've read that they lay over 1000 eggs in their lives. (10/11/2008)

By city girl in country

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of ladybugs within the house? Any good home remedies out there?