Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for a Dog With Constipation

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Dog With Constipation

If your dog is suffering from constipation, in the absence of other more serious symptoms, you may want to try a home remedy before going to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with constipation.

Solutions: Remedies for a Dog With Constipation

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Dog Constipation

I found this tip while searching for a remedy for our 10 year old Rat Terrier. He has been suffering from constipation, which I learned is a common problem with older pets. The remedy is quite simple. Half a teaspoon of canned pumpkin a day.

My source advised that this is one case where if a little is good, more is not better. More will increase the problem. Also advised, do not use canned pumpkin pie mix with the spices, just plain old canned pumpkin. Within 3 days, he was doing better. And I still have enough pumpkin to make a pie. *grin*

By Harlean from AR

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for a Dog With Constipation.

Question: Remedy for Elderly Dog With Constipation

What is a good remedy for dog constipation? My English Bulldog is eleven years old. He is on Lasix to clear fluid out of his lungs, and now he has become extremely picky about food. He will only eat if we hand feed him meat, so he has become constipated. We are taking him back to the vet on Monday, but would like to keep him comfortable. I am afraid I will need to have him put down, which I dont want to do. I am just looking for something he would eat to help him with the constipation now.

By Linda S.

Most Recent Answer

By Ce07/22/2013

My girls love sweet potatoes. I boil them until a fork goes through, peel off the skin, chop it into small bites, add a dab of butter and feed. According to Dr Oz to always eat a sweet potato with a little fat such as butter or oil. Make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water and wait for results.

Question: Remedy for a Dog with Constipation

My dog is constipated. What should I do?

By Janet S

Most Recent Answer

By Pam Griffis06/01/2011

If the mentioned methods don't work, please don't wait too long to see a vet. We thought our dog was constipated, but he was impacted (which can be life threatening). It took our vet several hours and a couple of things, which should only be done by a vet, to help him go. Then it took medicine and a special diet to get him back on track. After three weeks he's back to his regular food. We now add pumpkin to his food on a daily basis and make sure he drinks lots of water.

Question: My Dog is Constipated

How do you treat a constipated West Highland terrier?

By Ashley from Coleraine, Northern Ireland

Most Recent Answer

By rtrustydvm05/07/2012

She needs a colonic irrigation immediately. Take her to your vet NOW.

A colonic irrigation is where they first apply analgesic lubricant to lube up and numb her anus so that it can stretch wider than it does when she normally tries to poo, then lay her on her left side, squirt air up her butt to expand the intestine enough to make room for the large tube.

Then stick a special large tube (actually two tubes in one) up her butt and pump large volumes of fluid (warm water and a lubricant) into her colon, while massaging her belly t' ensure there is no discomfort, to wash her feces out through the large tube.

The smaller tube is for fresh water/lubricant, an' the large one, is the waste tube. the nozzle section has t' be a snug fit even before the balloon t' keep it in place is inflated, so that it does not become clogged with feces. Air is first instilled to inflate the rectum and aid in insertion of the large nozzle. once the nozzle is in place and secured by inflating a balloon, water begins to flow into her colon from the smaller tube attached to the nozzle. This also inflates the intestine, while loosening and softening the feces, and with the aid of normal peristaltic pressure, pushes the waste, gas, and water out through the waste tube. careful control of the flow rate, temperature of the water, and continuous gentle abdominal massage prevent cramping and 'straining'.

The object being to empty the intestine of waste, with no discomfort to the patient. the typical time it takes varies, but once complete, the nozzle is removed and the patient allowed to relax.

Question: Help With Constipated Puppy

What can I give to my 6 week old puppy to help her go poop?

Leota from Richland, MO

Most Recent Answer

By kmeaut (Guest Post)11/30/2008

Things like this always happen on a weekend. In my case Thanksgiving weekend!