Remedies for a Dog With Constipation

If your dog is suffering from constipation, in the absence of other more serious symptoms, you may want to try a home remedy before going to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with constipation.

Dog With Constipation
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 9, 2015 Flag

I have a 7 week old Pit that goes a little droplet 2 times a day. She is a girl, so what do I do to get her to go a little more?

By Marty C. from Charleston, SC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something is wrong! Need to take her to your vet now in case she has an intestinal block. Please!

She could have an intestinal blockage. Take your dog to the vet for treatment. Either your dog is severely constipated or has eaten something she shouldn't have and can't pass it. She may need x-rays. Either way, your vet can help, and also can give you recommendations on the best food for her.

September 14, 2007 Flag

What can I give to my 6 week old puppy to help her go poop?

Leota from Richland, MO

Try a little Paraffin Oil in the food. We can buy it at the supermarket here in Australia. Good luck !

I agree with the vet approach. Young animals can get dangerously sick very quickly.

Canned Pumpkin 1 to 2 teaspoons and make sure

it is plain. Not the pie pumpkin.

Things like this always happen on a weekend. In my case Thanksgiving weekend!

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2005 Flag

I found this tip while searching for a remedy for our 10 year old Rat Terrier. He has been suffering from constipation, which I learned is a common problem with older pets. The remedy is quite simple. Half a teaspoon of canned pumpkin a day.

My source advised that this is one case where if a little is good, more is not better. More will increase the problem. Also advised, do not use canned pumpkin pie mix with the spices, just plain old canned pumpkin. Within 3 days, he was doing better. And I still have enough pumpkin to make a pie. *grin*

By Harlean from AR

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2013 Flag

What is a good remedy for dog constipation? My English Bulldog is eleven years old. He is on Lasix to clear fluid out of his lungs, and now he has become extremely picky about food. He will only eat if we hand feed him meat, so he has become constipated. We are taking him back to the vet on Monday, but would like to keep him comfortable. I am afraid I will need to have him put down, which I dont want to do. I am just looking for something he would eat to help him with the constipation now.

By Linda S.

I feed my pets, both dogs and cats, baby food squash or pumpkin. They all love it, and it really helps with constipation. I use the baby food because it doesn't have a lot of salt and additives. A cat gets about 2 tsps. a day, and a medium sized dog ( Lab., shepherd, etc.) gets a small jar a day. Good luck with your dog. Hope everything turns out okay.

Keep in mind that eating just meat will mean you dog will have much less stool. My cat who eats only chicken has a bowel movement once a week. So adjust your expectations to what he is eating. Constipation is rarely a reason for euthanasia. Your Vet will have good suggestions that will help. We sometimes use lactulose, from the Vet by prescription, for our cat. It is a little sweet, and adds bulk and softness, and the cat doesn't taste it. Good luck.

My girls love sweet potatoes. I boil them until a fork goes through, peel off the skin, chop it into small bites, add a dab of butter and feed. According to Dr Oz to always eat a sweet potato with a little fat such as butter or oil. Make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water and wait for results.

January 2, 2011 Flag

How do you treat a constipated West Highland terrier?

By Ashley from Coleraine, Northern Ireland

Try adding a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to his food each day. Make sure he always has water available.

Go to your vet asap.

I found a great remedy at this website. www.dogisconstipated.com, they changed my dogs life and I hope it will yours too.

Your fellow dog lover,

Christina

She needs a colonic irrigation immediately. Take her to your vet NOW.

A colonic irrigation is where they first apply analgesic lubricant to lube up and numb her anus so that it can stretch wider than it does when she normally tries to poo, then lay her on her left side, squirt air up her butt to expand the intestine enough to make room for the large tube.

Then stick a special large tube (actually two tubes in one) up her butt and pump large volumes of fluid (warm water and a lubricant) into her colon, while massaging her belly t' ensure there is no discomfort, to wash her feces out through the large tube.

The smaller tube is for fresh water/lubricant, an' the large one, is the waste tube. the nozzle section has t' be a snug fit even before the balloon t' keep it in place is inflated, so that it does not become clogged with feces. Air is first instilled to inflate the rectum and aid in insertion of the large nozzle. once the nozzle is in place and secured by inflating a balloon, water begins to flow into her colon from the smaller tube attached to the nozzle. This also inflates the intestine, while loosening and softening the feces, and with the aid of normal peristaltic pressure, pushes the waste, gas, and water out through the waste tube. careful control of the flow rate, temperature of the water, and continuous gentle abdominal massage prevent cramping and 'straining'.

The object being to empty the intestine of waste, with no discomfort to the patient. the typical time it takes varies, but once complete, the nozzle is removed and the patient allowed to relax.

Read More Answers...

May 29, 2011 Flag

My dog is constipated. What should I do?

By Janet S

Mix a little (try a teaspoonful) of Mineral Oil in some peanut butter and let your dog lap it up. If things don't get "moving" in a couple of hours please see your vet. Hope all "goes well". Make sure your pup is able to get outside quickly, things can get a little messy.

Definitely agree with the canned pumpkin feedback already mentioned. My daughter uses it with her older husky when he gets a little "backed up" and it works wonderfully!

I puncture a capsule of cod liver oil and drizzle it on the morning's food. It has worked every time.

If the mentioned methods don't work, please don't wait too long to see a vet. We thought our dog was constipated, but he was impacted (which can be life threatening). It took our vet several hours and a couple of things, which should only be done by a vet, to help him go. Then it took medicine and a special diet to get him back on track. After three weeks he's back to his regular food. We now add pumpkin to his food on a daily basis and make sure he drinks lots of water.

Read More Answers...
Pets Dogs HealthJune 18, 2013
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
constipated woman
Remedies for Constipation
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:12:59 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.