I burned oatmeal on my Calphalon steel stockpot. I have washed it and scrubbed it and nothing seems to take it out. How can I remove it?
By Leticia from Chicago, IL
Have you tried oven cleaner? I've bought items from yard sales with burned-on food and had about given up on the first purchase. With nothing to lose, I heated it, took it outside, put it on a card table covered with thick layers of newspaper, and sprayed it like there was no tomorrow with cheap generic oven cleaner.
I think I might have left it there a while, checking it until the gunk loosened it up, then wiped it out with more newspapers to remove the gunk. Be sure to avoid inhaling the fumes and wear rubber gloves. Since then, I still first try soaking overnight with Dawn foam. Then try soaking with water and powdered dishwasher detergent, and then if those fail, grab the oven cleaner and head outside. (02/26/2010)
Please "do not use oven cleaner" on any utensil that food is going to come in direct contact with for health sake. easyoff.us
What I do is place water in the cookware and bring to a good boil and turn off the heat. Allow to "almost" cool and then scrub with a scrubber in the sink. You may need to do it a couple of times, but I've had luck every single time no matter how badly the food is stuck/burned on. (02/26/2010)
Try this, put about an inch and a half of water and add a dollop of baking soda and bring it to a boil. Cover and boil on a medium high heat for a while. Test it with a spoon every 10 minutes or so, until it's soft enough to scrape off. When you can scrape it off easily with a spoon, remove it from the heat, drain the water, and scrape off the rest of it. I've been doing this for years and it's always worked. Good luck,
Try a very fine emery cloth, That's the only thing that worked for my pan. I tried everything and nothing worked, but the emery cloth. I used a too course piece of the emery cloth and it did scratch mine so be careful. I was just thrilled that it was usable again.
Good luck. (02/26/2010)
Pour in some Coca-Cola (not diet) and heat it up on the stove. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes. Throw out the cola and wash with a scouring sponge to get off what you can. Repeat the process as often as is required and it will soon be all gone and shining like new. (02/26/2010)
Take liquid dishwasher detergent, smear the bottom of the pot. Let set a few hours, add water, bring to boil on the stove, then down to simmer. Do not boil dry. Let simmer up to a couple hours. Always fixes what husband burns on. (02/27/2010)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!