Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch

Condensation can build up inside a watch that is exposed to water or extreme humidity. This is a guide about removing condensation from inside a watch.

September 5, 2016 Flag

I have a beautiful Swiss Marin automatic watch. By accident it fell into a river and got wet inside, it took three days to dry out, but now it is not working. I opened it from the back and also when I shake it it starts running and in 10 seconds it stops again. I love this watch and need it in running form:'(
It is my favorite watch. What should I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the back of the watch comes off, use a blow dryer on low heat to dry the inside of the watch -- works wonders. If possible, do this outside in super cold weather so that you end up with the lowest possible dew point inside your watch when you are done. Allow the watch to cool before you put it back together.

Best Answer

I put watch face down on a bed of saltin a small tuperware container closed tight,let sit for 2 days and moisture was gone

June 13, 2012 Flag

How can i remove condensation from inside a watch?

By Rob J from Philadelphia, PA

Not sure if this will work but... I know that if you drop your cell phone in water and put it in a jar of rice (uncooked), the rice draws the moisture out of the phone. I've done it and it worked. You might try it with your watch.

Try leaving it on a sunny window sill for a few hours.

You need to take off the back of the watch (either screw or pry off) then remove the inner workings, if possible. Place everything under a lamp so the heat evaporates all moisture. Leave as long as needed. If you don't open the watch up, the moisture will rust the inner workings. Hope this helps. I actually do this at work as I work in a jewellery shop.

To protect the watch, wrap it loosely in a thin scrap of cotton cloth (a handkerchief works well). Then place it on a layer of silica gel (used for drying flowers - available in craft stores) and add a layer of silica gel on top. Leave it for a day or two and all moisture will be absorbed.

If you drop an automatic watch you can break the delicate balance staff, this will stop it running like you describe. A good watch maker should be able to fix this. It may require a new movement, but this should not be too bad. Most watches these days will take a quick dunk in the water, but if it isn't waterproof, I would probably think about spending the money on a good watch that's 100m water resistant like say a Seiko or citizen.

February 25, 2007 Flag

I bought a watch not realizing it was not water resistant. It got wet and now has condensation on the glass. How do I get rid of the condensation?

Sharon from Mililani, HI

If the back pops off of the watch (for battery replacement) take that off and blow dry the watch.

Put the watch in a small covered container with 1/4 cup uncooked rice. Let sit overnight. The rice draws out the moisture. The watch will work again.

used to happen all the time with a timex. I would dip my arm down in swim pool to check readings. It just dried out on its own, always kept working

If you can pop the back off, do it and let it air dry. I've done this more than once. lol

I had the this problem and was told by someone in a jewelry dept. to take the back off and let it air dry for a few days. It worked!!!

You could always place it above a reading lamp, or for that matter any lamp in the house and in a few hours the head from the lamp will dry it out.

Manila, Philippines: the rice solution works. I couldn't get the back off the watch. In the absence of any watch repair shops in the area, I put the watch in rice in a bag and left it in the sunlight for 24 hours. Result, no more condensation in the watch. Thanks for the suggestion.

But there's only 12 hours of sunlight a day

I have a swiss Marin automatic watch it fell down in the river and got

WetAnd now it stops running when i moves it it runs and again in a few second it stopes what should I do??

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

Home and Garden Repair Other WatchesJune 15, 2012
Car Window With Condensation
Removing Condensation from Car Windows
Mold on Window Seals
Getting Rid of Mold on Window Seals
Condensation in Mobile Home
Condensation in Mobile Home
Ceiling
Condensation Buildup on a Ceiling
🎉
🎄