Removing Dog Tear Stains

Category Health
Dog Eye
There are commercial products and home remedies to treat these stains on your dog's face. This is a guide about removing dog tear stains.

Use Clear Eyes, yes, the eye drops for humans. They have seven (I think) different formulations. Any of them will work. Place a couple of drops on the stain, gently scrub with a soft toothbrush. Leave it on for at least ten minutes then rinse and dry. I have English Bulldogs and repeated this process every other day. It took a couple of weeks before they were gone completely. I also place a very thin layer of Desitin diaper ointment on the formerly stained area after drying. That will help protect the area from staining in between treatments.

I asked my vet if this was okay and he said go for it. I had the duo in for their yearly vaccinations and he was amazed at how well it works. If you really want to get thrifty, you can look for a generic brand of Clear Eyes that has the same ingredients. That's what I'm going to try next.

Does anyone know a frugal way of safely removing tear stains from dogs' eyes? My best friend has two little Yorkies, and she said that the tear stain removal pads are very expensive. I tried Google, but only found a "recipe" that called for Milk of Magnesia and corn starch and that doesn't sound safe to me.

Thanks in advance! :-)

azDana from Tempe, AZ

Answers

I just use a tissue and some warm water; very inexpensive and easy to use. If it's still pretty tough to get rid of you might have to cut the hair around the eye to get it out.

http://www.dog-  .com/eyecare.htm

Here I found many options at approx $7 for 5oz liquid. I used to have a white chihuahua and a bottle ould last about 3 months. I think $2.50 a month is not too expensive to keep a poochie looking her best :)

I use the piece of tissue and water too. Frankly, I think it's safer than using chemicals near their eyes. Start at the corner of the eye and wipe down and away from the eye.

The other thing to do is to make sure to wipe their eyes off at least once a day. If you get the tears before they become crusty, it's a whole lot easier to keep them looking nice.

Try baby wipes, they're mild and soft; and as long as they (or the tissues and water, or anything else, for that matter) don't come in contact with the mucous membranes, they are fine. I used to use them on my babies' faces; and know they do that at the preschool where I work. (The ones without alchohol.)

I once read that the reason dogs get the red tear stains, is because there is red dye in their food. Dogs can't even see colors--the food is tinted so that it will look more appealing to humans. If the dogs are fed food or treats with red dye, you might suggest they try switching to ones without dye and see if that helps with the problem. I have made the suggestion to several folks who had excellent results.

My pediatrician told me to use a clean cotton ball with warm water, then dry with another clean cotton ball that is dry. Wipe from inner corner to outer. I would assume you would do the same for a dog. I wouldn't be surprised about the red dye...amazing things companies do for marketing! Diamond brand dog food is great for high nutrition and no additives at a fair price, and there are recipes for homemade dog biscuits.

Diamond Eye by Vitacoat is made for that. Also, not sure of the ratios, but I think you can also make a very weak solution of water and boric acid, please double check this though before doing.

My friend has a cocker spaniel and her vet told her to use triple antibotic salve on the corners near her eyes making sure it isn't in the eye though.. It seems to help..

My vet told me to use vaseline. I put it on the stain and let it set. Now mind you the stain itself won't come out, but the gunky buildup will. Then wipe it off with a damp rag.

Mi girl, Siri, has a staining problem. I agree with kathykl, using warm water and wash cloth on a nightly basis has helped greatly. Not only is the buildup under control and the staining less, she also seems to have less irritation as well.

P.S. I bought a whole stack of washclothes just for this purpose but at a bargain price, 24 for $3.00!

HI I USED ON MY YORKIE TESSA WARM WATER COTTON BALL TO WIPE HER EYES .

Try Purifeye - www.petpurity.com - It works wonders! And its all natural so its healthy!

Give the dog a teaspoon of plain yogurt once a week it will fight the yeast that is causing the red tear stains to begin with. It will take a few weeks to notice but it will cut down on the amount. In the mean time clean the eyes with baby wipes cut into smaller sections to save on the cost.

My dog has gotten such bad stains lately. My vet said its because of the drinking water. She said I should use a Brita to filter our water which will cut down on his acidity.

Science Diet dog food has something in it that stops the coloring all together. Unfortunately it is not the best food for your dog, but it's not the worst either.

I tried cider vinegar in the water but Ozzy wouldn't drink it. Others have found that it works.

A water filter might work by reducing the the amounts of minerals in the tears. Apparently the bacteria bonds with these as they oxidise to make the red yeast stains.

I also tried raw green vegetables, these did help a bit.

in the end I coughed up for a natural cure called Angels delight from http://bichonho  p;products_id=18

It was quite costly to begin with but once it has started working you only use it once a week.

Another alternative is tylosin but I wouldn't want to use an antibiotic on a regular basis

Once I switched to using only filtered water (Brita jug filter) in my dogs drinking bowl the tear stains disappeared.

www.petpurity.com

I have a darling Pomapoo! The beauty problem I have is the tears or fluid from the eyes that makes a dark reddish color under the eyes on her white fur. The pet shop recommended these $25.00 pills that included cranberries and marshmallow? Any other suggestions?

By Shelli M.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How do you get rid of eye stains on dogs? Are there home remedies that actually work, that are safe?

Don't give the dog(s) tap water. Use filtered water. It is worth the investment to get a filtered water pitcher or put a filter on your faucet. This change was all it took to clear our dog's eyes. Hope it works for you!

A product called Angel Eyes is a powder you put in food or water. You can check it on the web. Something better though I think after doing much research for the same problem as you. I changed my dogs food to Wellness Rice and Duck formula.I started with a 50/50 ratio of old and new, Within a week I seen a noticeable improvement. Now she's on 100% wellness... no more tears. And she's not as high strung as she was. Natural certainly makes a difference.

Hi, I use a wet wash cloth with hydrogen peroxide on it. My Boston terrier has white folds that get yucky and brown and this makes him white again and smelling fresh. PS- Just don't get it in their eyes, that is why I use a washcloth.

Our dog is a cross between American Eskimo and Miniature Poodle. She has the same problem as most Poodles, the eyes water and the snout gets a brown tint from the tears. Is there anything that can be done to stop the staining?

By Joe