Removing Dog Tear Stains

Category Health
There are commercial products and home remedies to treat these stains on your dog's face. This is a guide about removing dog tear stains.

Use Clear Eyes, yes, the eye drops for humans. They have seven (I think) different formulations. Any of them will work. Place a couple of drops on the stain, gently scrub with a soft toothbrush. Leave it on for at least ten minutes then rinse and dry. I have English Bulldogs and repeated this process every other day. It took a couple of weeks before they were gone completely. I also place a very thin layer of Desitin diaper ointment on the formerly stained area after drying. That will help protect the area from staining in between treatments.

I asked my vet if this was okay and he said go for it. I had the duo in for their yearly vaccinations and he was amazed at how well it works. If you really want to get thrifty, you can look for a generic brand of Clear Eyes that has the same ingredients. That's what I'm going to try next.

I have a darling Pomapoo! The beauty problem I have is the tears or fluid from the eyes that makes a dark reddish color under the eyes on her white fur. The pet shop recommended these $25.00 pills that included cranberries and marshmallow? Any other suggestions?

By Shelli M.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The person you need to contact is your Veterinarian to find the reason of this on-going situation. Don't be surprised if they prescribe a product called "Tear Drops" but this may not be just the cosmetic problem you are so concerned about.

Tear stains can happen from the alkalinity in your dogs body. Raw foods help, filtered water, and the whine vinegar changes the pH in the tears.

Does anyone know a frugal way of safely removing tear stains from dogs' eyes? My best friend has two little Yorkies, and she said that the tear stain removal pads are very expensive. I tried Google, but only found a "recipe" that called for Milk of Magnesia and corn starch and that doesn't sound safe to me.

Thanks in advance! :-)

azDana from Tempe, AZ

Try Purifeye - www.petpurity.com - It works wonders! And its all natural so its healthy!

Give the dog a teaspoon of plain yogurt once a week it will fight the yeast that is causing the red tear stains to begin with. It will take a few weeks to notice but it will cut down on the amount. In the mean time clean the eyes with baby wipes cut into smaller sections to save on the cost.

My dog has gotten such bad stains lately. My vet said its because of the drinking water. She said I should use a Brita to filter our water which will cut down on his acidity.

Science Diet dog food has something in it that stops the coloring all together. Unfortunately it is not the best food for your dog, but it's not the worst either.

I tried cider vinegar in the water but Ozzy wouldn't drink it. Others have found that it works.

A water filter might work by reducing the the amounts of minerals in the tears. Apparently the bacteria bonds with these as they oxidise to make the red yeast stains.

I also tried raw green vegetables, these did help a bit.

in the end I coughed up for a natural cure called Angels delight from http://bichonho  p;products_id=18

It was quite costly to begin with but once it has started working you only use it once a week.

Another alternative is tylosin but I wouldn't want to use an antibiotic on a regular basis

Once I switched to using only filtered water (Brita jug filter) in my dogs drinking bowl the tear stains disappeared.

www.petpurity.com

Warm water on a cotton ball. when giving them drinking water; no tap water but distill water instead. It's very simple but it works. I think I'll try the Vaseline idea too. It sounds like it would make the cleaning of the eye a lot easier. Thanks.

How do you get rid of eye stains on dogs? Are there home remedies that actually work, that are safe?

Don't give the dog(s) tap water. Use filtered water. It is worth the investment to get a filtered water pitcher or put a filter on your faucet. This change was all it took to clear our dog's eyes. Hope it works for you!

A product called Angel Eyes is a powder you put in food or water. You can check it on the web. Something better though I think after doing much research for the same problem as you. I changed my dogs food to Wellness Rice and Duck formula.I started with a 50/50 ratio of old and new, Within a week I seen a noticeable improvement. Now she's on 100% wellness... no more tears. And she's not as high strung as she was. Natural certainly makes a difference.

Hi, I use a wet wash cloth with hydrogen peroxide on it. My Boston terrier has white folds that get yucky and brown and this makes him white again and smelling fresh. PS- Just don't get it in their eyes, that is why I use a washcloth.

I wash my Boston Terriers face every morning giving special attention to the area under the eyes. I basically just use warm water on a washcloth. I haven't seen any tear stains for a long time now.

Our dog is a cross between American Eskimo and Miniature Poodle. She has the same problem as most Poodles, the eyes water and the snout gets a brown tint from the tears. Is there anything that can be done to stop the staining?

By Joe